Work after treatment?

Calintay

I have a question. How many people have gone back to work after treatment? My mom always a hard, motivated worker had quit work to go to school then she was diagnosed and had quit school to fight this beast. Well now since she has met NED she has started selling on ebay. My dad makes a good amount of money but still less than what they had been used to and my mom feels she should find work again.

I discourage this for several reasons 1.) being I know she enjoys staying home 2.) I know she has always worked and feels as if she is not contributing enough (which is not true) 3.) She doesn't have much energy

My question is after treatment is fatigue still a normal thing? Will she always have that? Would possibly going to work maybe even part time help with that or is it a new norm? So any insight about going back to work after treatment and ways to cope with it or should she just enjoy not working. She admits she has no energy but would like to work for financial reasons

Hmmm...Heidi - don't really have a sure answer for you. I was retired through all this. However, my energy really isn't so bad. BUT I did notice I felt I needed some motivation. Doing 'fun' things with friends who do not understand where my mind is now after LC was not what I had in mind. So I now volunteer in the library in the school where I taught. I must say, checking the books in and out isn't so bad, BUT shelving is a different matter :shock: . I think that bit of exercise is good and I find more motivated and feeling better. Not sure about your Mother's energy. Maybe a little more time to recuperate. But doing things that make you feel like you are doing SOMETHING is very helpful.

Kasey

It is great to see that your mom is NED.

I worked most of the time during chemo. I took about 4 days off every 2 weeks. I continued to walk a mile a day during chemo. I wanted really bad to be able to keep doing my job as a forest technician, but after a while, I realized I would not be able to do the physical part of it effeciently.

I retired last September. I could not negotiate steep terrain in the woods anymore. I think it was mainly because I have only one lung now and not because of the chemo. However, my oncologist told me that it could take up to a year before I get all my stamina back after chemo. I finished chemo last July. I feel good now, but I will never be able to hike on steep ground like I used to do.

If your mom is motivated, exercises every day, she should be able to do work that does not demand intense physical exertion. If your mom wants to return to work, I think you should encourage her. Maybe her energy will pick up after returning to work.

Don M

I went back to work, but the difference is that I truly wanted to go back to work. I teach high school history. It was so good to get back to what I love to do. For me, going back to work was a very good thing. We each have to consider the variables and make our own choices.

I have not missed a day of work due to Chemo/radiation in 2 1/2 years. That is not a brag, I needed to work.....it gave my mind a chance to concentrate on things other than cancer. If she wants to work (truely) then I say go for it, it really helps occupy your mind and takes it off your problems.....But working is not for everyone

jim

I went back to work about a month after my last chemo. I had applied for a job and was suppose to start working in December when I found out about the lung cancer. I showed up for orientation in May!

That was May 1998! I still am working at the same job- I am an RN working on the floor which includes about 8 hours of running up and down the halls, helping lifting and turning patients , etc. Its tiring work, always was, but I figure I am not 21yrs old any more! I do only work 2/3rds time also instead of full time.

Best wishes, you do what you can. Things do get better. Donna G