Spouses of NSCLC fighters

Guest Tania Haldar Hart

Guest Tania Haldar Hart

Are there any spouses coping with their significant others' NSCLC condition?

I am 30 and my husband is 29. He was diagnosed in Sept. 02 with low grade Stage Four, adenocarcinoma. He is a non-smoker. We do not have children.

It all started with a sharp shooting pain in the leg, one day, in April 2002. Four doctors later, we all still did not know what the matter was. Then the blood clots happened all over the legs, alternating one leg at a time (that we did not know to identify as such until much later since the doctors didn't suspect anything). Learned about deep vein thrombosis, quickly. The rest is history. Round five of Taxol & carboplatin is on hold due to low platelet counts and a bone marrow test is this Wednesday.

I do Yoga and read him funny lawyer jokes (he is an attorney). I also believe in inner strength and a positive mindset despite any "grim" statistics that float around. I STRONGLY believe that there is cure and that we just either do not know about it or have not come across it yet. But we intend to fight this war with a rage that defies medicinal powers. We pray and wish the same for you.

Waiting to hear from the spouses. I am sure we have a lot to talk about.

Tania,

My husband was diagnosed in Sept with Stage IV NSCLC with mets to the brain. He has since had a craniotomy, whole brain radiation and a lobectomy of his upper right lobe. We meet tomorrow with the oncologist and the radiologist to review what chemo and radiation they will do.

We are optimistic, you have to be. The big problems he has right now are: 1. he gets really cold 2: metallic taste so NOTHING tastes good and he is losing weight, too much. I am wife, the nag, forcing him to eat and 3. he has trouble concentrating. Primary doc says that is to be expected after 2 major surgeries, all the drugs, the radiation and the anesthesia.

He agreed from the beginning that he wanted to take the most agressive route. He is just 60. I wish your husband and all the members here a cure.

Keep us posted

Ginny

Hi everyone,

My husband, age 51, has stage IV NSCLC with mets to the brain and vertebrae. He has had whole brain radiation and also stereotactic radiosurgery to the brain met just this past Friday. Tuesday he will have round 2 of carbo-taxol. We are trying to be extremely optomistic about his situation. Except for being fatigued and having back pain, he is doing wonderfully well. God bless all of you.

Peg

Guest Jennifer

Tania-

I can truly relate....My husband was diagnosed with Stage IV NSCLC with brain mets Oct 26, 2002. He also is a nonsmoker. We are both 31 years old. It is hard to understand why this has happened. Tom has had whole brain radiation. (22 treatments) Tomorrow he will start round 4 of chemo. (Ifosfamide, Cisplatin, Etoposide)

Coping has been very difficult at times. If you feel like chatting....JenStek1@aol.com

Jennifer

Tania, I am a spouse of a Stage IV NSCLC patient. She has five bone mets that we know of, with very little residual tumor in the lungs. She was diagnosed Oct. 2002, has had radiation on three bone mets and has had two chemo treatments. But she got a staph infection in her port, so the chemo is on hold until we get her well again. She is doing well this week. We even went out to dinner with our daughter Saturday night. We have a lot of support from our church and other friends. But it is still overwhelming. I try to find time to work out at the gym, take rides or walks, do chores -- just to get back some normalcy in my life. I also have a caregiver assigned to me by the church, who is super. Many prayers, many prayers. I am optimistic also. I feel this bolt of lightning in our lives had brought us closer together as mates and as a family. Best to you all. Don

Tania,

My husband NSCLC Stage IV with mets to the brain too. Found out about it in June of 2000. It was quite a shock for us since he had not had any problems or signs. We have a 10 year old daughter.

I can say to you to stay focused, positive and look into alternative meds. He has had radiation and chemo and has done unbelievably well. Has had no further growth.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband. Hang in there.

Alyse

My husband was just diagnosised this past July of 2002. I am 35, and we have an 11 year old daughter. We just celebrated our 12 yr anniversary.

His cancer has spread to his lymph nodes and adrenial glands. He did very well with chemo and is now undergoing radiation. Just recently he has been experiencing a new symptom.

The doctors are running tests to rule out penial or bladder cancer. Just when things look good we hit another wall.......

The hardest part of all this is that my friends have no idea what I am going thru and all I can do is put the brave face on and smile, when inside I feel as if I have lost myself.

• 4 months later...

My husband is 48, I am 35, and he was diagnosed in April 02 w/stage four NSCLC w/mets to the brain, lymph nodes, heart sacs, lungs' pleura, and adrenal gland. He is a fighter and a strong person mentally...he has put up a darn good fight and we choose hope and try to be as optimistic as we can be. I love him dearly and we have had our ups and downs during the past year and 2 months. This is very hard. I don't want to lose him. I don't want to be a widow. I cannot imagine starting a whole relationship over with anyone else. I am sad and scared. :(