New to Site

CR

Interested in talking with people who are taking Tarceva or Zometa. I have been on these drugs for a while now, curious as to side effects people are experiencing, and just how long people have been able to continue to take these drugs.

Chris

Hi Chris, Welcome to the site. I have been on Tarceva since Feb of this year. Had constant diarrhea in the beginning so the dosage was dropped from 150 to 100 mg. Got the rash in the beginning and had it for about 2 or 3 months or so but went away. Just had my latest Ct Scan (posted in Good News) results and am doing very well with It. Staying on it indefinitely. Hope this helps.

Rich

Hi CR,

I've been on Zometa since I started treatment in May of this year. The very first time I had some flu like symptoms. After that everything was fine. In fact, now that my chemo is over and I'm just on Avastin, they still keep giving me the Zometa.

Wishing you the best with your treatments.

Welcome CR,

I've only been treated with either Iressa or Tarceva since dx in January. No problems with either and have been able to live my normal life all this tiem Quite a surprise! Some mild acne-like rash on face, dry skin, mild diahrrea once a wekk. I had bone mets at dx, so I get Zometa each month. I've never felt any effects! I've never had any pain in my bones and don't want to start.

Despite GREAT chest CT's all along, I went from shrinkage last month to slight progression this month! And discovered this week I have 8 brain mets! :roll: So, everyone, including the onc is shocked. I started radiation to the brain next week and onc has me taking 2 Tarcevas then skipping a day to see what happens.

Lots of Tarceva and Zometa users on this board. Do a search at the top of the page and you'll find lots of info!

Sorry you had to find us, but welcome aboard!

Leslie

hello Chris

My husband is on iressa which is similar to tarceva.

He has been on this drug for one year now and is stable (or ned they are no sure which). Side effects have been manageable diarrhea and skin rashes acne. Long may this last

Best wishes

Jennie

Jennie,

I was on Irressa for 4 months prior to switching to Tarceva. Like your husband my tumors were on the pluera as well. What is a pluerodesis? What if anything has he found to make the rash manageable?

My Rash has not let up and appears to be getting worse. I guess I shouldnt complain, all things consisdered. Besides rash, I lead a normal life as you can get after being dx.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I don't have any experience about the drugs you mentioned but there are several others here that have and can answer your questions. I want to say welcome to our little family. You will find loads of info here. Whatever you are feeling at the time, someone here has traveled in your shoes. Stay with us and keep us informed of your progress while we travel this road together. We will cry with you or laugh with you. Just let us know what your needs are. The best advice I can offer you is to take it one day at a time and don't read between the lines. No need to borrow trouble. Again, Welcome.

hello Chris

Pluerodesis is done when there is fluid between the pluera and lung. (This is not very technical). Luckily they found there was no cancer cells in the fluid. I believe they seal the cavity so no more fluid can accumulate. (They sometimes call this talc procedure). The only problem is that this area area always lights up on a pet scan due to this procedure so one never knows whether this is tumor or aftermath of procedure. [Hope this is understandable]. The rash was at first unsightly. Now it has cycles of severity although it is manageable. Barry does not like using creams etc.

We do ask if tarceva is a option but our oncologist feels that if things

are ok they should be left. We have been told by a senior oncologist at a lung cancer centre in London that they have had modest success on switching patients from iressa to tarceva on progression.

The main barrier to leading a normal life quite frankly is the worry.

Best wishes

Jennie

hello Chris

Pluerodesis is done when there is fluid between the pluera and lung. (This is not very technical). Luckily they found there was no cancer cells in the fluid. I believe they seal the cavity so no more fluid can accumulate. (They sometimes call this talc procedure). The only problem is that this area area always lights up on a pet scan due to this procedure so one never knows whether this is tumor or aftermath of procedure. [Hope this is understandable]. The rash was at first unsightly. Now it has cycles of severity although it is manageable. Barry does not like using creams etc.

We do ask if tarceva is a option but our oncologist feels that if things

are ok they should be left. We have been told by a senior oncologist at a lung cancer centre in London that they have had modest success on switching patients from iressa to tarceva on progression.

The main barrier to leading a normal life quite frankly is the worry.

Best wishes

Jennie

It sounds similar to my circumstances. I went through a year of back pAin, and finally fluid filled my right lung , they then drained fluid( no cancer cells) and performed a VAT to see what was going on. My doctor also feels like what we are seeing on the lower lobe of my lung may be due to the surgery. Regardless, all has been good for a while, no scans for the last year just chest x rays.

Doctor likes what he sees, he tells me he is not changing a winning horse and to carry on. So thats the plan.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I have been taking Tarceva since April of this year with great success. I have had a severe rash through most of that time, only now is it subsiding. I have had the rash all over my body.

The worst of it now is on my scalp and I am having trouble with wearing shoes because of a very sore toe. All related to Tarceva so my onc tells me. My skin is dry and my hair, well that's just something else!!! LOL!! I also have the rash on my tongue, it just means I stay away from vinegar and salad dressings etc.

Hope this helps and all the best to you,

Sharon

Hi Chris,

I have been taking Tarceva since April of this year with great success. I have had a severe rash through most of that time, only now is it subsiding. I have had the rash all over my body.

The worst of it now is on my scalp and I am having trouble with wearing shoes because of a very sore toe. All related to Tarceva so my onc tells me. My skin is dry and my hair, well that's just something else!!! LOL!! I also have the rash on my tongue, it just means I stay away from vinegar and salad dressings etc.

Hope this helps and all the best to you,

Sharon

Sharon,

Thanks for the note. The rash you have sounds a bit worse than what I am experiencing. The rash has subsided for the most part on everything except my face. I have this windburn/ acne looking thing going on. And my hair looks like a cross between Albert Einstein and Buckwheat ( the last person that cut my hair said it felt like somebody had taken a match to it) . Nothing on the tongue, however inside the nose it is a bit bothersome. If you run across any magic lotions that help let me know, and I will do the same. Glad you are doing so well, This stuff seems to be doing the same for me, so I guess we just grin and bear it.

Chris