Any Advice on Colds

jdjenkins

I have gotten a really bad cold. Started coming down with it last Wednesday and it has gotten worse every day since. I was in bed all day yesterday. The worse part is I can not spend time with Dad. I'm worried he will catch the cold. My parents depend on me so much for support it is killing me not to be able to help them.

With the recent events on this web site I know how fast the end can come, and it is so hard to lose this time with my Dad. Do you think those masks actually work to keep germs out? I was thinking of wearing one of those when I'm over visiting. I'm going to call doctor and try and get a Z pack incase it is a sinus infections. My mom said last night that they miss me so much. It breaks my heart not to be able to help both of them.

Denise

Denise,

There is an over-the-counter herbal remedy called "Airborne". I promise you that it will help and if you take at the first sign of a cold it usually knocks it out for me. It was developed by a kindergarten teacher because she kept getting sick from the little ones that she was teaching. A friend of mine saw it on Oprah and recommeded it to me. If you decide to use it let me know how it works for you. You can get it at just about any pharmacy.

Could you wear a mask to visit and make sure you wash your hands?

GOD BLESS!!

Jamie

If the doctor gives you the Z-Pack it should help to knock things out of your system really fast. I think Katie gave really great advice about the mask and gloves until you're really over the cold. I have used Airborne and found that it really only helps if you take it before you really come down with the cold. It is a really great idea and a great suggestion to keep in mind. Just remember that the more rest you get, the faster you'll be over this. Don't push yourself too hard, although I know you miss being around your dad right now.

Chances are that your cold is a virus and the Z-pak won't help prevent transmission of the virus or eradicate it faster from your body. However, if plugged nasal passages have set up a breeding ground for bacteria and you have a sinus infection (believe me, you KNOW the pain of a sinus infection if you have one!), then the Z-pak will help.

I'd hate for you to have a false sense of security for taking an antibiotic that you would be home-free from transmitting the little bug(gers)!

Vigorous handwashing for 30 seconds is a great way to insure you don't pass on any viruses or bacteria. Dispose of Kleenex after every wipe - don't carry around any used tissues. Wash your hands after touching your nose or mouth. Wipe off the phone with a cloth sprayed with something like Lysol (do NOT spray it directly onto the phone). Sneeze into your elbow or shoulder instead of your hand.

Wear a mask if you might be contagious. It must go over both your nose and mouth. Be forewarned, the thing gets hot and uncomfortable, but I'm sure you don't mind the inconvenience.

Go see him, just use due caution.

Hope you feel better soon - my last cold took 4 weeks to shake!

~Suz

I've found the Zicam nasal swabs really kill the cold virus quickly. Use them with the Cold Eeze lozenges and it will help kick it quick. We've a 7 year old cesspool living with us and we're always fighting something she brings home. You are right to protect him from your cold. Good luck.

Thanks for all the advice on colds. I did get a Z pack from the doctor today and started on it. I will give it another day and then I will mask up and visit Dad. Jeff and Danielle (my daughter) went to see them tonight. They both said Dad looks great. Danielle said "Grandpa even answered the door and stood there for a few minutes." That made me feel better right away! We started him on steriods last week and I think they are helping. He told me today that he will be here for Christmas. All four kids and 10 grandchildren will be home for Christmas. :D

Denise

I also caught many colds while being my Moms caretaker...I was very careful to wash my hands constantly and well and not to touch my face afterwards. I also used gloves when touching Mom just in case. If you dont sneeze or cough near her and are careful she should be ok. Is her WBC count low???This will make her catch cold more easily. Good luck...Janet