Crazy Drug Companies

SBeth

I'm dumbstruck! Two weeks ago, when Bill's father was hospitalized, the drug company that was providing him with Tarceva was calling our home every night asking us when we were going to return the unused Tarceva. Over the weekend we retrieved one partially used bottle and one unopened bottle from his home (roughly 50+ pills). I just spoke with a drug rep who advised me that since the patient is now deceased we should just flush these pills down the toilet. Had he been released from the hospital and continued on the Alimta, they would need them back, but since he is deceased, they cannot take them back. When I pushed back for an explanation because their logic makes no sense, I was stonewalled and given no further information. I cannot believe that I am being asked to dispose of such an expensive medication. There has got to be a better way! No solutions, just confusion over the system.

Thanks for letting me vent!

This is absolutely nuts. I seem to have a very hard time understanding how "the system" works. Now...how is Bill doing? I'm praying for lots of good days. The two of you never seem to leave my thoughts!

Thanks for asking Ann. Bill is doing WONDERFUL. His father's anticipated and expected death gave him a great deal of comfort for two reasons. He was able to "take care" of his father's last wishes and put him to a peaceful rest and he was able to spend the last moments with him and know that he went with no pain and with absolute peace. Beyond all of that, Bill is physically doing incredible. Appetite is obsolete, but other physical issues seem to be slowing resolving themselves and he is doing WONDERFUL. We are taking the days one at a time and we look forward to the holiday season with great joy and peace. Thank you again Ann for asking!

Love,

Beth, I am so glad to hear that Bill is doing well. As I said, I think of you both so often. Your posts have so touched my heart and it seems that each one has brought back so many feelings for me. I know that Bill must feel at ease after being able to fulfill his fathers wishes. It's often so very hard to let things go undone. I think you are a wonderful wife and caregiver. It sounds like Bill definitely had big doses of the very best medicine....LOVE!!!! I'm always remembering you in my prayers!

Drug companies-who knows!

I am surprised tho that since the meds were in your home they would want them back. I have always been under the impression once they were given out they would not take them back. Tampering-you know. Not to say that you would do that but medical companies see so many law suits that I would think they would tell you to dispose of any unused meds.

Cindy

I Work For Ruths Chris Steakhouse as a pastry chef and we get the drug sales reps booking dinners to promote and educate the Oncs at the Hospital around the corner. Did anyone know that supposedly Michael moore is working on a documentary about the companies? They called us to see oif he was in the area and they check for recording devices befor e the dinners. Now I know why the high prices. We are not cheap and that is a known fact.