New to This Board As Member

Bob-ellen

Hello to Everyone Here,

I have been reading for some many weeks, and have been so impressed with the love and caring given here at this board. You are all very giving people.

My husband was diagnosed last December with adenocarcinoma, Stage IIIB. He had experienced a dry cough and had received an X-ray from a pulmonologist, but it was interpreted as nothing.

Our GP, through a CTscan, months later found the mass in his lung. Through a biopsy done with a bronchoscopy by a newly chosen pulmonologist, he was diagnosed with the cancer, the stage, and that it was inoperable due to location.

In January, he received concurrent chemo carboplatin/taxol and radiation in an aggressive treatment regimen. Treatment ended in March.

This September, he was found to have mets to lung, small met in shoulder blade, and had a biopsy for a positive lymph node in neck.

He has been on a new regimen of Carboplatin/Gemzsr on a schedule of (2-1-0). That is the two for the first week, then Gemzar alone, and then nothing for the third week.

Our hope is to keep fighting this with our every effort. Unfortunately, due to lower platelets, Bill had to forego this week's treatment. Hopefully, next week will have us back in the game.

Barbara

Welcome here, I know you said you have been reading the posts so you know that we are a group of very supporive and knowledge.

I pray this works for you husband. Keep a positive attitude as that is half the battle. Can't win without that.

Please keep us updated on the progress.

Maryanne

Welcome Barbara and Bill! This is the place to be for hope, support, knowledge, and friendship. Too bad we can't dispense meds too!!!

Please keep reading here and posting so we can offer what you need. If you have been reading, you know we all pray for and love one another. That for me was just an overwhelming feeling.

Kasey

I join the others in welcoming you to our family. Hope we can help. This is bothe a physical and emotional disease. It is tough but with help we can fight it. Please keep us posted on how Bill is doing. Donna G

Thank you all for your very warm welcome. I am happy to be here, to post as well as read and reply.

This has been a journey this year, and one that surprised us on many fronts. Bill and I were introduced to facing things we never knew we would or could, and got through them.

I know that we will be needing help as we go along, and appreciate being able to ask for it.

Jamie, thank you for the vote of confidence re my loving to find research subjects. I only wish that some of those would be actualized soon for all of us.

Again, thank you all very much. I'll keep reading and posting.

Barbara

Hi -

I am sure Bill will bounce back and be able to continue on with the gem/carbo -- it is the same protocol my mom is one -- and we too have had problems with low counts (in case low red counts) -- we just started cycle 4 and she needed procrit for the second time. She will have a new scan after the New Year to see if it is helping. I will certainly keep you posted!

I am glad you found us. The members on this board will be an immense source of strength, support and information.

Holly

Welcome Barbara!

I was dx'd just after Bill, in January so I know what you mean about what kind of year it's been. So much easier to go through it with as much support as possible. Glad you found it.

I put a congratulations to Bill on our LC Survivor Forum because he is one year from diagnosis and we celebrate that kind of achievement here. Go take a look! :D

Leslie

Thank you all (this time, I wrote down all the names - to help short term memory)for the support and welcome, Frank, Sue, and Holly. Midge, yes, I finally joined this other wonderful board. : )

Glad to be here, as well.

Leslie, thank you for the one-year congrats for Bill. I'll be looking it up at the place you mentioned, and show it to him.

He's not a PC person, only gets on line to check out old NY Fire Department news, and to see if he's won the lottery. :mrgreen:

Barbara

Welcome to our family, Barbara and Bill. You're going to just love all of the great folks you meet from this board. Some of us have lots of great information and others of us just give great big hugs! So, just yell if you need either!

Dear All, Cindi, Ann, Don M., bunny, and Don, thank you for the welcome and the supportive words. Your input is very much appreciated - actually treasured.

After having read so many postings about lung cancer for some time now, it has been obvious to me that this experience, with the treatments especially, can be unsettling.

I'm hoping that Bill has good results, as well from his treatments. Our oncologist told us from the beginning that he would be treating this as a "chronic" illness.

One doctor, last year, rolled his eyes skyward at that prospect (it didn't dash our hopes). We've learned to plug along with tenacity - nonetheless.

You have all given us a family welcome. It's wonderful.

Barbara

Holly,

Thank you for telling me about your Mom. Yes, the blood counts are a problem with this protocal, but if it's affecting them, am I presuming too much to think that it just may be doing damage to the bag guys, as well? Hope so.

Bill couldn't receive this week's regimen, but we're hoping that next week we'll be back on schedule.

As with your Mom, Holly, Bill will be receiving a scan in a few weeks, to determine how this chemo is doing. His last scan was a mixed review of shrinkage and stable. Hopefully, we will see more of the same, or even better.

Barbara