A very long overdue update...

Ry

Ry,

I don't think I even have to say that I'm rooting for the two of you... you know I have been, since the day I came to the board -

Anyway, John has seemed to respond pretty well in the past and odds are, he will do well now with the Alimta. I wish the two of you the best, as always.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John and Rochelle,

Gee, this news is not what any of us wanted to hear. John has been doing so well. Now its alimta's turn to do its number on those cancer cells. You have my prayers and thoughts.

John I hope you feel stronger and that cough gets better quickly.

Nina

Rochelle and John, when I saw the post in this forum I was sure you were flying off to Paris for a long weekend, certainly not this news.

John has always seemed to respond well to chemo, may this time be no different.

You know that I will include you both and your children in my prayers.

So sorry to hear that John must go back to chemo. Hopefully the Alimta will be the right drug to knock this cancer down. You might want to ask the Doctor about adding Avastin with the Alimta. My Dad had that combination. Avastin is approved for lung cancer. I will be praying for you both.

Denise

Ry, so sorry to hear this news. Hopefully, the Alimta will get him back to stable really quick. Have you ever checked into cyberknife? I know they say they can treat areas that have already had the maximum dose of radiation. However, location could be a problem. Since he responded to the Tarceva for such a long time I hope this means he will also respond to the Alimta. Praying for both of you.

Karen h

Ry,

I don't know how I missed this before. I never can find the words to express how I feel when this damn disease delivers another blow to someone we love. I pray the Alimta works for John. It kept Mike stable for quite a while. The problem he had was he developed pneumonitis, but he had quite a few treatments.. 6. Overall it did a good job of stabilizing him and the main side affect was fatigue . I was wondering about the vena cava. Have the doctor's considered putting a stent in? Mike was so swollen in his upper body, face, arms etc plus he had prominent veins all across his upper abdomen when he had a vena cava crisis . The doctor put in a stent, actually two overlapping which rapidly corrected the situation. That was done in August 04 and he hasn't had a problem with it since. Yes, he did also have 10 radiation follow up treatments. Just know you are in our thoughts and prayers .

Love,

Sue

Thanks for all the well wishes and information on Alimta. We had the appointment with the chemo nurse on Friday. She gave us all the information on Alimta, a thermometer so John can check for fever daily, and started him on the B-12 shot. We decided to stay on the Friday schedule because that's an easier day for me to get off work--so instead of the 30th, he will start the Alimta on the 27th, then we'll see the doctor on the 30th. The nurses were all very positive about Alimta and said most patients handle it very well. I'll let you know how it goes.