I'm feeling fine - Saturday update-long

Leslie221

When Mom's hair started to fall out from chemo and she was tired of picking off all the strays from her pillow and clothing, she decided to have a "head-shaving party." At her request, my two sisters-in-law and I took turns with the electric clippers, and she agreed to have a post-buzz cut pic taken with my dad, who is nearly bald but for the ring of short hair around the head! It made it much less traumatic, she says.

You can get a fringe of bangs or rim of bangs and nape and sides hair that velcro into hats and scarves. They look good.

Practice with an eyebrow pencil. Everyone looks better with eyebrows, even when they have no eyelashes.

Get really great shade of lipstick. It keeps everyone's eyes off your hairlessness.

Schedule a massage. Bubble baths are good for the spirit (if you are a bath person). Chocolate is a must.

I hope all goes well for you.

~Suz

Leslie,

I've been in wigs now since April. I can't tell you how many times strangers in the street have stopped to tell me they love my hair and where do I either have it colored or cut!!! Even people I know that don't know I'm sick have told me my hair looks great. Go with synthetic. Cheaper and easier to keep up. The handmade top will look much more natural because you see through the part to your head and it really looks real. There are probably some wig stores where you live where you can try on different styles and colors.

Hey Leslie....Joanie too!!!!!

I have been in wigs since Christmas week last year. And Joanie...the same thing has happened to me at least 25 times or MORE! I had to use lots of products to gete my 'real' hair to be anywhere near presentable. Now....I can be ready lickety split and look good too. No one EVER told me my own hair looked great!!! In fact, my hair probably could come out on its own now - but it has come back even worse than before and I still LOVE my bought hair.

Kasey

Leslie, I am so very glad to find that you're feeling better about this entire thing. You always have such a great attitude and it really worried me to see you so down, although I can understand how very worried you were. I think that the hot pink mask will be a perfect color choice for you!

Leslie...you are so upbeat and inspirational!! I am so happy to read your post and to hear that you have a treatment plan in place, lots of support and help from your friends, and the same support from your workplace. I am hoping that your treatments go well.

Pleas keep us posted ,and know that you are in our prayers.

Dear Leslie,

You sound GREAT!! What a wonderful fighting attitude you have. Thats the way to beat it girl!! My Sister had breast cancer and lost all her hair and wore wigs. Before losing it she got herself a really nice one and also bought herself a short sporty sexy one for at home. At bedtime she wore a cap. She did say the wigs made her head hot. Her own hair has grown back in and looks wonderful. She likes it far better than she did her original hair!!

Keep up that wonderful attitude and you will be just fine!!

God Bless You,

Jane

Leslie,

Sounds like you are feeling much more comfortable with the radiation treatments. And you are very well informed. Your doctors did a good preparing you. I'm jealous, your mask sounds "cool"! Hot pink! Mine was plain old white :? .

My hair fell out too. I had 10 treatments total and the day after the last treatment it started falling out. My husband shaved my head for me as I've been through the losing the hair thing before and it is miserable to watch it come out slowly every day. Better just to shave it all off.

I'm not a wig girl myself. Here in Houston it gets so hot, and after being bald with the previous chemos, everyone was used to seeing me that way. I also just go with a baseball cap and when I was really bald, I'd wear a bandana under the hat.

It took 1 full year for my hair to even "start" to grow back. Some places it never came back.

Good luck tomorrow. Let us know how you are doing.

TAnn

Well,

This is my last night as a non-radiated person! :wink: My friend John kidded me I would be popular at black-light poster parties from now on.

I went to work this afternoon for 4 hours and just loved getting my mind off everything and being busy. It was a beautiful sunny winter day here - in the 50's! WOOHOOO!

What are ya gonna do? Just got to go through it. Git 'er done, as some wise man here said. Gonna shave the hair. It's COLD here this time of year, so I'm hoping I will like having something on my head.

Going to bed now. Big day tomorrow. Next time I talk to all of you, the first treatment will be a thing of the past and I'll start getting into the routine.

You're all my best medicine. Night night, everyone. Talk to you tomorrow.

Leslie

Leslie,

By choice I keep my hair at 1/4 inch long,

fun for summer but very cold for winter up in

Canada.

A friend tried those, perfect, now

I make them for the cancer society in my spare time

and we give them to all women that are losing their hair to chemo or radiation

http://www.headhuggers.org/patterns/kpatt10.htm

I have a few left as we finished our Christmas

distribution.

You want one, just PM me and I'll put it in the

mail.

So soft, the pattern was from this forum a few years back.

Hugs

Jackie

Be thinking of your girlfriend. I know you will get through this with flying colors. Lean on us whenever you need us. We would love to give back some of that enthusiasm you give others on here.

Jackie, they are adorable. You actually make these? It is amazing the talent that some of our members have. Awesome, Jackie.

Leslie honey, Good luck to you.

Love ya xxxxxo

Maryanne