Hello New Here too and My Dad has NSCLC

Cndgrl

Hi my name is Trish and we just found out my dad has NSCLC that has metastasized to his brain. He is stage IV and just getting ready to start his first radiation treatments for the brain lesions. Then in January he will be starting chemo.

This has been really difficult for my family as he just turned 60 and is in great health. It is really strange as he has no real symptoms he only had a couple of episodes of strange lights in his vision and told mom who works at the hospital for a neurologist. Mom then told her doctor in passing and the neurologist brought him in that day for a checkup and we found the tumors in his brain and that they were secondary cancer. A few tests later we were told that he has a primary tumor in his right lung that is an area that is inoperable.

I flew in to be here to help my parents as my mom and dad are having a difficult time with this. They live in Ottawa and I am out in San Jose. I am still in a state of disbelief that this is happening I keep hoping that all these doctors have made a mistake or that I’ll wake up and it will all be a dream.

Trish

Welcome Trish.

So sorry your family has had this shock. And it IS a shock. These first months will be the hardest emotionally because it's all so new and unknown. But it does get easier in time especially when your Dad's treatments get underway and a routine is established.

I was diagnosed last January with Stage IV NSCLC and bone mets. Had no reason to see it coming. That's the way it is for most of us, unfortunately. The nature of this disease is that it's hard to detect early with the current tests considered routine in medical field and by insurance companies.

I've had a fantastic year since diagnosis. Nothing like I expected when I first heard the scary news and read all the awful old statistics written before recent treatment options. Don't read 'em - they aren't very relevant now and every single person who gets this disease will have a different experience with it.

Just found out this week I have brain mets. Starting radiation next week. So I will share a lot of your dad's experiences. Happy to talk to you any time. This board and this family will come to be a tremendous source of strength and comfort to you.

Leslie

(Many family members are in San Jose and I lived there 20 years ago. Know the area well.)

Hi Trish: welcome to the group. I still find it hard to believe that I got cancer. It was a dreamlike experience to be sure. I am done with my treatment and am cancer free now. The treatments available now can bring many good years of survivorship to people with late stage cancer. Tell your dad to hang in there and you too.

Don M

Hi Trish,

Welcome. As everyone has said, sorry you have to be here - but glad you found us.

Those first few weeks are the hardest.

I too have been dc'd with nsclc w/ mets to brain. Stage IV . They told me the WORST news when I got the diaganosis. I refuse to believe that we only have so long because of this nasty disease. If you read my bio, you will see that I have had 2 treatments to the brain tumors ( called steriotactic radiosurgery ) I've done 38 radiation treatments. I was diagnosed in May of 05. I also had 4 taxol/carbo chemo treatments. I am now on Tarceva...and doing well !!

Like your dad, and many of us, I had no symtoms to make me think CANCER !

I too am waiting for someone to shake me awake and tell me it's all been a dream.

If I can help in ANY way you can contact me and I'll try to help. The people here have a multitude of knowledge and experience. The support you will find here is the best.

Good luck to the family and will keep you in my prayers.

sue

Hi Trish,welcome to our suppport family.There are lots of knowing and caring folks here to help you along this roller coaster ride.It is scary and emotional and often times tough to do.

You will find many here that are surviving and fighting each day with you.Just about anything that comes along someone here has been there and done it and will be able to help.

Hi Trish -

I echo what everyone else has says - especially that the first weeks/months are devastating and seem like a nightmare. I think sobbed everyday for a couple of weeks...and really didn't think I could get through what the future would bring. Yet, now I have good days and crappy ones (as does my mom.) Just be there for your parents, ask questions, use this group to support you. I live in San Francisco, although I moved back to Utah to be with my mom during this journey and to have my first baby due ANY DAY now.

We are all here for you.

Holly

Hi Trish,

Sorry to hear about your Dad...its good that you are with your parents for support and to help them. I found this site a little late to help me while my Mom was sick so Im glad yu got here so quick. The kpeople who have experienced lung cancer give advice that is unrivaled. Best of luck...Janet

Once you have a plan in place, things will seem alot more hopeful than they do right now. No one likes to hear lung cancer. No one likes to hear brain mets. When you and your folks get going on treatment, you will be amazed at the knowledge and dedication of the people who will care for him and your family. Let us know if you need any help with sorting out details.

Cindi o'h

Hi Trish,

Welcome here. As you can see by all the posts there is so much support here.

I know what you mean by this being a dream. When my husband was first diagnoised it really felt like that. But he was lucky the caught it early and operated to get it out.

Your dad's doctors seems like they have a good plan for him. I will get easier when he starts his treaments and gets into a routine. If one treatment does not work, they will try another until they find one that does. Hang in there and keep a positive attitude, especially around your parents.

Please know Trish even though you dad is staged at IV, he can beat the odds. Soooo many people have. LC is not a death sentence like it used to be. There are so many more treatments today than years ago.

Just be there as much as you can for your dad and your mom. You live far, there is the telephone. Check in everyday just to see how he is progressing. Never go one day without telling him how much you love him.

We are here 24/7. We will give advice, send prayers or give you support whenever you feel you need it.

Maryanne

Welcome & sorry.

I am still quite new. My father too was diagnosed with NSLC this year in June. Luckily I only lived 20 miles from him and in the beginning could come and go quite alot - its so much to take in and understand and I think crying is all part and parcel of it. I have since moved home to help him and my mother. All i can say is at the m,oment I am still very upset and haven't found that it gets much better but you have to forget about that, stop worrying about you and how this has made you feel and put all your energy into helping him get better and making him happy and as comfortable as possible. Also keep positive no matter what stay positive!

Hello Trish,

I know how difficult it is to learn that a parent has lung cancer.

It knocks you off your feet to hear the words.

I'm so sorry you are going through this.

Lean on us here for support. There are so many knowledgeable people here who have been through so much.

Prayers being sent for you and your family.

Welcome to our group :D

Hugs,

Melinda

Hi Trish....Sorry about your Dad but like these wonderful people on this board told you...It WILL get better even thou it's hard to believe now....When I was first dx...it knocked me for a loop....I felt like I was in "la la" land....Had no symptom's what so ever and no cancer in our family from way back when...

Guess this monster has to start somewhere....grrrrrr

I was fortunate to have it caught in time and dx 1A with no other treatments...Thank you Jesus...but there are many people here like Maryanne said that are dx IV and doing well...Once a treatment plan is in effect things will be looking much brighter...

Many prayers will be said for your Dad...cause we all pray for each other here and prayer's work...when prayer's go up...blessing come down...I know it is hard right now...but please don't feel 'gloom and doom"...Keep the faith and alway's think positive...

God Bless your DAD and all of you..PamS.