I'm impressed!!

Debi

I wrote my congressman about a month or so ago..I used a form letter that someone had posted here and changed it a bit, adding my personal connection with lung cancer onto it.

I sent it to him and about a week later got a canned response..."thank you for contacting Congressman so and so...blah, blah, blah!!" Oh well, I thought, I tried.

Well, today I got an actual response from the Congressman himself who commented on my personal story and added:

I agree with you that we must do everything possible to protect our

citizens from the horrible effects of lung cancer. It is certainly

surprising that such a smaller percentage of funding for research is

devoted to lung cancer as compared to breast cancer. I will look into

this matter, and as Congress debates the funding levels for cancer

research in Fiscal Year 2004, I will certainly keep your thoughts in mind.

Wow..he actually READ what was in the letter!! I'm impressed!! THis is neat...I have a new pen pal now! :lol: I'll have to send him some Lung Cancer facts and trivia next!! I'll wait a bit so I don't look like a stalker!

Debi

46 years old

Stage 1A, Upper & Mid lobe removed June 16, 2003

Way to go girl!! :D Great work! Maybe you could send him your picture holding that baby and he would put a face to it! I see a lot of people testifying to congress about their concerns . On the news recently here a teenager who has dealt with juvinile diabetes since the age of three, wanting congress to vote for their special interest. Perhaps one day one of us with go to DC and speak on behalf of lung cancer victims. O , I continue to dream . :roll: Donna

Hey Deb, GREAT JOB!!! :):):)

I sent out 4 last month and only got the standard thank you back. It's nice when you get that kind of response.

again, great job-

God bless and stay well

Bobmc- stage IIB- left pneumonectomy - 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

Every letter that goes to our Reps in DC, plants a seed. We don't need a forest, we need a jungle. The more Congress becomes aware of our plight, the more money will be allocated towards research throught the National Cancer Institute. Every one should write a letter. Keep it short, to the point, and it will get results. Our noise, right now, are emails, and our pens. It works. Just ask the Breast Cancer People, just ask the AIDS people. We have over 500 members, if all 500 wrote, I would care to bet we would get close to 100% of the Congressioional Representatives would get a letter. I have written, I have the phone number of my representative, and I am known by name in her Washington Office and her home Office. Just remember to keep the letter limited to 4-5 paragraphs, on one page.