Joanie (daggiesmom)needs our prayers (Update)

Maryanne

Joanie,

You are in my prayers. I pray that God will heal your body and return your strength to you. I pray that you will be able to go to your own home under the watchful eye of your loving husband and a loving God.

First of all Jen, I hope things are improving for you. This pain has to get managed. I hope they can find the source and correct it and you can be pain free. That is what I have been praying for.

Joanie's husband keeps us up to date with Joanies progress in the forum of Spiritual and Inspiration.

He just wrote this on this yesterday. So you can see she certainly is getting better.

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:22 pm Post subject: Joanie's 27-Dec Update

Joanie is a pain in the *ss... that's how I can tell she is getting much better. She keeps insisting that she can go home NOW! She is still somewhat confused & groggy from two weeks of an induced coma, which the doctor says is fairly common. However, she thinks she is being clever about plotting her great escape from the hospital. First, she tricked a nurse into calling me at home early this morning. When the nurse hands her the phone, she tells me to get there right away & bring her clothes. (I hear the nurse yelling in the background that it isn't true and that Joanie tricked her.) She later tells Dr. S that Dr. B says it's OK for her to go home. She then tells Dr. B the same thing about Dr. S. When Dr. M starts telling her about the therapy plan for the next few days, she tells him that she will do the stuff at home since Drs. S & B say she can leave. She stopped nagging around mid-afternoon and her nurse said maybe she finally realizes that she really isn't ready to leave. I just smiled. The nurse doesn't know her like I do. When I kissed her as I was leaving tonight, she said "Don't forget my coat & pants in the morning."

Medically, she is doing much better. The final drainage tube is out as are the catheter and most of the IV lines. They replaced the oxygen mask that she has used since Sunday with a small oxygen tube that sits under her nose & causes her no discomfort. She is on solid food and ate a good part of a cheeseburger that the docs let me "smuggle" in after she just picked at the hospital food. They had her up out of bed for about an hour sitting in a chair. She started breathing exercises today to strengthen her damaged lung and tomorrow she starts physical therapy to start building strength in muscles that she hasn't used in over 2 weeks. Still of concern to the doctors is her heart rate which occasionally becomes irregular and very high with no discernable physical cause. She is still in ICU with a bunch more healing to go but, if all goes well, she could be released sometime next week.

Brian