UPDATE NODULE CHECK (PART 2)

Connie B

My nodule went up and down in size over the last soon to be 4 years. It started out a 4mm nodule, then 6mm then 7mm then 5mm then 8mm then 6mm. Part of this is the Scan's themselves. (What my Pulm Doc told me). On my last CT scan 6 months ago my nodule was back down to 4mm and they are 99% sure it's scar tissue.

Also, INFECTION can go up and down as well as a Fungus. OR it could be TB. All NODULES are not Lung Cancer.

Again, in my case being I AM a lung cancer survivor they tend to watch LC patients a little closer.

Hello Everyone,

When a nodule has grown, what else could it be?

Thanks,

Teresa

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a lung biopsy in January due to a nodule that had increased in size. They actually took 2 biopsies. One showed scar tissue from bronchitis/pneumonia and the other the pathologist said is BOOP (bronchiolitis obliterans with organizing pneumonia). Whew...that's a long one. I still have a nodule in the opposite lung that they're watching but I'm pretty sure it's more of the same stuff.

So there is no sign of cancer at all.

Dear mdsum1,

This is great news, but could you please share with us what type of biopsy they did on your nodule? Was it a surgery or what? We are very interested in knowing the does and don'ts of nodules. Also, are you a Lung Cancer Survivor? You have nothing in your profile area filled out.

Best wishes,

Connie

I had a lung biopsy in January due to a nodule that had increased in size. They actually took 2 biopsies. One showed scar tissue from bronchitis/pneumonia and the other the pathologist said is BOOP (bronchiolitis obliterans with organizing pneumonia). Whew...that's a long one. I still have a nodule in the opposite lung that they're watching but I'm pretty sure it's more of the same stuff.

So there is no sign of cancer at all.

Dear Connie,

They did the biopsy using video assisted thoracoscopy or VATs. I believe the nodule was 2.2cmx1.3cm and was indicated as suspicious of neoplasm according to the CT report. I didn't see anything in the reports prior to surgery indicating what size the other nodule removed was. I'm guessing they found it during surgery. The third nodule in the opposite lung is only 5mm and has not changed. The surgery wasn't too bad. It was done on Monday morning and I was released from the hospital on Friday afternoon. I was sent home with oxygen for 2 weeks but have been able to get rid of that.

No, I am not a lung cancer survivor. I joined this site in 2004 after my Dad had surgery for colorectal cancer and then they found nodules in his lungs. They were unsure if this was a new primary or mets from the colon cancer. As it turned out they were mets from the colon cancer. My sister in law was diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer in December 2004. She has done 30 radiation treatments but could not tolerate the cisplatin/etopiside after just a few treatments. She is doing well now but I feel it's best to find out as much as you can about your treatment options before you are forced to make a hasty decision.

Myra

It is interesting to note that a nodule 2.2 x 1.3 cm can be from bronchitis/pnemonia. My nodule is 2.2 x 1.4 cm. That is about an inch. I have not had any bronchitis in years, and have never had pneumonia. I have only the one lung left, and aim to keep as much of it that I can. I don't even want to sacrifice any of it in a wedge resection to see if the nodule is malignant. It popped up within a space of 6 months. I will see what the PET scan says and then go to my pulmonologist to see what he says and then probably go to Seattle Cybeknife for consultation.

Don M