New here & I have a question

LTich

My Mom was just diagnosed with SCLC & started Chemo & Rad last week. She said nothing tastes right & refuses to eat. Is there anything she can do to get that horrid metal taste out of her mouth?

Mint was suggested but is there anything else that helps?

TIA.

Rich-

Thanks you so much for the information. I will pass it along to my Mother.

And to let you know, TIA is an abbreviation that means 'thanks in advance'. Sorry, I should have been more clear about that & properly introduced myself. I have been walking around in a fog ever since her diagnosis.

I guess better late than never :lol:

I am Lisa, 37, married with 5 kids. Mom's diagnosis of SCLC, a few weeks ago, has devastated my entire family. We have a family history of Cancer on my Mom's side & her father (my grandfather) died of from SCLC in 1974, 6 months after DX. We are just praying hard that God blesses us & gives us much more time with Mom.

Thanks again!

Lisa

Hi Lisa. Welcome to our group. Sorry you had to be here but this is definitely a great place for lots of information and support.

I see you're a Tennessee girl. I live in Florida now but spent 30 years of my life just outside of Knoxville. Tina, a great board member, also lives in Tennessee.

I hope you can find a solution for your mom's taste problems.

Lisa,welcome to our support family.Sorry to hear about your mom.You will find many knowing and caring people here.

There will be others to give you ideas on that metallic taste,in my scenario nothing helped me at all with it.I was lucky tho as I'm one of those that can eat almost anything at any time.

Hi Lisa,

Welcome and sorry you had to find us. But we are the best support group and extremely knowledgable.

I do not have an answer to your question, but I know many people here will help you. Rich sent you that link, that should help.

I know you said you grandfather died of LC, but know that now there is so many more drugs and treatments available. LC is no longer a death sentence. If you read some of the profiles here, there are many many people here who have beaten the odds. You just have to have faith and believe in the power of positive thinking.

Always keep a positive attitude, especially around your mom. If you can go with your mom to some of her appointments that would help you understand her treatments. If may help to bring a notebook to write things down or if you have question write it down so you won't forget.

Your family will feel better once she starts treatment. I know right now you are so scared. We have all been in your shoes. Hang in there it will get better.

We are always here to help and support you through this.

Maryanne

Hi,

I am glad you found us (but i'm sorry you had too). I know just how you feel about being in a fog. My Mom was diagnosed with SCLC in September. Trust me, eventually you'll start to get used to the "C" word. My Mom had the same problem with the yucky taste after chemo. We tried lots of things to see if they would taste better. You just have to experiement. Somethings that worked for her were ginger (gingersnaps or ginger gum), french toast, fruity flavored boost, and surprisingly orange juice.

Wow, thank you! You guys are incredible. I will be sure to pass this along to my Mom. Hopefully she will find something that works, as it's so important for her to eat.

She works at hospital in Alton, Illinois & has a whole staff of wonderful medical professionals pulling for her. My Dad is there with her, he is retired now (Pharmacist) & even though he has health problems, is able to care for her every need. My Aunt Anne, Mom's sister, makes trips to stay with Mom during her 'Chemo weeks' to help with her care too. I will also make trips up there anytime I am needed & even when I am not. I need her to know how much I love her & pulling for her.

My father & Aunt have already started a journal & I'm also writing things down. Dad's vast medical knowledge is really helping out. Still, it's GREAT to have support here. I have been lurking for a few weeks & you guys give wonderful advice on things not covered in any article.

The most important part is nurturing the heart & soul. I see that is in abundant supply here. It's much needed & appreciated. Thank You!

Lisa

Ps. I have a website that also includes a tribute to my Mother....If anyone is interested in seeing it.

http://www.katrinatribute.info

Lisa,

I enjoyed your website. Thank you for sharing. When I was younger, I too lived in Alton/Wood River, Il area...

I have included your mom in my prayers. I hope our suggestions for the taste in her mouth works for her. Please keep us posted. We are here for you...

God Bless, prayers and hugs,

Karen

It is a small world. I grew up in Godfrey just outside of Alton & of course, my parents still live there. My Dad was Chief Pharmacist at St. Lukes in St. Louis (before it went to Charter)for many years. I know many people from the Bethalto, Wood River, Alton area & I wouldn't be surprised if we knew some of the same people.

I'm just glad she is so close to great medical care.

Lisa