Hospital Beds, etc...

Fay A.

You do not need to go through Hospice to obtain a Hospital Bed, wheelchair, etc. If your doctor will write an order for one you can get one through a medical supply company, and medical insurance usually covers the costs. For me the hospital bed ran about $200 a month with my insurance picking up 75% of that. Same thing holds true for wheelchairs, portable toilets, nebulizers, etc.

The medical suppliers deliver and set up the bed/equipment, and pick it up when it is no longer needed. They also handle maintenance of the equipment in the event of equipment failure.

Just thought you might like to know that you can actually do this stuff yourself.

Lori, I'd talk to a social worker in the hospital ASAP. Let him or her know about the problems your mom was facing with her husband. She may need to go to a rehab facility for a while. The social worker can help make sure your mom gets the assistance most appropriate for the reality of her home.

--edited to add--

Also, just wanted to say that there are resources in many communities to help with durable medical goods. After my mom passed away, the goods which were not returnable (commode, shower chair, mattress pad for hospital bed) were donated by my dad to a local senior resource center.

Lori,

Please do as Jen suggested and contact the social worker at the hospital where your Mom is now a patient. I, too, have serious reservations about the kind of care she will receive if she returns to her house. I truly believe that her best interests will be better served if she is allowed to recuperate for a time in a rehab facility.

Rules and regulations governing home care, insurance coverage differ from state to state. There are programs available here in California that may not be available where you are, and vice versa. Start looking at what is available NOW before she is ready to be discharged. But, truly, Lori, check into the rehab centers first. I have serious reservations based upon the things you've written here when I think of her going back to live under your SF's "care". It will be much too easy for others to say she is mentally confused from the surgery and brain mets if she makes claims that he is mistreating her.

prayers to you both.

Lori--

There should be a discharge plan for your mom when she is ready to be discharged. Most hospitals employ a discharge planner to make sure the patient has what they need when they leave. You need to be honest with the planner and let them know exactly what your mom's support system is. Many times if the facility thinks the patient has involved family--they assume the family will provide what's needed.

When my mom shattered her shoulder and was about to be released from the hospital I asked for a discharge planner to come see her. Once I explained to her that I was an only child with 3 kids and a husband with cancer, she made sure she left with orders for bath services, PT etc.

Lori,

After Alan was in the hospital for a month, the hospital would not release him until all his in home care was confirmed. I had all the oxygen, wheelchair, Medication, nurse and home physical therapy all approved and confirmed by a hospital social worker before they would let Alan come home.

Hope this helps.