Hi I'm new to this site and have a ????

Guest karen s.

Guest karen s.

Hi You All,

I've been monitoring this site for a while, and thought I'd finally register. My husband has stage IV NSCLC, and just finished 15 radiation treatments to the lungs, and 15 additional treatments to an area near his spine. They won't give him any additional radiation, as he had a bone marrow transplant 10 yrs. ago(this Sept 10th), and he received 1,000 rads then. He had been told that he had COPD/emphysema like Glo's husband and told to exercise by a pulmonary doctor for the past 4 years... as a matter of fact, he's been complaining of shortness of breath to him, and his oncologist(who he sees semi annually), and internal medicine doc for years... oh well, that's negative energy and can't waste too many thoughts on that stuff right now. We should hear from his oncologist tomorrow, and they mentioned starting him on Taxol and Carboplatin. Other then being tired, loss of appetitie, etc the standard you all have helped with here, and I had experience with during the marrow tranplant. He has hot/cold flashes. I told him it's menopause, but he's not buying that. Any suggestions, short of me slipping him some of my natural hormones??? Thanks for leting me "eavesdrop" before I officially registered. I can't tell you how much reading all your posts has helped. Karen

Guest peggyd

Hi

One thing I have noticed with Mike is that EVERYTHING that happens to him he attributes to the cancer. I am sure that is a very natural reaction but I keep trying to tell him that one thing actually MAY NOT be a result of the cancer. He has had problems urinating (on and off; no infections, basically doc believes caused by stress); problems with gas; problems burping; problems not being able to burp; if he got a hang nail he would blame it on the cancer and worry himself sick about it. Its very possible that the hot/cold flashes COULD be caused by something else; even male menopause. I have heard of that happening.

I just try and keep Mike on an even keel (which is often really difficult to do). If something is caused by the cancer, we just have to deal with it. But it does him no good to dwell on it and make himself even more stressed.

Welcome to the group. Keep us posted on progress. You will be added to our prayer list and hope we are in yours. Hugs to you both.

Peggy

Happen day or night. It's one of the symptoms of malignancy. I was told by the Onc that it had nothing to do with hormones, and everything to do with the cancer.

You've described it perfectly. One minute I am freezing and cannot get warm. The next minute I have soaked through my clothes, the chair where I sit, or the bedding, and it has NOTHING to do with the external temperature. I don't have a fever, either. Very strange, but supposedly common in those of us with lung cancer, Lymphoma, and other forms of cancer. It's actually a "Hallmark" symptom.

I am very sorry that you have need to find us, but would like to welcome you anyway...

Best Wishes,

Fay A.

I just read on another lung ca listserv the story of a woman whose husband had hot and cold flashes. His cortisol and testosterone levels were low. Low thyroid could be a factor as well. You might mention checking these to you doc; they are simple things to correct. Best wishes, Teresa

Guest karen s.

Thank you all for your kind remarks, and all the information. I'll mention the cortisol, testoterone, thyroid levels to the Onc when we see him Tuesday. You're all in my thoughts and prayers.