starting navelbine

Inkerdoodler

Jim had his visit today and there is progression of the size of the tumor and into the pleura. He is still hoarse and coughing and has chest pain and is taking Tylenol and oxycodone for pain. He started today on Navelbine. He will get these "fast" (less than an hour) infusions weekly for three weeks, then a week off - probably for 6 cycles. Next doctor visit in 2 weeks to see progress. They are saying this is less "toxic" in terms of side effects than other chemos. I would like to know other folks' experiences with Navelbine - side effects and successes!

Sandy

Sandy, I had Navelbine also. I did have good success with it but did stop working down the road. Did develop slight neuropathy in my (more of a nuisances/no pain or anything) hands and feet from it, take B6 for it and it does help. Overall I tolerated it well and it is less toxic. Hope this helps. Rich

Lucie, my wife, had Navelbine as her second chemo treatment and it was successful. She had very little side effects besides tiredness.

She has just completed a third chemo, which combined Gemzar with Navelbine. Again, the Navelbine seemed not to have many side effects. Don

They are starting Dad on Vinoralbine, too. Same as navelbine. So he will be on Gemzar and vinoralbine combo. I have to call them to find out why they switched...this is on the heels of carbo/taxol/pamidronate with one round of abraxane.

He had hospitalization two weeks ago where his red blood cells count plummetted this could be why the move off the taxane. oo that and the blood clot which is still in his arm pit. The ct scans 12/30 showed more shrinkage of tumor and nodules. so why the switch when there was response?

Looks like my dad and your Jim are in the same boat with the effusions. Dad had about a liter drained 12/30. Let us know how Jim is doing. We'll be cheer leaders for navelbine!

DEb was getting an injection of Lorazepam 2MG and Dexamethasone Sodium Phosphate1 Mg and an Injection of Ondansetron 1 Mg. These kept her pretty wewll balanced and Hungry too.

Sandy,

I will be praying that Jim does well with Navelbine. Mike was on it for a while and it was one of the mildest of all . He actually had some energy during it, but unfortunately it did not work for him. Don't be discouraged by whether it has worked or not worked with different ones. What works for one may not work for another. You will see that with every available treatment. God Bless.

Love,

Sue

Thanks to all for the cheerleading. They told us it was less toxic... just hope it works. He has had some neuropathy from the Taxol and Taxotere so this is not likely to be any worse. He is getting Aranespt to keep the red count up because he had depletion on Alimta. Getting Navelbine every week (3 on, one off) with scans in between to check progress. Chest pain continues... maybe pressure on nerves; horarseness continues (pressure on vocal cord). Kepp your fingers crossed... thanks for all responses and good thoughts!

Sandy