paranoia

Andrea

I was not sure where to post this, but just wanted to share b/c I remember other posts similar. Like I think Debi was worried after a test b/c someone gave her a pen :)

Ok, I had blood work done by my mom's oncologist as part of a hematology consult which stemmed from an autoimmune panel taken for fertility reasons. Very confusing. So anyway, I got the tests done New Years Eve. I called his physician assistant to check in and to get the name of another endocronologist b/c the one he recommended does not take my insurance.

I get this message on my answering machine tonight from the PA "Dr Barth got your results but needs time to go through it all, he will review it this weekend" and then I also got another doctor name on the machine.

I am paranoid b/c why does he need time to go through it?? Either normal or not. So now I am worried :) My mom said it is b/c they were wierd tests and not typical CBC; or the real point of the message was just to give me the dr name. I bet if the PA realized her messgae will make me paranoid all weekend she would feel bad :)

At least I haave an excuse to be grumpy for a couple of days. It is fun to have an excuse!

Andrea,

I wouldn't worry - it could be something as simple as the office had to call you with another physician's name and decided to mention your results were in. It's possible the doctor hadn't seen them yet and the PA was just letting you know they were in!

Don't waste your weekend with worry - go out and enjoy it. Hit the pub first!

~Suz

oh Andrea! No way can it be cancer, right? I mean he is just checking... the oncologist, because he knows blood too right?

You're not thinking you have cancer, do you???

By the way, you don't need this excuse to be angry, you have plenty going on in your life that will suffice. Surely don't know how you get by.

Cindi o'h

What a goofball message to leave on the machine! Maybe she's new. When they call back to tell you everything is just fine, you might let them know that...and spare the next person a weekend of wondering.

Let us know what turns out, but I just can't imagine it is anything wrong. Truth to be told, I'd be questioning myself too, though. Just our crazy human nature.

:) Kelly

Those kind of messages are tough. You have to ask yourself what they are thinking when they leave voice mail's like that.

I got one from the Doctor's office myself last week, following a round of blood tests. "Please call back as soon as possible." ?!?!?!? It was lunch time and I had to wait. By 1:00, I was all a-stew, only to be asked when I had last taken a B-12 pill.

I'm thinking only good things for you!

Kel

Thanks :) I am not jumping out of my skin worried, I am concerned more b/c we know the PA pretty well, her and my dad are so funny with each other, and she knows we are worry warts, so I would think she would not have sounded so nonchalant on the machine if it were important. But who knows :wink:

It was also pointed out, and duly noted, I am not a priority in that office, so he may not have had the time to review the labs.

Cindi--I dont think the tests were cancer related, I am not 100% sure what the tests were for. They are odd tests based on an autoimmune panel that I believe are more hematology related. He did make a comment that I might have to fix things before another round of in-vitro, but again< I dont know, and my mind wanders, what else could the tests have shown :) If I understood the tests and had a list, I could research, but I don't.

Just had to vent/share :) Our family hanukah party is tomorrow (i know, delayed), so i will be occupied

Andrea~

I can totally relate with your sensitivity to non-challant comments about test results. I do think that we, as caregivers and family members of those with cancer, have our "radars" set up x 1000 on every little health related thing anymore.

It doesn't sound like the nurse considered her words (or how they might be taken). My guess would be that due to the holidays, she was just letting you know that the doctor hadn't gotten around to reviewing it yet.

Andrea, it will all be just fine. these docs, even the great and sensitive ones, have no idea how their words sound to us. I am convinced of that. hope the party was great (we did ours early, pre-christmas) and you're relaxed and getting some answers today.

xoxo

amie

Andrea, don't you just love the way some people leave messages? I have been through this with my doctor and it seems to always happen on Friday and drive you crazy over the weekend. When it comes to any illness or test results, I think we always tend to worry about the worst. Maybe the doctors shouldn't even leave a message on Friday unless they have something definitive to tell you. They all tell us that stress can kill and to keep stress levels down, yet so many times the doctors contribute to this stress. Please let us know how you are doing? I just know everything will be A-O-K

Hi Andrea,

I was glad to see your post as I had a similiar thing happen. My doctor did blood work and the nurse called and said he wanted me to see my Moms oncologist asap. If you are paranoid, so am I. I have the appt on Thursday and whenever I think of it Im a wreck...Good luck for both of us...Janet

Andrea I would try not to worry or read hidden meanings into the message.

I'm not sure how your doctor works, but from what we've learned from our visits to 6 different hospitals plus Keith's 9 years working at the hospital, we found that the oncologists we met are not actually the ones who read and interpret the tests and their results. There is a whole separate group of technical physicians in the diagnositics and laboratories departments that actually read the results and then compile the reports and paperwork. So we've found that when our oncologist tells us that he hasn't fully analyized the data and reviewed the results, what he actually means is that he either hasn't received the document yet, or he just hasn't read it.

Either way, it means that he doesn't even have any information either good or bad, he is just behind on his duties. With all you've gone through it is hard not to assume the worst from every test, but I don't think you should worry so much before there is something concrete to worry about. I know easier said than done. Just try to put it out of your mind and enjoy today.

In the mean time, I will be praying for good results for your and your tests.

• 2 weeks later...