Getting to Know You - January 13 - Friday the 13th

Ann

Since it's Friday, the 13th, I think it's probably appropriate to talk about superstitions. Are you a superstitious person? If so, what things really catch your attention? Ladders, black cats, full moons....let us know. If you are superstitious, why?

I am superstitious... ladders, mirrors, dropping utensils etc.

FYI. Today would have been my moms 95th birthday. She was born on a Friday also... Certainly was lucky for her. Lived until 94 and was bascially a healthy lady. Miss her.

Happy birthday Mommy..

Maryanne

I would have to say that all the superstitious things always pop in my head when they happen. I thought yesterday was a rough day at the office but when it hit me that today was Friday the 13th, I shuddered to think how bad it might get...lol! I never walk under ladders but maybe because I'm afraid they may fall on me. I can definitely tell you there is something strange that makes people crazy on full moons. My best friend's hubby is a retired police officer and it's factual that full moon nights bring out the crazy folks!!!

I am at my most superstitious when it comes to sports. never leave a game early if I am in attendance, never say "perfect game" out loud while a pitcher is still on the mound, hat inside out when you need a rally, and so on.

when 9/11 pushed the baseball season into Nov., I was at Yankee stadium for the miraculous Halloween game, 10/31/01. it being Hallowee, I bought some bunny ears and stuck them through one of my Yankee hats. picture a normal, navy blue baseball hat with pink and white fuzzy ears. anyway, I still wear that hat to playoff games, cause it sure worked that night (thank you, Tino Martinez). I have to point the ears down, though, or the people behind me complaint that they can't see. :lol:

I also throw salt over my shoulder without realizing it, and recently stopped putting my purse on the floor b/c I heard it makes the money 'run out'. :roll: I need all the help I can get.

Amie...thanks for reminding me about the sports superstitions. dennis used to be really big on this one. He loved the Dolphins and always had to have a sandwich and a beer whenever they were playing. If for some reason, he missed being glued to the tv...beer and sandwich in hand....he would blame himself for their loss...lol! So, there's only one thing to do before Sunday. I have to buy lots of beer and sandwich fixins to have while I cheer my Colts to victory!

I am not supersticious per say but with all of this sports talk, I have to tell you about my hubby - the soccer coach - I won't get into all of them because there are many (I think coaches are probably the most supersticious people around) but his big one is me - if his team qualifies, I am not allowed to go to the state quarterfinals because they have always lost when I am there and won when I am not. He got so much flack about it this year that he almost let me go but at the last minute said no - and they won and even went on to win the state championship so I don't complain too much!

Today is also my Daddy's birthday - also born on Friday the 13th - Happy 76th Big Guy!!!!

Not only am I superstitous, I have my bull-headed Dad convinced. A few years ago, we were sitting at his kitchen table and he began to brag how he hadn't been stung by a wasp all summer. I shook my head and told him to knock on wood. He refused, told me that superstitions are a bunch of crap and opened the door to get the dog dish. No sooner was the door open before a wasp swooped in and stung him on his forehead.

I try to avoid saying stupid things that require a knock, but my dad isn't as sharp. After the oncology appt when the doc declared him NED, he walked to the reception area and with arms outstretched said, "that just seemed too easy!" An evil glance was all it took before he was searching for wood.

Katie, not touching your cards is 'card etiquette' in case of a misdeal.

I really am not superstitiuos but do throw the salt, not walk under ladders etc. but don't go ballistic if I don't do these things.

So far, Fri, the 13th has been a fine day for me and I hope for everyone else.

I am very superstitious especially when it comes to

sports.

I put on my hockey gear the same way every game.

If we are in a tournament and winning, well the same

T'shirt is worn until we loose (as we are all that way on my team, the locker room can get pretty smelly) :roll:

If Notre Dame is playing well I will under no circumstances change positions. (this caused extreme pain at times) :?

Never pick up a penny that is Tails up!!!

that is just a short list. My whole family is this way :oops:

My first thought was - no I'm not superstitious, but then I started reading and realized that I knock on wood, throw salt and don't put new shoes on a table etc.

There are probably a lot more things I do and one thing I've said on numerous occasions is that I'll not tempt fate!

Soooooo, I guess the answer is yes I am superstitious.

Geri

I'm not too superstitious, but am "careful". Walking under a ladder is dumb. I stop for a black cat (or any cat) in my path because it's probably chasing a mouse. I DO "knock on wood", but a lot of the "wood" is formica or particle board so I don't think it really counts.

Wore the same tie-dyed shirt for all scans for the first two years, helped the techs recognize me as a problem patient (I'm a hard stick)... If it weren't for the fact that I have to go to work around scans, I'd still be wearing it for all of 'em. It's also my favorite shirt, I wore it to the Michigan Bash...

I guess I would have to say yes and no. I don't let superstitions keep me from things but I believe in them just enough so they won't want to prove me wrong :!:

A few years ago I actually felt the same way about people being with us after they died. Now I look and hope for that so I guess I am a very mixed up person :!:

I am definately supersticious. Full moons bring in the crazies to the ER, and this sounds bad, but the nurses here might agree with me; if one person dies in the hospital then usually two more will within a few days. Everything happens in threes. You get one bad patient and there will be 2 more to follow.

I cross out black cats that cross my path; which is really silly since I HAVE a all black cat!! :shock: