A really long request for some short prayers

Carleen

Keith had his CT scan last Wed. and we will get the results tomorrow Tues. the 20th.

I am trying so hard to stay positive and keep my hopes up. This has been a hard week for us.

Keith was in the ER on Friday because he was having terrible head pain behind his eyes. They've determined he scratched his corneas some how. This is the second time he's scratched his eyes because they are just so dry all the time. He's in a lot of pain from that, not to mention a lot of pain in his neck where his original biopsy was done.

I guess that spot is what worries me the most right now. It is causing him so much pain, but I've always just dismissed it because we were told it was just probably nerve damage from the biopsy. He had radiation done to the tumor there July of 2003, and at that time the doctor said it looked like the spot completely disappeared. But, Keith still had the pain, so hence the nerve damage diagnosis. Then with medication the pain went away. For the past 6-7 months its been back, and worse then ever. His onc just ignored it saying he should take higher doses of his Neurotin and Methadone for the nerve pain. Plus, we've had CT scans that said things with him were overall stable so I didn't worry.

Keith went into the ER with unbearable pain last week Monday, which made him see spots and get nauseous from the pain and he couldn't move. He was told that when they scanned him on Wed. they would make sure to scan that spot to look at it again. I was shocked, I thought they were scanning all of his known cancer locations all along. Come to find out that for the past year two year they were not, they were only thoracic cavity scans, not all the way up to the neck collarbone area. In fact the last CT scan to show that area was back in August 2003 Why wouldn't they scan an area they knew had cancer activity? I don't get it? I feel like I've been living in a false sense of security. Keith showed me the spot yesterday and there is now a visible lump under the area that looks like he has a golf ball under his skin. Am I wrong, I mean OH MY GOD!!!! I didn't go to medical school but I think I would even know better than that.

Anyway, I am praying that it is only swelling or inflamation. please please God! That could happen right? I am praying that he is at least still stable. I am praying that he can have his break from chemo until the end of the year without any worries or progression. I really am praying for a cure. I ask you to join me in those prayers please. I could use all the help you can offer. I'm just really scared. I'm tired of being so scared all the time. But I'm really so tired of seeing him so scared.

I hate test time... I HATE CANCER

Carleen, I will definitely be saying prayers for you and Keith. You guys have both been through so much and exhibited such great strength, faith and determination. I have to believe that God will safely guide you through this storm as He has done in the past. I do agree with your thinking that additional areas would have been scanned. I just don't understand how doctors think. Please let us know as soon as you hear something. We will be anticipating lots of good news and positive results!

Praying for you both, Carleen.

Re: Dry Eyes

Mine are very dry. I have found that it is in my best interest to wear goggles any time I am in a very dusty or windy environment. Even in my own home I have to wear the goggles any time I use a spray cleaning agent, or I'm dusting or sweeping. I know what I look like with the Goggles, the face mask, the Nasal Canula, but my looking funny is a lot more comfortable than the pain from scratched corneas or a chest infection.

We should all be asking for specifics on the scans that are ordered. We cannot assume anything.

Dear Carleen,

I am always so pleased to see a post from you and to see how you and Keith are doing. I am sorry this post has so much fear in it. I do understand though. You bet he will be in my prayers as well as you will be. Please let us know as soon as you can.

God Bless you both,

Jane

Carleen,

Glad to see you posting again. Sorry about the news of Keith. Keeping you in my prayers each day! Special prayers for him, please keep us posted on how he is doing. Can he get a prescription for the dry eyes?

Thinking of you, God Bless

Prayers and hugs,

Karen

PS Carleen is the person who introduced me to this Community March 2003... :D

...not to mention a lot of pain in his neck where his original biopsy was done.

... But, Keith still had the pain, so hence the nerve damage diagnosis. Then with medication the pain went away. For the past 6-7 months its been back, and worse then ever. His onc just ignored it saying he should take higher doses of his Neurotin and Methadone for the nerve pain.

When I was 19 in Vietnam I was shot in the neck. I have been plagued by neck pain since. This was 1969 so there was aspirin or narcs as a choice back then.

Narcotics didn't work. A lot of Aspirin helped a little, however. Guess whose stomach bothered him.

One day there was no aspirin in the house so I borrowed some Midol from my wife. It really helped. I think the ingredients in it for swelling may help the nerve problem as well as the analgesic effect.

I suggest this only on the basis it may help and probably won't hurt anything.

BTW I'm a former Marine. All I know is how to make war, how to fight. I saw your response to Brit in the Newcomer Forum. It was touching. You are a true Helpmate, a true blessing to your husband. You exemplified what I tried to tell her...fight this thing with your partner. Get mad at the cancer. I have seldom seen the degree bravery you two demonstrate, as do many on this board, except on a battlefield. I'm proud of you.

((((Carleen and Keith)))

Feeling "betrayed" by the reality you have trusted for so long can just shake your knees out from under you. At least, that's what happens to me. I start second-guessing EVERYTHING. I'm sorry you have to add the horrible feeling to the mix right now.

Hope all goes better than expcted today, a solution for pain is found, and you and the doctors can build back a relationship that permits you to have your confidence back in them.

Sending all caring thoughts and strength to both of you,

Leslie

Oh Carleen I am so sorry for all of this. This is a mess!

You put your trust in the doctors so you would think they know what they are doing, and you hear something like that. I don't understand why they did not scan all his parts that were affected, I mean he is getting scan anyway so why not do it all. Insurance pays for a partial or a whole scan.

Right now the only thing to concertrate is getting good results and getting Keith out of all this miserable pain.

I am lighting a special healing candle just for Brian. I am sending mega prayers for healing. Also strength for you sweetie, as you are carrying around such a heavy, heavy burden. I wish I could do something to take your pain away.

Stay positive...please know we love you and there are so many prayers sent Keith's way.

Maryanne

(((Carleen and Keith))),

So often you come to mind. We have never gotten to 'know' one another, yet we are sharing this same jounrney which somehow ties us together. Hopefully being together through this is a good thing.

I am SO sorry about all that has and is happening to you guys. This latest 'SURPRISE' does not surprise me though. It is very disconcerting to think you must second guess EVERYTHING, and even then not be sure of what is what. It has happened to me more than once.

Please know that many of us are keeping the faith with you, hoping and praying that such a special young couple may catch just one MAJOR break to turn this around. That will reamin my hope, anyway.

Peace and love to you and Keith this very special season.

Kasey