My Sister, Laurianne was diagnosed with Lung Cancer

Hello, everyone.

I thought that this might be a good place to come to for information and support. My younger sister, Laurianne was diagnosed with non-smoking related lung cancer two days after the birth of her son. She had a very aggressive cancer, and had to endure a operation to have a brain tumor removed in September. In October, she died from complications of the disease. Her son was only 4 1/2 months old at the time. (Her story is published at http://www.4walc.org/stories.cfm?storyid=32 if you would like more details about Laurianne.)

I feel like my purpose in life is to speak out about this terrible disease. Many people ask me is my sister was a smoker. We grew up in California where you aren't even allowed to smoke in restaurants. Laurianne never worked or lived in a smoking environment. I fight the stigma that lung cancer is caused by smoking. People will even say to me, "Oh, even second-hand smoke can get you." It bothers me now that people assume that smokers deserve this disease and it is only caused by smoking. I hope to change that perception with my sister's story, even though before June of this year I was also ignorant of the fact non-smokers could get this disease.

Thank you all for reading, and I wish you good health, and if you suffer from lung cancer, a speedy recovery.

Lynda Koning Scherf

Lynda,

I see you have met one of our other members as she organized the "Shine a Light on Lung Cancer" event. Your sister's story is so heart wrenching--to be taken away from her son so soon. I am so glad you are honoring her by speaking out about lung cancer. Welcome to the site.

Rochelle

Shelly, I am truly surprised by how much lung cancer has affected your family. Not only your mom and dad, but also your father-in-law. It is my sincere hope that a cure will be found soon.

Calem is about 3 months in that picture. She got the picture taken before she started chemo, because she didn't want pictures of herself bald. Ironically, she never lost her hair. :D

Ry - I probably have met a member, but I am not sure who. I actually spoke on my sister's behalf at Shine a Little Light on Lung Cancer on November 4 in Santa Rosa CA. They had asked my sister to speak before she died. I remember she called me the night before to tell me about it.

One of the organizers husband died of lung cancer two days after my sister did. She and I have corresponded a bit. Perhaps this is the member you are speaking of. I do remember that lchelp.org was a link in the programming, and we have it linked in the blog my dad and I share called Laurianne's Hope.

welcome Lynda.

so very tragic to lose a dear sister. I am very sorry for your tremendous loss for all of Laurieann's family.

The people you were in contact with sound just like Steven and Joyce Niefert.

Thank you so much for your compassion, wisdom, and activism. Your sister would be proud of you.

Cindi o'h

I thought that this might be a good place to come to for information and support.

You are in the right place. Welcome to our little family. Sorry to hear about your sister. Visit us often. We are here for you. You will find loads of info here. Whatever you are feeling at the time, someone here has traveled in your shoes. Stay with us and keep us informed of your sister's progress while we travel this road together. We will cry with you or laugh with you,. Just let us know what your needs are. Again, Welcome.

welcome, Lynda. I am so sorry that you have lost your sister, and right after her son was born. My wife also is a non-smoker, who never lived in a smoking household. She resents when people ask first thing on learning of the lung cancer, "Did you smoke?", because it does have an accusatory tone. You are right that we need to educate the populus. Glad you are here. Don

Joyce Neifert is exactly who I talked to. She came to my sister's memorial and was very supportive. I didn't just want to throw out names, though.

Thank you all for your warm welcomes. I appreicate it. Don, I always tell people right off the bat, non-smoking related lung cancer, just to reduce my irriation. :D I use to say non-smoking lung cancer, and many times they would assume second-hand smoke. However, like your wife, I would rather say lung cancer, and have people say, "Oh, I am so sorry to hear about that. Wasn't it treatable?" or anything besides, "Did she smoke?" People don't ask that accusatory question with other cancers.

Welcome to our family Lynda,

First of all, I want to say, I am so very very sorry for the loss of your sister. I can only try to imagine how devastating this must have been for you. You are in the right place for information, love , and support.

No one "deserves" to have cancer of any kind . The stigma that people attach to smoking and lung cancer has hurt us all. My husband did smoke and his cancer was most likely caused by smoking , but I feel he is a cancer patient just like any other and yes we have the right for support and compassion as in any other kind of cancer. You are in the right place to find people that support your viewpoint. We are all either patients or have had loved ones affected by this horrible disease.

God Bless,

Sue

I am so sorry to hear about your tremendous loss, but glad you've come to us with your activist spirit. this is an incredible place, and I got chills reading your post, when I realized you met our Joyce...

we're with you in your grief, and your fight. Calem is beautiful!

xoxo

amie

Hi Lynda,

I live in the Santa Rosa area and read about your sister in the local paper. I remember being so sad that the obituary said that she died of non-smoking related lung cancer...like it had to be explained to the public. It's not fair that lung cancer patients are any different than any other type of cancer patients. It drives me nuts! I really wanted to make it to that Shine a Little Light event, but didn't have a babysitter..

Anyway..thanks for helping to make people more aware of this disease. Laurianne seems like she was a wonderful person...her picture is just beautiful with she and her son.

Cathy

Lynda,

I'm sorry to respond to you so late. Just saw your post.

I think we will all feel very lucky to have you as one of the group - you seem very thoughtful and articulate. I hope you will be able to achieve wonderful things in your sister's memory.

Reading your sister's story reminds me that we can never take life for granted. The love in her eyes while she holds her baby struck a deep chord in me and, though I never met her, I will never forget her.

Leslie