Hi - I'm Also New

Hi All,

My name is Janis and I was diagnosed with small cell anaplastic carcinoma in early March. I have had 4 chemo sessions of 3 days each and 15 radiation sessions. Right now I'm waiting to have a brain scan, and depending on the results may have additional preventative radiation to the brain.

I'm finding the waiting unbearable and my biggest problem is depression. Although my family is very supportive, they cannot know how I feel, so it's very difficult.

I would like to communicate with people who have been there and know what I'm talking about.

Hi Janis,

I guess I know what you're talking about. I was also diagnosed in early March with SCLC. I had 6 chemo sessions of 3 days each and 31 radiation treatments. I just had a PET scan that confirmed that my cancer is gone in my body and am now waiting for an MRI which will be done next Tues. to check the status of my brain. Then I will begin PCI. I understand the depression, but have been feeling better lately to get this encouraging news and to have the chemo behind me. You know they wouldn't be considering PCI if you weren't in remission, so you can feel good about that. I just now have a full head of fuzz and dread the radiation causing me to lose it again. I'm so tired of not having any hair and hiding my head all the time. It is so easy to get depressed, I often wonder why everyone isn't and how they do it. Anti-depressants have helped me. I'm getting pretty good at taking it a day at a time. The people on this board are amazing and seem to find just the right things to say. I'm not so good at that, but want you to know that you're not alone and I do understand. We can go through the PCI together. I've been reading up on the mental side effects and based on the latest thinking, I'm not worried about that anymore. I am just starting to feel back to normal and dread the fatigue more than anything. Come back often and let us know how you're doing. I should have my MRI results on Wed. Let me know how yours come out.

Jenny

Hi Janis, Welcome to our website. So Sorry you have the need to be here, but glad you found us on the web. There is a great group of people here, survivors and caregivers, folks who have been through a lot of the same things you and I have went through and conquered to tell about it and share their stories with others.

I know for myself the waiting is horrible, I wanted to be treated and get this cancer out of my system and to go on with my life as normal(whatever that is) as possible.

I take anti-depressents for depression and anxiety and I have heard a lot of other survivors say they use them too. Someone here uses the phrase better living through chemistry , that works for me.

Again Janis I want welcome you here.

Thanks Jenny and David. I really appreciate your welcome and supportiveness. I've just recently, 4 days ago started taking amitriptyline 10 mg. I tried Celexa and Effexor but had really bad reactions so my gp is trying me on a child's dose of this one.

Anyhow my brain scan is on Tuesday but won't know the results until my dr appointment on the 20th. Thanks again. Jenny, let me know how your MRI comes out.