Any relief from chemo side effects?

jacobson1972

My mom had her first round of chemo on 12/20/05. Unfortunately, I do not know what type of chemo it is....my parents have not been very detailed about any of this, so it's hard to get info from them.

I was hoping some of you could recommend some side effect relief tips from chemo. She's describing it as flu-like symptoms. She's not able to eat anything either.

Also, what are some of the other side effects from chemo that may come?

I'm sorry I don't post often. Thank you for your help and support.

Happy holidays,

Beth

I don't know why she is not able to eat anything. Is is because she is puking?

Or because of the "taste" of food?

Or just no appetite.

If she is puking then fluids, for sure.

The taste of food, then she needs more choices.

If it is from discomfort, then she needs to find a temp and texture that goes down.

If it is no appetite, then she has to eat no matter what. Just has to have small portions and graze on some things or drink ensure or boost.

The more info you give us, the better we can help you.

Try to pry it out of them.

Cindi o'h

Hi Beth,

Welcome here. Sorry about your mom.

Joel had carbo/taxol and it did give him flu like symptoms in his legs and feet. That was about 3 to 4 days after treatment. That lasted maybe 4 days then it left. He never had a problems with eating. But if she has neaseua there is medication she can take.

She must get fluids in her so she does not get dehydreated. Maybe she can eat smaller meals during the day and not big meals.

Good luck,

Maryanne

The best thing is the simply water. Make sure she drinks it before, during, and after the chemo. It will help with the aches. As the others have said, she needs to take in something for nourishment and fluids to prevent dehydration. Glad you found some information to help you, there is lots of good info here. Good luck.

Thank you for the replies. In answer to one of the questions, she is feelng sick to her stomach, achy all over and even the smell of food makes her feel like she's going to be sick. As of yet though, she has not thrown up.

I spoke with her this evening and she was able to eat some toast, so at least that is something.

Thanks again.

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL!!!

Beth

Beth,

So sorry to hear your mom is feeling so crummy. My husband has had lots of nausea without vomiting, and what we found helped keep his strength up was to drink lots of fluids like Gatorade or pedilite something with electrolites or some nutrient value greater than water as well as hydration plus find something she can tolerate and eat it as much and as often as can be tolerated. Keith couldn't tolerate food either, but for some reason Dairy Queen shakes he could get down. They had no smell, slid down easy and actually soothed his stomach. For a while there I was buying him 3-4 a day. Maybe not the most balanced diet but it was better than nothing, kept his weight up and strength up.

Also important is to take her anti-nausea meds regularly and on schedule. They work well to control nausea, but not has hot to reverse what is already actively happening.

Hi Beth,

My sister-in-law was recently going through chemo, actually the same time as I was. Her family was determined that she eat protein, especially turkey, thinking it would make her feel better. She couldn't get any of it down and was actually fading fast. My doctor said it best "All bets are off with chemo" Eat anything you want. Whatever you crave no matter how strange is what you should eat. As soon as I gave her permission, (I practically had to scream at her husband) she started eating, one frozen meatball from Trader Joes, thick shake, etc. and soon was on the rebound. Honestly don't remember exactly what she ate, but the point is that she ate whatever she wanted. Boy, did she thank me.

I found the over the counter pain reliever Aleve to be very helpful with the flu like pain. I found it to be better than the vicodin that the doctor prescribed because that tends to constipate. Someone said earlier: water. Drink lots of water, it does help.

Hi Beth: drinking lots of water will alleviate the aches and pains. I drank a lot more water than I am accustomed to while doing chemo. I drank a minimum of 6 glasses a day. You are supposed to drink 8. I have been off chemo sicne July. I don't drink as much water now, but I know I should.

Don M

I agree that taking in a lot of fluids is important to your mom's health, as well as nourishment. If she eats small snacks every two or three hours instead of three big meals a day, it will be easier to get it down, and will actually ease the nausea. Fluids with lots of calories are good -- Ensure, Breeze, Frosties, Smoothies, Gastorade, ice cream, blender drinks, yogurt. Hope she is better soon. Don

I am doing chemo,taxotere and carboplatin and also have the flulike symptoms.I have to take steroids the day before,the day of and the day after the chemo.The day I stop them is the first day i feel achy,tired and just miserable.That lasts 2or3 days.

I take ibuprophen for the aches,hydrate,lots of water.And rest as much as needed.Ensure plus is great.

Some of my other side effects are,dizzieness,weakness,rash on face at times.throat irritation,skin sore to touch,but everyone is different.And the chemos are different too.

You will find lots of help here.I did