Lucie Update 01/18

Don Wood

We went to the oncologist today to get the report on last week's PET scan. Bad news: little change (no improvement). Good news: little change (no progression). Because she has a large tumor on her liver (she has no symptoms from it), the onc wants to start a new chemo. He is going to give her two weeks more to rest up.

In two weeks, she will start Alimta, and continue that every three weeks. She will also have to take B-12 shots and folic acid to counteract side effects.

For those of you who have experience with Alimta, would appreciate knowing side effects and effectiveness for your case.

Lucie is disappointed, but accepting of the circumstances we find ourselves in. I am glad the lc has not progressed. Don

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So happy to hear there is no progression, Don and Lucie. No experience here with that particular drug but I know you will get lots of great answers. I'm saying prayers that Lucie tolerates the new treatment well.

Don and Lucie,

Don't you just hate those 'good news - bad news' reports? So happy about the good. So sorry about the bad.

Lucie has been such a trooper. I am disappointed for her to have to go through yet more chemo. I know she can do it. That's not the point. You guys are so awesome. You need to catch a break big time.

I don't know about the chemo effects. I will hope and pray she has a gentle time with it.

Kasey

A relief to hear "no progression". Ken only had 2 rounds of Alimta and I don't remember him having any bad side effects. He even drove our motorhome from FL to WY by himself during his treatment with Alimta. I hope the new treatment does the trick, sending good thoughts and prayers.

Karen H

Don and Lucie,

Sounds like good news to me. Little to no progression falls within the realm of stable to me.

I did the Alimta thing earlier this year and it wasn't too bad after the 1st 4 rounds. I also had it every three weeks. Just the normal tiredness, little SOB, slight soreness in the mouth and the usual stomach nausea and acid reflux. I had a 30% reduction of the main lung mass after the 4th round. The original intent was to have only four but was encouraged to continue to see if there would be further reduction. Took two more rounds, side effects got noticably worse and no more reduction so they stopped it. Remained stable for the next six months. All in all, wasn't bad. Would do it again in a minute. Good luck with it Lucie. God Bless.

CharlieD

It is great that there is no progression. I can imagine how difficult it must be to have to start chemo again. I am sure this is difficult to deal with for both of you. We have not had to start chemo again yet, but I expect that when Mike sees the doctor on Feb. 3rd, we will be doing more chemo too. He has a CT next week.

We don't have any experience with that chemo yet. We will be praying for both of you. Stay strong!

Kim

Don,

Always mixed emotions with those good news/bad news appointments. I am glad there is no progression.

Alan did not have Alimta so I have nothing to add there.

The both of you are in my prayers. Lucie you keep fighting and with Don's love and support I know you will win this next battle.

Joining late to the Lucie and Don love fest.

Don and Lucie please know you are both in my thoughts and prayers. Hey, no progression...that works for me. I'd hate hearing that too...espcially since I long so much to hear words like "cancer obliterated" "NED" and "remission".

I hope the alimta brings those words toward our dear Lucie.

The way things are going round here....we could use some good news.