worried about weakness after chemo/rad. treatment

Ellen B.

I'm very worried about Henk. He was so weak this morning that he couldn't leave his bed. Didn't sleep much (didn't have his new sleeping meds yet).

The GP couldn't find anything wrong, she thinks the weakness is coming from the chemo/rad. treatment. Had last chemo and radiatons teatments on 2/12.

The extreme weakness didn't last long, he is doing much better now. But he still has an appointment for another chemo (4th chemo) next week. I'm worried about this. I'm afraid that this 4th chemo will be too much for him. Of course, we will ask the onc about it but I wonder if there is anybody here who has had the same problems?

Ellen.

Ellen,

Perhaps a good night sleep will help him

as soon as he gets his medication for it.

Keep him hydrated, that is a must during

chemo treatments.

Loads of drinks will perk him up.

Good luck for the last treatment, keep us

posted, please.

Hugs

Jackie

Ellen,

I had similar problems when I was going through chemo and radiation. I would be really weak for about two to three days a week. I had chemo once a week and radiation Monday through Friday. With each chemo I would get a little weaker each time. I always rebounded, but seemed to rebound as much each time.

Everyone reacts differently. I had a different chemo with my radiation, also I am a bit younger than your husband. Just these two things can make a big difference.

I am probably not much help here. Fatigue does become the new normal.

Good luck John.

Ellen,

Those of us who've been really healthy and active for most of our lives aren't used to needing rest when we normally wouldn't and it feels like a scary and troubling things. From what I've read on the board, fatigue is pretty common and comes and goes.

I'm starting to feel more "extremely relaxed" 8) (than weak or fatigued) now that I've started radiation and I'm sure it will only increase. I'm starting to remind myself to pace myself, plan my energy for what I want to do most, and just cuddle up and read or watch TV when I need to. It may be annoying and feel like a time-waster, but it's all about healing and treating your body the best you can.

Hang in there.

Leslie

Hi Ellen,

My Mom is on a three week rotation for her chemo.

About the 2nd to 3rd day after treatment she get SO weak for up to a week.

After her last treatment she was using her oxygen when just laying on the couch. She didn't have any energy at all and I was very concerned too. I'm glad you posted about this...I'm curious to see if others have suggestions that may help them both.

Warm Hugs,

Melinda

Thank you so much for your answers!

Leslie, you're right! Henk has always been very active. He is not used to this kind of inactivity.

Fortunately, he's doing better right now. But I still am worried about his next chemo! What will happen, will he become still more weak than he is right now?

Ellen.

Hi Ellen,

Even though they say that chemo is cumulative, my last treatment was by far my easiest! I was so worked up and scared and then nothing happened. You really never know. There were also times that I started to feel a little sick before the chemo which almost sounds like what Hank is going through right now.

Best to you both.

Joan

Ellen,

Mike has been on 7 different chemo regimens and each affected him differently , but fatigue was a side effect of all. There are so many factors such as age and his overall health otherwise. What we found helpful was to keep a journal of symptoms each day so we could tell the doctor when and what happened, what medications Mike was on etc etc. Sometimes the fatigue can just be too much to bear, but most of the time the worst of it only lasts a few days. It's hard on patient and caregivers. It is during those times that I would lose it emotionally . It's so hard to see our loved ones in such a weakened condition. Know that we are here for you. Sending prayers for you and Henk.

Love,

Sue