Bone Scan results---need input--update 12/24

gail

:roll::roll:

Some background: Fall allergy season, much post nasal drip. Due to multi-nodular goiter putting pressure on my windpipe, there was much coughing at night. One night I coughed so hard I checked to see that my eyeball was still intact. :lol:

Developed rib pain, severe enough to go to the primary. She put my on anti-inflamatories and sent me for rib xrays. Went to the local place. (2nd week of november). Clear. Had a CT scan scheduled on the 15th as well.

Saw onc Nov 22. Told him about rib pain, which was subsiding, but still there. Scheduled a bone scan Dec 7

I did not call for results. It is the christmas season and they would call me.

Now the report:

Nurse left a message last night. "Nothing to worry about" but call.

Called today. "Some activity on one rib" (Think I can remember which one?) He wants a rib xray, but feels it could be a rib fracture.

The pain has drastically subsided[/b]

Now my questions:

Anybody have "activity" on a bone scan that was not serious?

My brain is running in overtime. With the history of breast cancer, I feel there is a double demon lurking.

This is why God created ativan and created doctors who will subscribe.

Oh, and for sure today, I am call my spa gift certificate place and whatever is availabe tomorrow afternoon, I am taking it.

gail

Gail,

Try not to stress too much. All kinds of things show up on scans that aren't threatening. If the pain is subsiding, that seems to me to be a very good sign......do the spa thing and keep up with the ativan, but pain subsiding is a very, very good thing.

Best wishes,

Cindy

Gail...I think this is nothing a long massage and a few deep breaths can't help! If it is something serious, I'm sure it will be fixable! I'm so glad you know that we're here for you!

Enjoy the spa!!!

Gail,

Hope you enjoy the massage, but keep them away from the sore rib area. It doesn't take much to refracture a healing broken rib.

My broken ribs show as uptake on PET scans. Even the healing or healed fractures show some uptake. And up until this most recent bout of rib fractures there was never any question that the areas were malignant. Time has proven that they weren't.

Hope you are able to enjoy the Holidays even with a very sore body.

Gail,

A healing bone is "activity". I had a light on my bone scan a month after surgery, where the surgeon "nicked" my rib to bend it more.

Here's hoping you fractured that darn rib and didn't dislocate your eyeball (I always feel like the back of my skull is going to pop off when I have a huge coughing fit).

Happy holidays!

Gail,

You had radiation for breast cancer,

this makes the ribs easier to break

even after many years.

Had a bone scan November 30th and results:

2 broken ribs number 3 & 4 (from a fall

November 21st)

same side as radiation I had in 1999.

They heal by themselves with some help

from pain medication.

Good luck.

Jackie

Gail,

I, too, had areaS light up - or whatever they do on a bone scan. It was attributed to herniated disc from a year and a half ago. The other are was inflamation from stenosis. It doesn't ALWAYS mean something really bad.

I want to believe you would have been called if doc was REAL concerned. Are you remembering to BREATHE?? I must remind myself to do that from time to time....just like EVERYONE here who now pay attention to EVERYTHING going on in their bodies. Most times - just regular old stuff....just not for us anymore.

Be sure to let us know when you do. But for now, have a wonderful holiday with your family.

XOXOXO,

Kasey

From when I was first diagnosed (Memorial Day, 2004), all the scans would report some degenerative changes in my spine, and a place at the top of one leg. As of about last April/May, some hotshot Radiologist decided that those places were "consistent with metastasis," so that's what it became to the doctor filling in for my PCP! All the scan reports after that showed the same things -- same place, same size, etc. Finally, the Oncologist wrote in BIG letters to the Radiologist (one of theirs at their imaging center) - to please check out past scans, and show changes in those spots so she could better treat her patient.

Well, the answer came back - DUH. Sowwy.

Since then, they just mention the places, but don't call them metastasis now. Finally.

It's frustrating when you have so many places to go for treatment, so many docs, Radiologists, etc. I'd go with the doc(s) you trust most. My PCP even agrees that once you mention "cancer" in an x-ray report, just about anything they see from that point on is "consistent with metastatis."

My best wishes to you.

Di

Hi Gail,

Hmmmmmm the massage sounds wonderful. :D I hoped they fit you in as you seem like you certainly could use some TLC.

Thinking of you Gail, and hoping you have a great holiday.

Sending prayers about scan for positive results!!

Maryanne :wink:

Hi Gail,

I had a hot spot show up on my bone, very much like yours sounds. They told me the same thing as you, it could be a crack or arthritis acting up.

Anyway, they were right, I'm sure yours is nothing also, I understand it is not all that uncommon to get a little light spot on a bone scan.

Once people hit our age their arthritis can easily cause a spot, so PLEASE don't worry about it.

Have a great Christmas, I'm sure you had what I had

Take care,

Kathy

The massage was wonderful. To lay there quietly for an hour, especially after a day of 8 year olds!!!

I have diagnosed myself. :lol:

After the tram flap reconstuction, I have had intermittent issues with that spot. At one point they ultrasounded my gallbladder and liver. All clear.

I have decided that when that surgery was done, something happened with my rib, and the coughing caused further issues.

Sounds good huh? :wink:

gail

Happy New Year Gail!

Of course I am wondering if you ever found out why you were having the rib pain. I have had continual pain since surgery, but have also coughed hard enough to crack my sternum. Please let us know. Will keep you in my prayers.

Gosh, a massage does sound wonderful. :lol: