Getting to Know You - December 20

Ann

I have an assortment of things from my childhood, from my grandma, some memories of Chad my hubby, picture ornaments for each year of my kid's lives so far. I just love it.

I put up my mom's tree this past weekend and it is funny how different we are-her tree is white with blue ornaments and ribbon bc they are the biggest UK fans in the world! It is so coordinated.

No theme...

Our tree is decorated with ornaments that all have meaning. Every Christmas each child picks an ornament--so we have soccer balls, hockey skates, Barbie etc depending on what they're into that year. We have lots of antique ornaments and hand-made ones. We have the old fashioned bubble lights and I have some lights that are replicas of old fishing lures (I collect old lures) and some that are fishing bobbers. It's just very different.

Alan and I buy ornaments from every place we travel to. so most of our tree is our history together, in addition, ornaments that fit our personal likes. I have a hockey playing santa, lots of Irish ornaments and Alan has lots of lighthouses and sailboats.

I have some ornaments from my childhood and a few store bought just to fill in the tree.

Santa clauses, santa clauses and more santa clauses. Many of them that I cross stitiched myself.

Also, any ornament that was made by a child or grandchild or given to me.

Used to have bubble ligths Rochelle, but couldn't find the replacement bulbs.

This year I bought two fakes trees. A big one for the living room and a small one for the small family room. Have to have a tree I can see all the time.

Earl hated fakes, so last year I had a real one in memory of him. But this year I took the easy route, so I thought. That big tree looked much smaller in the store. Almost killed myself getting it into the house.

I love Christmas and all the work that goes with it.

Last year, I decided to sway from the traditional Christmas tree, filled with ornaments that had been collected through the years and have a themed tree. I think last year was about changes from the past and starting anew. I started buying every single gingerbread ornament or decoration I could find in 2003. By the time Christmas rolled around, I had enough ornaments (lots were given as gifts through the year) to fill my 8 foot tree. Now, my entire house seems to be filled with gingerbread things. I have a gingerbread village, singing and dancing gingerbread men, gingerbread trains and even a gingerbread nativity scene that is precious. I was exhausted after unpacking everything. I'm now thinking of starting a collection of penguins and polar bears and using that theme next Christmas.

If I had a tree up this year, it would be filled with the Chistopher Radko ornaments that I have been collecting over the years. Many are gifts, but not all. Most of them are whimsical, but not all. Everyone of them is stunning. They are all packed away in a box in another room.

I started to give my ornaments away to special kids as keepsakes. This year, I will have to find the box as I want to give a couple more away to the children of some special friends.

our tree is at mom's apartment (mine is too small)

we buy a new ornament every year, so those are all on there. plus alot of santas, and a few special ornaments from my Aunt Pam, who died in 1993, and my 'Gammy' (great aunt that raised Suki after her parents died). there's a little gold-lated angel with a bell that says "Amie" on it that Gammy got me that is my favorite.

we are also huge fans of the ball ornaments, they're just so pretty, the way the light plays off them. we decorate on Christmas Eve. usually, we alternate years for the lights: one year all white, one year multi-colored. this year is a white year. we also used to do tinsel (as opposed to garland) but now we worry about mom's cat phoebe so we have these cool teeny silver balls strung together.

This is going to be a very odd Christmas for us. So pretty much everything is different including the tree. I did not want to use the decorations and all that I had been using these last few years as they all reminded me of my SO that left this past summer. So Lindsey (my 14 yr old) and I decide we would get a new fake tree rather than a real one and we decided together to decorate in blue and silver/white. It is the most beautiful tree I think i have ever had, and there was more love and fun put into this tree than ever before. Its very elegant compared to the cute/bright trees I have always had in the past. Even went a step further and made sure all the wrapping paper/bows were blue/silver, didnt want any clashing going on!!

Kim

Oh my gosh, Kim!!!! Can you come to MY house and HELP??!!! Coordinated wrapping paper and bows to go with the tree sent me right over the edge. I am lucky there is ANY wrapping paper at all!!!! :D

Sounds very beautiful, really. Hope it is a good holiday for you.

Kasey

Kasey... I'm with you! Never have wrapping paper and even if I have some I always run out. they really need to put more on a roll!! Tape that's another story. I can never find the tape. Then it runs out. I've used masking tape, duct tape, and even a couple times hot glue when I was really desperate. Why do I always wait till eveyone goes to bed on Christmas eve to wrap the stuff?? I want to be like Kim when I grow up!

I LOVE my tree! I collect Christmas ornaments. A couple are fancy but most are things my kids picked, 2 are from a craft show where a woman painted my kids likeness on christmas balls, some are from vacations but the absolute best are the Santa Balls. I have 4 of them; blue, red, yellow and green. Just little balls with pipe cleaner beards and faces on them. But my father gave them to my mother on their first christmas as a married couple so they are almost 60 yrs old!! My mom died years ago and my dad always put them on his tree. He gave them to me a few years ago and I treasure them. My father just passed away a couple of weeks ago and I miss him very much but I'll have those santa balls on my tree! My kids think I'm crazy to be so attached to my ornaments but they all hold so many memories. But what really gets them is "the order" Almost all of the balls have an order on the tree. The blue santa ball on the top, then my Rudolf Ball (my mom gave me) then the red santa ball etc. Everything in order of importance the whole way down the tree. It drives my kids crazy and when I'm not home they will mix them up to see if I notice. I always do!! Some of them have to be even (no one is more important than the others)all the way around the tree. You should see me trying to pick out the Christmas tree because the top has to be perfect with just the right amount of branches so that all the important ornaments can have their own branch.

Can we say "obsessive compulsive??" But only about my Christmas tree! One things for sure every year after I'm gone my kids will always think of my everytime they decorate the tree!

I'm a lot like Kim. Each year I ask Keith to pick two colors and that is the theme for the year. This year he picked blue and green, so our tree is lit with blue and green lights, which from a distance looks like the most beautiful shade of turquiose. The ornaments are blue, green and gold ones for accents.

There are some exceptions to the rule, in that my family does an ornament exchange every Christmas, and I feel that these are tributes to the many happy Christmas' I've been blessed with shared with family. Those must be included regardless of whether they fit that years theme. I also have a special ornament from Keith and my first Christmas with our names ingraved and they year. I couldn't dream of not including that.

And like Kim, I match my wrapping paper and bows to the tree colors as well as the home decore I chose to put out all fits the household theme.

Previous years I've had the Blue, white and silver tree; last year was red, white and crystal; I've had Gold and Silver trees; Eggplant purple and Sage Green; and the list goes on. So, if anyone needs any ornaments of just about any color, I have extras... :lol: I think next year I am just going to make a multicolor tree and just put everything up. Boy would that be a lot of light strands!

Okay, I will fess up... I too am one of those...coordinate the tree with the wrapping paper... I have had so many themed trees that my children finally have said ENOUGH!!!! We want the old fashioned ornaments back... so this year... the tree is filled with all the ornaments from their childhoods and even has old fashioned tinsel hanging from the branches... no wrapping paper that matches... I have to say, it looks very nice - very old-fashioned.

I do have a second tree in my formal living room that is covered with angel ornaments... all different kinds.... it is one of my favorites.

Blue, white and crystal this year....poinsettias and snowflakes, the "dead" spots in the picture are poinsettias. Easy to see in daylight. The snowflakes are crystal bead ornaments my son and I made last year. I buy ornaments every year, but this year wanted a beautiful tree and only put on the new ornament, not those of years past...

Wanna see?

f0fb9ed0.jpg