Getting to Know You....January 9

Ann

Flyers, Catalogs, Junk Mail.....something we all have to deal with. When you get these, do you look at them or just toss them immediately? Have you found any creative ways to stop this mail from coming to your mailbox?

Catalogues have become a very important part of my life.

Before I moved to rural VT - aka the back of beyond - I occasionally ordered from Lands End (now I can actually put together whole outfits) or LL Bean........I've turned into a junkie!

Please bear in mind that Costco and most other sources of civilization are at least an hour away ( VT is the only state WITHOUT a Target!!)

I now devour catalogues from cover to cover, I don't usually buy too much but this has become my idea of window shopping.

Soooo, when I leave VT I expect to go back to actually being able to touch things before I buy them.

I wonder what will come in the mail today?

Geri

For a while I was sending the ad back in the postage paid envelope they sent. I think if we all did that it may have some effect.

Catalogs - depends on my mood.

What drives me crazy are the postcard and heavy cardboard pages inside magazines. I open Readers Digest next to the trash can and throw those dam* things out.

I hate all that junk. I have my own way to deal with it although it's one of those situations where "you cut off your nose to spite your face" things. I have always had a mailbox where I grew up and the houses I've lived. when I moved 2 years ago I had to have a post office box. Which I hate, no make that double hate!!!! It so inconvenient to go way out of my way to stop there when I'm working 3 jobs.

So this is how I deal... I go to the post office once a month. My box is jammed every month including a nasty note from the "postmistress" telling me to clean out my mailbox. But I only have to deal with it once a month. I trash the real junk right there (the occupant stuff) and the rest I take home and go through everything that day. It takes a while but then I'm done till next month.

This is a huge pet peeve to me.. it is such a waste of time and money. I'd be happy if they just gave me my bills (okay I'd rather not have them but I accept them) and my Victoria Secret catalogs. Everything else they can keep!

I always look through the catalogs. I love to "window" shop and this lets me take care of my addiction without leaving home. Also, I sometimes get some very good craft ideas to use.

Let me tell you what I do with the rest. I save up the envelopes the junk mail comes in. Then, I randomly pick a piece of junk mail and stash in an envelope...any envelope. So...Capitol One may get something back from Sears....etc. It's almost like a game of revenge. These folks have to pay postage and just imagine how confused and pissed they must get.

I do the same thing as Ginny. If there is a postage paid envelope, I mail it back with as much paper as I can fit in it. Maybe if they have to pay for the junk coming back, they will quit sending it. I doubt it, but it's worth a try.

To not receive the credit card offers and anything else connected to your credit rating, call 1-888-567-8688. Follow the instructions. You can "opt out" for five years or forever.

I send back the offers in the postage-paid envelopes they send with the offer torn up inside so they KNOW who sent it. When I receive offers for our ex-wife (she NEVER lived in MY house), I drop a nasty little note with it. THAT is my biggest pet peeve, receiving credit card offers for the ex-wife at my brand-spankin' new address...