Lung tumour size

JennyS

Hi Jenny,

My tumor was 7 1/2 cm. Please keep in mind that my outcome may be different then yours. If I understand correctly, size does not matter as much as type and location.

I was dx March 2003 with NSCLC. I was never given a stage. After all the usual test...CT-Bone-Pet etc the cancer did not appear to have spread anywhere else. I was given 30 radiation treatments along with 5 weeks chemo (Carbo/Taxol). The surgeon told me before the treatments that he was not sure he could get it out if he went in. After the treatments he grinned from ear to ear and said " the sooner I go in the better your chances of beating it." Surgery was scheduled and the lung was removed. I have CT every 6 months and x-ray every 6 months. These are at 3 months intervals.

It has been 2 years 9 months now and I remain Cancer Free. My doctors are pleased and as you can guess I am too. My surgeon uses the words "extremely pleased" and "remarkable recovery" when I see him.

Does 7 cm seem big? When you hear the words cancer, 1 cm is big. Is there hope? I think other members here can join me when I say YES.

Hang in there. Keep us posted as to your progress. We are here to help in any way we can. Feel free to PM me if you need to.

One more thing. My surgeon told me there was a microscopic trace of cancer. Thinking he meant after the lung was removed, I ask how we were going to get rid of that. He laughed and said that was what was left after the chemo/radiation and the report meant micro-scopic trace before surgery. So you see, my 7 1/2 cm went to micro-scopic trace. So don't let size deminish your hopes for a cure. Good Luck. :)

Joel was 7cm also. But his was in one lung which they removed. He did not have any lymph nodes that were affected. He had Chemo. carbo/taxol and has been NED since his operation last year this time.

He had no symptoms, in fact he felt good. He hurt his back and they gave him an xray and they found the tumor. Lucked out there, that's for sure.

You said he has activity in both. So I don't know what his staging or treatment will be.

Maryanne