Preventative whole brain radiation

Guest SoniaD

Guest SoniaD

Hi I'm kinda new here. I've been reading all posts for about a year but never actually posted myself. I've followed Mrs. Mike's story since the beginning. What an amazing woman. Anyways has anyone here had Preventative whole brain radiation? My Mom is in the middle of her treatment and I'm just a little nervous of the outcome. She is 71 years old so I'm concerned with the memory loss. Can anyone give me positive feed back on this? Also when she went to the doctor today he said her hair might grow back. My understanding was there was only a 10% chance it wouldn't grow back. Thanks.

Hi SoniaD,

After chemo, lung radiation, and surgery I had 15 days of brain radiation. It took about 15 seconds on each side. The radiology technicians were kind enough to come in 15 minutes early so I could get it done before I went to school each day to start teaching. I lost my hair for the second time after chemo. It came back. I was told by my oncologist, who is excellent, that the brain is a breeding ground where cancer cells like to nest. I was willing to go the distance because I'm not ready for the ultimate option at this point in my career. Look up the website that was mentioned in the earlier post to find out more. The side effects very from person to person. My wife says I'm an absent minded professor anyway so I don't know if I have any other side effects.

There is good support here so keep posting.

Remeber our hope is in the Lord,

Bengel

Guest SoniaD

Thank you all so much for your input. It did put me at ease some what. I do have another question. My Mom's head is very tender from the radiation. Do any of you have any suggestions on what would help it?

Hi Sonia; I am a 48 yo male Dx with SCLC in jan 03. I just completed PCI about 4 weeks ago and assure you that I do not have any long or short term memory loss. I did lose my hair as a result, and the scalp is a bit dry, but was given a product (Aquaphor) by my radiolgy oncologist that helped a great deal. Best of wishes to both your Mom and you. Hope this is of help. Good thoughts and prayers, Kentwisc.

Hi Sonia,

I will see my radiologist on Wed. to start PCI. I feel very lucky to be in a position to be able to do this. I am much more afraid of the brain tumors than anything the PCI will do to me. I found this article that made me feel a little better about it. I didn't know about the chance that my hair might not come back though.

Jenny

http://theoncologist.alphamedpress.org/ ... st;5/4/299

Dialogues in Oncology

Prophylactic Cranial Irradiation in Small-Cell Lung Cancer: Is It Still Controversial or Is It a No-Brainer?

Andrew T. Turrisi, III

Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina, USA