Weight loss

rinksgal

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep Darrell from losing anymore weight.. Hes lost 15lbs in the past 2 weeks.. (not to mention he'd lost 20lbs before this due to no apetite because of his fever and not feeling good) The radiation he's having on the tumors in the middle of his chest... Its making his esophagus so sore he can't eat..They gave him magic mouth wash, and it helps some. But he complains about drinking even water...The only way he can drink anything is room temperature.. He says it feels like he's swallowing a golf ball... He is drinking two cans of boost plus a day. I wish he'd drink more than that, but he says it cost too much... I don't care how much it cost I want him to drink more of it, especially since hes not eating. The radiation oncologist told him if he didn't eat they'd put a feeding tube in. That scared him so he ate some chicken noodle soup that day, but hasn't since. Does anyone know anything else he can try? They told him it would get worse before it gets better.. He still has 3 weeks of radiation left. The doctor wanted to see us the one day before radiation, we were afraid they were gonna stop treatment due to his pain, Darrell says he'll lie if he has to, because he doesn't want treatment stopped not even for one day!! He wants this cancer gone!!!

His hair and beard started falling out yesterday. We kept seeing it on his shirt, he pulled on his beard and kept getting bunches of it, so he shaved his beard and mustache off last night. Hes had it for 20 years.. He says he even looks whierd to hisself.. His son laughed, and his daughter cried.

I cut his hair down to an 1/8 of an inch. Today hes started losing all body hair.. except for his eyebrows so far... He wishes the eyebrows would stay, but he doesn't think they will either... He says he don't care about any of it if it kills the cancer!!! He said he'd go without hair the rest of his life!! He really wants to beat this thing!!

I'm just worried with him getting ready to start chemo again on Monday for 6 days straight that he will be sick this time and that might add to his weight loss. He did great the first time, he had no nausea at all, just got really tired and weak from levels dropping. Could he be sicker this time around? Or should he handle it like last time? The regular oncologist says that this chemo hes doing is the strongest chemo there is....

Open for "ANY" advice???

Ask the doctor about Marinol. They offered Megace to my mom, but she reacted bad to it. It was too "milky" for her...so someone recommended Marinol (marijuana in a pill form). She hasn't started taking it yet, but it is suppose to help with nausea and also increase appetite and give the patient an overall better feeling.

Try melted ice cream. Some people find the cold soothing, but if he doesn't, serve it at room temp. Add pureed fruit or whatever he desires to it - avoid citrus fruits because their acid content may be irritating. Ask the onc about something to soothe the whole esophagus - a "GI cocktail" type of thing. Megace and Marinol are worth trying if appetite is the problem. Good luck, Teresa

Blender shakes, where you pulverize everything may work. Gator Aid or the like is another idea. It is vitally important, especially if he had chemo and radiation together, to maintain a good liquid intake or he will become dehydrated, and off to the hospital you go. In fact, with the combination, you may want to ask the onc about having a weekly IV. Don

Guest Michael

Take a look at www.4nutrition.com. It's a book written by a nutritionist for cancer patients about what to eat and what not to eat. This and many other articles that I've read clearly mentions to AVOID any sweet foods. Sugar feeds cancer. This should also include fruits and fruit juices.

When we had the helpful hints section (are you listening Sponge Bob) there were some great suggestions. One was for a powder (I believe it was powder anyway, may have been a liquid). Anyway, I believe it was called Weight Gainer or something like that. It really helped put on weight as it has so many calories. It is available at Health Food Stores. Maybe somebody that's used it will put on the exact info.

When he can tolerate more, Carnation Instant Breakfast will help also.

And then there's my Grandma's favorite homemade eggnog.

I had the same problem during radiation except the hair loss. I did not loose any hair. The mouthwash seemed to help and I had to force it down. Man that taste!!! I got GI Coctail during hosp stay after surgery and that did wonders for me. At home I tried baby food since I had no blender to puree my own. Hope this helps.

Bruce

I had a real hard time getting ANYTHING down during treatment, everything seemed to burn, even the Boost shakes and yogurt! What DID go down was chicken noodle/chicken stars soup, warm penne pasta with some butter and parm cheese on it, cream of chicken soup on a plate over soft bread and lots of green tea. Everything had to be either room temperature or slightly warmed. No hot or cold extremes. I hope this helps, and have hope -- the burning DOES GO AWAY!!! :)

I too have thesame symptoms. He has got to get nutrtion to survive. Attitude to beat this monster helps! I eat cream soups. popsicles, fruit juice bars, carnation instant breakfeast, rice noodles, spinach. mushed vegetables, peaunut butter thinned down, Baby Food-Food process everything!

Cheryl

My dads nutritionist said to load him up with calories!!! When he has cereal he has it with cream instead of milk. What my mom has been doing as well is making milkshakes...with tonnes of calories..ice cream, cream, and then she adds the powder mix of those carnation instant breakfasts (they alone have I think 200calories). Lately it seems that this is all dad has. Best of luck

Tracy

try mixing Carnation instant breakfast with ice cream in the blender - we add strawberries or bananas and it gives the milkshake more calories - it's great for breakfast and we even eat/drink it with my mother-in-law. She likes them alot but says they really fill her up - but if we don't have time to cook a huge breakfast for her, these have lots of calories and we feel better knowing she's having something that is good for her.

GNC (if you have one in your area) has a powder that weight lifters use called Weight Gain 2200. It has 2200 calories in 3 scoops-lots of protein and vitamins-and Tim really likes the taste. You can mix it with milk or in a shake and it comes in a few flavors. If you mix all 3 scoops in one glass-use a blender-it's a bit thick, but you can water it down or just add more milk and make it 2 meals.

Annie

Rinksgal,

How has you sweetie's eating going? Any change? Remember food is medicine! 40% of cancer deaths are due to malnutrition! I absolutely have no appetitie and feel nauseated all of the time. I eat 1/2 cup of Chicken and Stars soup (THanks for the tip Hebbie) and see it as a victory. If I vomit....I will try again!

This Monday when we went for his chemo and radiation treatment, Darrell got on the scales and he'd lost 12 pounds since friday. We both were in shock!! I figured he'd probably lost another 5, but 12 took us both by surprised...We saw the radiation doctor that day and they told him his lips looked dry and that he was starting to dehydrate... and that he needed to drink drink drink!! If not they'd have to give it to him by iv.. He told them he would start trying to drink more...The chemo he got on monday which is cisplatin, they hydrate you before and after...The chemo nurse told him he would probably feel better after wards due to the hydration.. Let me tell you he felt so much better, he decided that they must have been right that he was getting so low on fluids that it made him feel bad.. So now hes at least drinking LOTS of liquids!! and he is eating some soups and boost...The doctor also told him if he doesn't eat he needs to drink 5 boost a day...He couldn't believe that either...So hes trying to do better... You know even though I urge him to eat and drink, I can't make him, and I guess with him seeing how much better he felt after getting him hydrated, hes decided its more important than he thought...

I want to thank everyone for their post and responses!! They help alot!!

I, too, just wanted to check in and see how the weight gain is coming?!?! Right before my dads last round of chemo they said he had lost so much weight that he had to lay off the water and only consume liquids with calories. Seems kinda odd to say no more water but its ok to drink Coke!

Another thing my mom has started doing with dad is when he is feeling up to eating normally again she loads up the calories. For instance, when making a "sunday night dinner" of roast beef she will add extra flour to her gravy and when mashing the potatoes she adds creamo instead of milk and adds butter. Also instead of eating regular vegetables she will buy those frozen Green Giant ones that are soaking in butter sauce! It seems to be doing the trick...even my sister and I have gained a few pounds!!!

Hoping you have success in whatever method you use, and if whatever you are doing is working please share for the rest of us!

Tracy

Tracey, Hes holding his own at the moment... I too have tried like everything to add extra calories... I've used half and half, whipping cream and boost in his shakes, sometimes I've used vanilla flavored soy milk, because it has protein and other things in it, not to mention anything to add more calories....I hear so much about sugar, I kind of hate using whipping cream and anything like that..Its so whierd how sometimes things you think theres no way he could eat that, he can, and things you think he shouldn't have no problem eating, he can't swallow without lots of pain or choking ... Its hard to understand sometimes....But I know all of you thats been through this, do understand very well!! I really appreciate everyones concern and the private emails!! It means so very much!!

I just started back to work this week, which I hate, but glad I had the whole summer to spend with Darrell..I work for the school system, so I was out for the summer..The school kids are a big distraction!!!! I think its the first time I've thought of anything but Darrell having Lung cancer in months!! (Of course he's never really far from my mind!!)I just thought I was busy before!! HA!! Now my day starts at 4am!! I worry more about him, not being able to be with him 24 7 but he still sleeps alot, and usually does so while I'm gone... At least with my job I won't have any problem taking off when I need to, and if needed we have a couple of friends that have offered to drive him or go with him.. Anyways I just wanted to update everyone... Plus he gets a new ct scan wednesday, and then next wednesday we go to the oncologist to find out the results and what they are doing next. He said last time we saw him that Darrell would be receiving a couple more series of chemo possibly being done 4 days at time, compared to his other 2 series being 6 days in a row, but with a different drug... Last time it was cisplatin and vp-16.. I hope there is some change in his tumors!! Say a prayer!! I haven't had much time on here to post lately, but I have made the time to read all the new post... Thanks everyone, sorry this is so long!

hi- would asking for a pain medication be an option? percocet, etc.. that may help avoid pain and then he can eat more..you may alos see about sucralfate to help with esophagitis..

• 1 month later...

my Mom really liked the pedolyte (sp?) children's popcycles (found in the baby food section of grocery store) these tasted good to her and also gave her the electrolytes she needed to stay hydrated. here is another thing that she seemed able to tolerat more than others. Cream cheese mixed with pear juice on top of canned pears. She was never hungry, everything tasted terrible to her but these two things she seemed to like. The megalce also helped her until she just couldnt stand it anymore. dont take it too long cuz it can cause blood clots.

my Mom really liked the pedolyte (sp?) children's popcycles (found in the baby food section of grocery store) these tasted good to her and also gave her the electrolytes she needed to stay hydrated. here is another thing that she seemed able to tolerat more than others. Cream cheese mixed with pear juice on top of canned pears. She was never hungry, everything tasted terrible to her but these two things she seemed to like. The megalce also helped her until she just couldnt stand it anymore. dont take it too long cuz it can cause blood clots. Also make sure dr gives him the meds to coat his esphogas., they waited too long on my mom and she is having big problems now