Dos & Don'ts during treatment

Irisheyes

Just wondering what your experiences have been during treatment as far as visitors. My dad is set to start tomorrow and after some discussions with other folks on the Oncology floor my step mom was thinking about canceling Christmas afraid of germs. I told her I thought that would not be good for dads spirits and to just make sure everone is healthy. Do you limit visitors, not have any?

I can't imagine not having Christmas with your dad being good for anyone in your family.

The only threat of spending Christmas with the family is if someone is already sick, and your father's white blood cell counts are low so he's more vulnerable to disease and infection. If his counts are not low, then he should be fine to enjoy the day with as many visitors as he can comfortably tolerate. (if your family is like mine, that might not be that many :lol: ) If his counts are low another option that we've used is a surgical mask. When my husband's counts were really low, he didn't want to be stuck in the house, so his doctor gave him a face mask to wear. It's easier for him to wear one than for everyone else to wear them.

Good luck, and I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas!

My white counts have tanked so low that I have no immunity from anything right now. So I wear a face mask when I have to go out, or when others come in to my home. It would actually be better if everyone else wore the face masks (would keep them from sneezing or coughing their germs all over things in the house with which I come in contact, but good old fashioned frequent hand washing helps with that situation). You can obtain the masks from pharmacies. I also have to use my supplemental oxygen when I wear one because I no longer have the respiratory capacity to breathe through the mask.

I'm decorating my mask with teeny tiny jingle bells. :wink:

I would definitely continue on with Christmas. It is so important to keep your dad's spirit high right now. I'm sure that time with family will do just that. It's always good to take precautions, like masks. The germs that cause colds and flu are everywhere and it's almost impossible to avoid them completely. Just have the family do lots of hand washing. I found that sometimes I would go crazy trying to keep Dennis away from germs and he would get sick anyhow. So, have a wonderful Christmas with your dad. That's my advice!

I love the idea of decorating the masks...I feel a Christmas craft coming on! :) They did pick up some soap and anti bacterial gel, just have to create the habit now. I'll pick up some masks for them before I return next week.

Another questions, sorry so many, but someone mentioned awhile back a powder supplement that if I remember correctly had more calories than Boost/Ensure...sound familiar? He has already lost 40+ lbs and from what I understand will probably lose more during treatment.

One more...during chemotherapy, how do you pass the time. I didn't know if he would feel up(or if it's ok) to watching a movie on a small DVD player or listen to talk radio. Picked him up some fishing dvds just in case.

I flew to Austin TX 2 weeks after my first chemo, Christmas was not something I was going to miss. My counts were a little low I so took antibiotics in case.

As far as entertainment during chemo, we had TVs at each chair and I took a book and also a cassette player. Audio books were good to listen to - much easier for me at the time than reading the book - also some inspirational tapes (you know the sort, imagine the chemo going to the tumor type)

Good luck

Geri

Here is what we did regarding my mom and my wedding and my shower and germs.

1. My father in law gave her a little air purifier to wear around her neck that was supposed to kill germs. She wore that to the shower, wedding, etc.

2. We also made my mom wear gloves.

3. We spread the word that if anyone is sick to PLEASE stay away.

4. I handed out flyers with a nice note explaning that my mom could not hug or shake hands. And if someone tried to touch her, she stepped back and explained

My hubby's onco told us that as long as his "counts"were good we shouldn't worry about all the germs floating around!!

He told us that it was more likely for him to get sick by his own bacteria attacking him,rather then germs passed between persons!!

Of course common sense tells us not to be around a roomfull of sick people!!

Go ahead with Christmas,make lots of memories and take lots of pictures,enjoy the holidays

Karen44

I agree go ahead with Christmas. Last year at Christmas my Dad was on chemo. My niece was getting married in Texas and we were worried about Dad flying with all the germs. The doctor actually gave him a shot to increase his resistance. We all went and he didn't get sick. Just use common sense.

I went with my Dad to chemo treatments and we passed time playing board games, watching tv, and reading. Also have him bring some favorite snacks if it will be a long day. They have snacks there but it was nice to have some favorites. Sometimes we even had visitors come by for a little while. Dad had some 6-7 hour days in the chemo room. Tell him to ask for a warm blanket they are so nice and relaxing. The nurses were just great to him. Treated him like a king!

Best of luck to you and your Dad.

Denise

Last year I had the same question with my Mom so I spoke to an infectous disease doctor and we went ahead with visitors etc. We kept antibacterial soap around..washed hands frequently, taught my kids how to hug Grandma safely(not breathing on her face, not touching or kissing hands or faces)My Mom never did catch anything but I was sick on and off all year.....Hope you all enjoy the holiday..Janet

I spent about 7-8 hours total a day, every 3 weeks having my chemo. Sometimes I was lucky enough to fall asleep. Other times I had lots of company. The first few times, I met 3 other gals, all just starting out. We'd look forward to meeting every 3 weeks. But, all in all, I found the best was to sleep through as much as I could (and I never nap!!) and go from there, doing whatever you would normally do sitting or laying down. tv, dvd, etc.

Hi Irish,

Definetely have Christimas. It will do much to boost his morale. Company always has a way of doing that. It is also good for the guests to see that he is okay.

The purell is a good idea, and to give them out with little bows is a nice gesture.

Last year Christimas Joel got out of the hopspital, (after having a lobe removed}, on the 21st so I did not go to my nieces. But some good friends came over with goodies. His resistance was low and of course he could not come in contact with anyone coughing, sneezing etc as we certainly would not want him to be coughing and sneezing :shock:

He actually started to entertain everyone and I had to put a stop to that.

So have Christmas, it is good for the soul.

As far as passing the time in chemo. They had a little tv there. But he developed a frienship with a man there who he saw everytime he went. His chemo was 5 hours, every 3 weeks, but he felt it went fast. He would sleep alot. I would bring him lunch. Also her nurses were wonderful.

You dad will be fine. Have a great holiday!!

Maryanne :wink:

I have no experience with chemo, but I can tell you that last week, after my mom's stroke, the doc wanted me to stay with her but I balked because I had a terrible cold. the onc nurse told us that no touching, no sharing utensils or glasses and using anti-bact. soap and gel would cover us.

I think Christmas is too wonderful to pass up altogether, maybe just some modifications.

xoxo

amie

Dad had his 1st chemo treatment Tuesday and Radiation Wednesday. I think he feels much more at ease now that he knows what to expect. He didn't sleep the nights before.

I suggested he take his little radio in and he did and listened to talk radio.

I actually feel like we are starting to do something about this and he is fighting back. I look forward to seeing him next week and hopefully will help him pass the time during his next appointment by beating the pants off of him at Gin Rummy.

:D

Thanks everyone for the wonderful advice.

I actually feel like we are starting to do something about this and he is fighting back.

I smiled when I read that because you've turned a major corner in this experience. Things will feel more natural now. So glad your dad is past the "what are they going to do to me" jitters and can now start to build a new routine he can adjust to.

Enjoy your time together! I love to play Gin Rummy! My husband doesn't, so I never get to. I'm envious. :lol:

Leslie