Unsteady on feet - muscle spasms?

Joelswife

So Joel has been having trouble with pain in the back of his legs all the way from butt to calves, sometimes one leg, then the other, this morning he could barely stand up. I called the dr who admitted him to the hospital to rule out compressed spinal column? He is having MRI tonight. My question is couldn't it be muscle atrophy? Because of the pain, he hasn't been active which could cause muscle weakness which could cause pain and so on and so on. You can actually see his legs quivering. Anybody else have experience with this? Could it be from radiation? What could it be? We're both so exhausted. (heavy sigh)

I'm afraid it sounds exactly like my own legs when the blood clots surfaced. I had massive cramps in my calves and feet at first. I'm surprised the doc didn't order an ultrasound of the legs to be sure. I'm not trying to be an armchair doc....but blood clots in the legs are very scary things to have.

It turns out he has mets to his spine causing pain and weakness in his legs. He was released from the hospital with a prescription for Decadron and a muscle relaxer (and Prilosec; is that for the Decadron?) Meeting with the radiologist tomorrow to make a plan. Still planning on chemo starting Wednesday. I got him a cane with the 4 little legs to keep him steady. We have a home health nurse coming in starting tomorrow for physical therapy. He is so depressed and I hope he's not giving up.

In the last few days I've been given this feedback from friends and family: 1. Well, this is probably the beginning of the end. 2. These men just aren't willing to think about palliative care instead of a cure. 3. You know, he's just prolonging his life. and my favorite 4. If he doesn't accept Jesus Christ as his personal saviour, he will burn in hell. (Joel is Jewish) Mind you, it's hard to tell but these are people who love us. My mind is always boggled at what comes out of people's mouths. My neighbor asked me if I realize how ill he is and that I need to prepare myself. As if I don't wake up and go to sleep every day thinking that thought.

Just babbling. This is therapeutic for me.

oh, honey. this is a tough break but don't let the Negativos, as I have come to call them, get you!! you and joel will know best how to take care of joel. you're a loving and courageous partner to him, and I admire you!

hugs and much love and prayers (to our one, loving god)

xoxo

bunny

Isn't it just amazing what people have to say? I heard so many of the same type of things when Dennis was ill. Can't people understand that cancer patients and their families are fighting and need to keep their spirits high? You know, my mom used to be a firm believer in that old phrase, "if you can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything at all." Well, I think a similar phrase would be in order for cancer patients and their families. "If you can't say something positive, yet comforting, just keep your blankety-blank mouth shut." I'm sure the doctor will get Joel back on track! I'll be praying that he's feeling better and that your friends are more sensitive!!!

Pam,

Prayers to you and Joel.

What has amazed me about the situation with Alan and I is all the people who tell me how I should feel and act doing this process. I just want to scream to them "I hope you are never in my shoes to find out what this ordeal is really like" :x:x

Keep your chin up and keep doing what is right for you and Joel.

Dear Pam... Words are hard to put together after hearing news like this. Maybe your close family and friends are just reaching out to you in the wrong ways right now...try some tenderness all around. Good luck wishes for you both. Keep coming here for the extra strength you'll likely need.

Thanks all, you're all exactly right, maybe I wouldn't have know what to say if it was the other way around. I find a big hug takes care of most situations. Joel has started muscle relaxer and the decadron and he already seems much much better. They started radiation on the spine immediately. This onc is SO thorough; we feel very supported and cared for.

Sorry to hear about your Joel's setback. But it seems he is bouncing back already. I know he will be feeling better soon.

He must keep a positive attitude through this all this as that is what will help him to heal. He must Never Give Up!!! He will get through this, and he will be feeling much better soon with the medication and the treatments.

Prayes sent to him.

Maryanne