Radiation starts tomorrow

icbn

I start my first round of radiation tomorrow. From what I have learned here it will be 2-3 weeks before any side effects kick in.

At first i was hesitant to share the news with all now, I wouldn't want my request for information about new treatments to be construed as having a "pity Party". Because of this new influence on the boards, I think I will use the start of this treatment as a time to take a brief hiatus from the LCSC.

At least until the smoke clears.

Take Care and may God grant all of you a return to health and happiness.

Bill,

This is Snowflake and I'm going to DEMAND that you log in here while going through radiation. Yes, side effects begin at 2-3 weeks for the esophagus, but the "sun burn" could start earlier. I want to see a post from you at least once a week on how your sessions are, how your counts are (weekly bloodwork) and how you are feeling. You may NOT take time off due to someone's ignorance, this is a SUPPORT board, not a political sounding board.

So, that being said... :wink:

Radiation should be a snap. IF you are among the 10% that can "taste" radiation (I was), try sucking on sour candies during the microwaving - Altoid's tangerine sours were my drug of choice. The taste is metallic, you'll know within two sessions if you can taste it...

The tattooes aren't real fun. Much larger bore of needle than the artists use. Hurts.

Don't put any cream on your chest or back an hour prior to your session. Nekid skin....

Relax...

...and come back. Confirm it ain't all that bad, it sure is scary to think about it, huh?

First-- your request for a hall pass is denied. If you don't check in here you're getting fined--maybe even the paddle. :lol:

Secondly- regarding the influence...don't let the putz get you down.

Thirdly--you need us, we need you, we're all in this together.

Good luck!

I am always up for a spanking party for hall pass deliquents. Yippee!

Now about the pity party remark....I think a spanking is in order for even mentioning one.

Screw the pity! Lets kick some cancer cells *ss. A good fight brings out the wanna be a redneck in me. Lets do this!

I have some grief to work off and I am sure I can find a posse.

Much love and no smoke what so ever,

Eppie

Bill,

Please dont stay away! We are a team here and you are part of it! Why would you stay away when this is when you may need the support the most and have the most questions?? Please listen to Ry, Becky and Eppie and dont stay away, I will be praying for better days ahead for you.

God Bless,

Jane

My radiologist had me to use alcohol free Aloe Vera Gel on my chest immediately. Later you can use Aquaphor. Another really good product is Sween Cream. You have to order the Sween cream from the pharmacist even though you do not need a prescription to get it. Best Wishes and get back when you feel like it.

Prayers

oh, okay. well anyway, Bill ... you will have to hang out for a bit. I want to see if your day goes like mine, okay?

You were tatooed already and did the sim thing and the pillow fitting/cradle with your arms over your head?

Well my treatment room included a 12"thick vaulted heavy metal door incase of nuclears getting away.. tell me if they have that where you go...

I would whip off my shirt over by the sink...run to the middle of the room and jump on the narrow metal table. Arms overhead. Then the techs shimmy you this way and then that way and get the crosshairs lined up with your scabby tatoos.check table height check plates that are put into the radiation machine to guide the beam to the precise point of the day...once a week the doctor came to check their precision techniques and a chest xray to see how the

"area of concern" is responding.

oh. so then the techs run out of the room once they all agree that all is perfect. While they are gone, I hear a noise of the machine and see some kind of vague purple light. And I murmur sometimes louder than others..."tan me, Oh SunGod" and then giggle at my own small helpless voice. Then the techs run back in and start rearranging things and changing cassettes and turn the radiation arm around to the underside to send the beam directly to the "area of interest".. and run out again.

Very important Bill to visualize the rays doing their job. I know you have a wonderful combative experienced, creative mind. However you can kill off those cells using the radiation AND visualization, I believe you will be better off. Don't forget to ask God and all of us to help either. All of these things I believe, add up to success.

I lost my modesty during the first week. It didn't take me long to figure out that these people were not interested in what kind of lovelies were under my shirt. They were interested in doing a good job, in saving my body, all the while nurturing my spirit and soul in the kindest seemingly unnoticed ways. But, I noticed. They were wonderful. Always calm, yet happy to help and gentle.

They put the galderma moisture cream on my back after every treatment as I could not reach there.

When the burns did come... I got the 3rd degree kind, Nudoop, from Thailand, cleaned and dressed my wounds everyday. Very gentle.

I hope that your team is as good as mine.

You should ask to see the schematics of your treatment plan, Bill. You would not believe it. It is beyond our minds what they have planned for us. All so that we can live. They work hard so that we can beat this thing. They are amazing!

Whatever comes up for you, we will help you through. No problem. You are a buddy. Drink lots of fluids. That really does help. Sleep when you need. Exercise too.

I have confidence in you, Bill, that this treatment will work for you!!!

I wanna hear about your first day...was it anything like mine? It was scary for me at first, but I got over it.

love, Cindi o'h

Bill, my husband drank Carafat mixed in grape juice at the hospital immediately before each radiation tx. He took it at home on the weekends. He did get the metallic taste but did NOT get any esophagus burn. If I remember Carafat is an rx. It was a miracle drug for Earl.

And, please don't abandon us, you are a member of our family and will be missed.

Bill,

Thinking of you today and hoping that the radiation goes well for you.

I have a feeling you're gonna be in BIG trouble around here if you don't keep all of us updated on how you're doing!!!!!

Just stick around....the smoke is bound to clear out soon. :D

Warm Hugs,

Melinda

Bill,

Please keep us posted. we need you and you

may need us. So stick around awhile.

Praying all goes well. Alan did get a pretty

nasty burn on his back, but other than that

his treatments when pretty well.

Like Cindi said, these are amazing people.

They will take incredible care of you!!!!

Alan and I are so close to his radiation

oncologist that I now play softball with them.

Again please keep in touch

Best of luck during treatment! Please keep us posted on how you're doing. I will miss reading your posts. I think you've got some of that special "spunk" that we need more of around here!!!

listen, good luck with the start of your treatment. we're here for you, no matter what. I hope you'll post, but at least PM cause we want to support you through this!

don't let the troll under the bridge chase you away.

if he tries, jimben knows a coupla guys... :wink:

xoxo

amie

Thanks Ginny, that's the name of that NASTY foul stuff, Carafat...OH, it was horrible...but it helped. I drank a shot of aloe first to soothe and then the nasty stuff to coat. Gave me time without pain, made sure to have it time out for a dose just before bedtime...

C'mon back, Bill...

Hey,

Not sure if it is too late for you to check into this, but I was given daily injections of a drug called Amifostine. It's purpose was to inhibit radiation damage to healthy tissue from radiation scatter. And in my case it appears to have worked. Bill, we're allowed to have Pity Parties. I host one for myself about once a month. Asking for information and sharing information is not the same thing as a Pity Party...not at all. I hope that you will continue to come here and tell us what is on your mind, share your experiences, ask questions. You will be missed if you take off on us.