Update from Z

z

Hi Folks,

It has been a while since I posted here... I have been distracted with therapy, depression and anxiety... but here is an update:

I went through radiation (7 weeks) and concurrent chemo (6 weeks weekly). I handled that pretty well - worked through it somehow.

This week The Ct/PET scans showed that the tumor has shrunk from 4cm to 1.7 cm diameter and the lymph nodes seem clear. Next is mediastanoscopy on Monday. If lymph nodes are clear, they want to go for surgery. May take only my middle lobe out, may take both out - not sure till they go in. Then comes more chemo.

This is the protocol I am in. http://www.rtog.org/members/protocols/0 ... .html#0229

I am terrified of the surgery and chemo and everything. This last month has been hell. It dawned on me that I will not be able to work (I do not think my job will allow that) and will run out of money. Family and friends are supportive, but I am still terrified. How do you all manage financially?

I am curious to learn more about the surgery - what to expect and plan for. How does it all feel? Can you please share some of your experience? Especially if you have had surgery after radiation

Thanks,

Z

Hi Z,

Can't really answer your questions but sure someone will come along with some help. Some of the best advice I have received since coming here, is to ask lots and lots of questions, read all you can and basically become an expert on the particular type of cancer you have and try to take someone with you to your dr's appointments. Four ears and two brains are very helpful! :D

Wishing you all good things from here on out and keeping you in my prayers! Please keep us posted.

Libby

Good news on the shrinkage! Keep up the good work!

I know there has been lots of good info on the borad here about paying for cancer treatments. I don't know enough about al of the resources out there, but I hope you will find what you need.

Hold on to the positives. Take care of yourself.

:) Kelly

Hi Z.

I know it is scary, but you are in a rather enviable positon. You have a shot at getting rid of the cancer for good. I have had 2 surgerys and went through it just fine. However, I have never had radiation. I think that could make the surgey more difficult.

I was lucky in that I had primary and secondary health insurance. I had plenty of sick leave to use for convalescence and chemo treatment. I hope you get the financial aspect figured out. I would jump at the chance for surgery and figure out the rest later.

Don M

Hi z.

I am of the mindset that depression and anxiety are hindrances to good healing chemicals. If you think for one second that an anti-depressant or anti-anxiety medication may help to chase the boogiemen away, then I would highly recommend talking to a trusted doctor about this, if you haven't already. I don't mind saying for one moment that in my pharm. armamentarium, I use a daily anti-depressant that has some anti-anxiety properties. I attribute that this med has helped tremendously to balance out some brain chemicals for me. No shame. None at all. I have no more control over my brain chemicals than I have control over my height or how much insulin I produce or any other chemical that my body produces.

I will take an anti-anxiety med at times (seldom now) when I feel overwhelmed. Having money problems on top of serious health problems creates too much stress. File for Social Security Disability Insurance today, if you haven't already. Even if you don't think you will qualify or whatever reason your brain may tell you not to, do it anyway. If and when you qualify, it will be from the date you filed. So, do it now.

More later.

Everything will work out okay. You will be all right.

Cindi o'h

I agree with all of the above - there's no shame in better living through chemistry, with a doctor's guidance.

also, I don't want to lecture you - but you have rights regarding your job, especially if your treatment essentially renders you disabled for a period of time. I encourage you to talk to someone (a lawyer, social worker at the hospital) about this. if you want, you can PM me and I will give you the basics. look, it's going to be hard, for sure, but like I said, you do have rights and people get through this!

I hear how scared you are. I encourage you to get some help with the job/money stuff, so you can use all your energy against the evil cancer rays!!!

we're here for you.

xoxo

bunny

Z,

My husband Alan has been on Anti-depressants pretty much since day 1 (sometimes I wish I was on them also). I think it has been a big benefit.

Now for the job issue, Alan is collecting temporary disablity at the moment and probably will qualify for permante disablity once that runs out. I would check into those options asap. I heard nightmares about how long it would take for the paper work to go throw, howver, with Alan's temporary disablity, I mailed the paper work out on a Wed and we had our 1st check on Monday!!!!!

As Alan has small cell lung cancer surgery was never an option for him, so I am unable to offer any advice there.

I will pray that things work themseleves out for you

It sounds like you have some really great things going for you. I am so glad that surgery is an option. Follow Cindi's advice. We were told that cancer patients can be approved right away for benefits. If that's not the route you want to take right now, then talk to Bunny about your work rights. Saying prayers that everything works out for you.

Well, Mediastinoscopy showed all lymph nodes tested clear, except for one. So surgery is still possible, but not as strong a recommendation as if all lymph nodes are clear.

So, I have to decide... to be or not to be?

Z

Do check into the disability angle...you should not have to worry about money right now, you need to focus all your energy on beating the cancer.

My FIL is 81...his mediatinscopy showed one lymph node affected, so off he went to surgery. They ran into some complications - had to take more than they had planned, parts of his lung were stuck to his chest cavity, etc. But, he came through it very well. I would say that the first couple weeks were the hardest, but then after that he rebounded remarkably well. They did find when they were in there that more of his LN's were affected than what they thought...but now, at least the main tumor is gone, so all the chemo needs to do is to stop what is going on in his LN's. I am hopeful that this is to his benefit.

Good luck in your decision...I was amazed at how well my FIL recovered from the surgery..but it is major surgery and it is a big decision!

z,

I second all the good advice that's already been shared. Just wanted you to know that your medical situation seems more positive than negative right now and that's a good thing.

Sorry you didn't get the clear-cut, definitive answers that would make your decision easier. If I had personal experience I'd share it. But I just have strength and caring thoughts to send you.

Leslie

I don't know what you should decide, but if you do go for the surgery, it is not easy, but lots of us have done it. I was told from day one that surgery is the chance for a cure, and I wanted cure, so for me, it was full steam ahead for surgery.

For me, I was lucky in that I didn't have money worries or job worries as I had spent 25+ years at my job and had all kinds of accumulated sick time that I could use.

Surgery was on Friday morning, I was discharged from the hospital Monday around noon. I had a follow-up appt with my surgeon 10 days later (on a Thursday), and at that time, I was told I could go back to work. I did go back to work the following Tuesday, and looking back, it might have been a little early, but I wanted so badly to get back to my normal life, I forced myself.

I then started chemo about a month and a half after surgery. Had my chemo on Thursday, and usually spent Friday at home, but I could have worked. It really wasn't that bad for me.

And, I came out on the other end feeling really well, and that is continuing to this day. I would gladly do it all again for the same results.

Good luck with your decision....I hope everything works out for you...

Cindy

Praying for the best Z. I had chemo and radiation before surgery. None of it is simple but the good news is that was 8 years ago and I am here to talk about it and living my life. Waiting to hear your plan. Donna G

Z, surgery is obviously the most aggressive attack on the cancer. It is the best course of action to get rid of it. It is a bit painful but doable. It will take at least 6 weeks to feel okay from it. In three months you will be much better. I know I had my left lung removed on 9/7/05.

You will be okay.

As far as work, they must allow you at least 12 weeks sick leave under the federal Family & Medical Leave Act.

Yes, I am going for the surgery cause everyone is saying that is the best chance for cure... even though I have a hard time seeing cutting parts of my biody as healing. But, moving ahead and doing whatever I have to do to fight the demon...

I believe that does not apply to organizations with less than 50 employees in country, which mine is I think. Also, I just started this job in June and do nto have much leave collected, so it will all have to be unpaid leave... and not much savings here:(

Z

z,

You sound a little better in your second post - hope you are feeling a little more accepting, a little better preapred to go into this now.

There are a lot of links on many of these forums to places for financial help and advice for cancer patients. They're usually posted as Stickies at the head of the forum where they don't get pushed down.

The American Cancer Society web site has lots of guidance. Start checking some of those out. If you can get one logistical fear taken care of, you'll feel much better about facing the surgery and recovery.

Sending caring thoughts and strength,

Leslie

If surgery is an option I would definetly opt for that. You are fortunate it is an option. They will know better what is going on once the are inside.

The surgery is tough but certainly doable. Joel is one year yesterday since his surgery and he is doing great. We thank G-d he had it done. Everything he went through is just a distant memory.

You will get through this. The anticipation is the hardest and in your case the financial burden.

Sorry I cannot help you with the financial stuff. Joel was under my medical and I kept the ball rolling.

Good luck,

Maryanne