Questions on Radiation for IIIB

BarbaraL

I've seen a lot of discussion here from survivors and caregivers about radiation treatment for stage IIIB and IV. Is there any general consensus about this? No one has discussed any possibility of radiation in my case.

I understand that radiation is used on specific mets areas, to shrink or eliminate tumors, but does anyone know what criteria are generally used to determine the use of radiation?

Specifically, I had malignant pleural effusion (the effusion--or at least the symptoms--was entirely taken care of by a pleurectomy), which some docs treat as stage IV. I've been staged as IIIB, with lymph node involvement in both the hilar and mediastinal areas.

Anyone have experiences close to mine? Has radiation been used, where and to what effect? Is this something I should be pressing my onc about?

I'm expecting results from yesterday's CT scan tomorrow or Monday, so anything anyone might share would be helpful and most appreciated!

Barbara

We were told that radiation is used when (1) the site is causing severe pain to the patient and/or (2) when the tumor endangers the integrity of the site (such as bone fracture). Lucie had radiation on two sites for both reasons, one site for pain and another for integrity of the bone. Don

My dad is a stage IIIB and he had radiation applied to his lung to supress the cough that he had from it. They say a combo of chemo and radiation is equal to surgery. My dad was dx exactly a year ago and he is still here and because of this website i have motivated my dad to be positive and we will all succeed. I truly believe that God works wonders and he is blessing us every day.

My Mom has IIIB Lung Cancer and is going through Chemo and Radiation for 7 weeks. At first she had 2 rounds of Chemo Cisplatin and Taxotere and the tumor shrunk from 6 down to 4 and then they started her on the radiation and chemo. She finishes her treatment next week and then about 2 weeks they will do a CT scan to see how she is doing. Good Luck I hope everything works out for you.

Tammy

My husband had brain surgery, then whole brain radiation and then had his upper right lobe and some lymph nodes removed. His onc. and rad onc said no radiation was needed.

However, his thoracic surgeon said I was in there, I saw what I saw and I believe that radiation is the right thing. Yep, he had rad. Fortunately, he really did not have severe side effects.

Oh by the way, then his onc. said he thought 3 taxotere treatments couldn't hurt. Yep he had chemo.

The children and I have encouraged Earl to have every and all treatment offered. (So easy for us to say) We believe it is just another insurance policy against this dreadful disease.

My s/o is having 6 weeks of radiation (he's just finished week 3 and he's getting ready to start his second round of chemo monday, 6 days worth. of cisplatin and etoposide. This is the second round with these two chemo drugs.. Then they are gonna do another ct scan and see how things work, but they plan to do 2 more rounds both being 4 days each, with a different chemo combo,(Originally they planned to start him on his second round 2 weeks from Monday, but decided he handled the chemo well and they said they wanted to be more aggressive especially since he also has 2 places on his liver, and they said they really don't want that much time between his chemo sessions. We also didn't know about the other 2 sessions they are now planning to do) we don't know what those two drugs will be yet... He also has 3 tumors in three lymphnodes in the mediastinal area. One tumor is as large as 2.8 x 2.8cm or was before he started treatment... I'm anxious to find out how his treatments are working... Good Luck and my prayers are with you!!

I believe combined modality (chemo AND radiation) is the best for stage III. Here is one article. You can search on the web for other evidence.

There are certain caveats, such as performance status must be very good, etc.

http://www.bccancer.bc.ca/HPI/CancerMan ... INSCLC.htm

You could ask the Dr. again. What are the pros/cons for combination chemo/radiation

Take care

Barbara,

My mom is also stage IIIB with lymph node involvement. Initially her oncologist had hestitated about radiation. Then she met with her radiation oncologist who gave her the most support. He told her he felt nothing but good could come from doing radiation. She had radiation directed at the mass in her lung and the lymph nodes. The lump in her neck (the reason she found out she had lung cancer) is almost gone. We found out next week how she is doing. But I think the radiation was very successful. She had side effects such as burned esophogas and burned skin (much like a bad sunburn). These have cleared up now. You should question the doctor or obtain a second opinion. All the best to you.