Charlie's Coughing His Head Off

tnmynatt

Charlie has been coughing much worse in the last few days. We saw his rad. onc. on Friday and he prescribed Tessalan Pearles to supplement the inhaler and cough medicine he was already on. It seemed to work really well on Friday night and Sat. On Sun. his cough seemed to get much worse and has continued today. When I got home from work I realized he had a runny nose--that maybe it is post nasal drip. He took a pain pill and I gave him sudafed for congestion. He just took another pain pill. He can only keep from coughing if he is sitting up. It doesn't seem to be a productive cough--he isn't coughing up anything--just coughing uncontrollably. Any advice or suggestions or observations? I even had him chew gum like Ry had suggested to someone awhile back.

I called and got him an appointment with the pulmonologist for Wed. afternoon. He is really miserable. Thanks for listening. Don't know what to think or do other than what we've already done.

Tina--Might want to ask the doctor about Hydromet (Hydrocodone W/ Homatropine Syrup) for the cough? Does not make one sleepy either. I had a bad cough for a couple of weeks and was surprised how fast it worked--tried over the counter, did not clear it up at all. My doctor did give me an X-ray to see if it was pneumonia and it was not. Just a thought. Hope this helps. Rich

Tina,

My brother Mark had the same cough as Charlie's..He was fine sitting up then when he tried to sleep it would keep him up all night..We thought of allergies, dust, pillow cases washed in Tide, etc..He told his Oncologist and was also given Hydromet,plus every other cough medicine there was.. Nothing helped him..We took him to the ER for XRays, he was developing pneumonia..Just a precaution, I would get Charlie to the Dr., or at least call him and tell him about this recent cough..

Hope this helps..

Donna

Tina...If I were you, I think I would get Charlie checked out rather than waiting for his appointment. First of all, it would give both of you some comfort from this nagging cough and second it could catch something else that might be going on...like pneumonia. Not to scare you but I do think I would have him checked out before Wednesday...just in case. I know you guys must have your heat on now. When I lived in Tennessee and had to use the heat it would always make the air very dry and I would cough a lot. Maybe you need a humidifier? Anyway...saying prayers and hoping for good news.

Thanks everyone! A special thanks to you, Katie for doing all the research for me. He is now running a fever of 100.5. I called and got his appointment moved up to this afternoon with the pulmonologist. The onc's office is going to check his blood, then he will get an x-ray, then see the pulm. Please keep your prayers going. I will be asking about the Hydromet and I'm sure they will give him antibiotics. Thanks again.

Tina,

I just saw this and I'm really glad you are getting Charlie checked out today. A cough in a cancer patient can be from so many things. I do hope you get some quick answers and solutions. I was going to suggest another possibility not on the list.. oh heck I'll throw it out there anyway...... Mike had a dry non productive cough due to pneumonitis (caused by radiation and or chemo) a while back.. but it was also accompanied by the sudden onset of shortness of breath. In that case high doses of prednisone are used to reduce inflammation and the cough slowly improved. Will be looking for your update and praying for a simple solution.

Love,

Sue

Just got home. The dr. is taking a shotgun approach, which is just fine with us. He gave him a steroid shot and a prescription for prednisone along with antibiotics and allergy medicine. On my way to the pharmacy now. Talk later. Thanks for all the support and prayers! You'll are the greatest!

Hi Tina..

Like the shotgun approach. Not messing around.

Yep. Could be so much with us... including effusion or even congestive heart failure. Trust me, I learned the hard way. If it still does not clear up, be persistant.

I am, unfortunately, experienced beyond belief in this department.

Cindi o'h

Cindi,

The dr. is very thorough. He said it could even be an Ace inhibitor he is on for blood pressure. Not likely with him having been on it a long time...but, he wants to cut it out next if he is still having problems. You never know with all the meds., infections, cancer, etc. Sorry you have to know so much about it. Is your R. T. making a difference yet?

Thanks, Tina.

Hoping that it is one of the three that Charlie is going through. If he isn't better, I know that you will go back for advice.

Yes. I the pulm. rehab. seems to be helping. I think I will start a thread on this. I wish I would have known that this was possible 3 years ago. I don't think that I would have deteriorated as much as I have if I had gone through this program back then.

Best of luck, you'll.

How is that college girl doing???

love, Cindi o'h