Cold showers

SBeth

I spent several hours yesterday helping pack some stuff at Bill's mother's home. It was very difficult to be packing up her belongings and seeing so many childhood pictures of Bill, especially when I'm still unable to remove anything from our home that reminds me of Bill. His toothbrush, deodorant, body wash, razor...everything is still in our bathroom exactly as it was 6 weeks ago. Anyway, I awake this morning to find that I have no hot water. More importantly, I have no idea why I have no hot water, nor what to do about it. I head down to the basement where all the "man-stuff" for the house is...furnace, pipes, hot water heater, circuits. Everything looks fine, but what do I know? I end up taking a cold shower, cried for an hour as I got ready for work, came into the office, where I'm still crying about my hot water heater. This would be no big deal if Bill were here. He'd know what to check, what to do, who to call, how much it would/could/should cost. I don't want to know these things, I don't want to have to take care of these things. I just want him back to take care of me.

Thanks for listening to me and letting me cry for a little more.

Hi Beth,

Sorry you are having a rough time. I know how you feel. For the last 2 years I have been trying to teach my wife a few things that would help her should something happen to me. I have tried to show her how I do things like the checkbook and my pattern of paying bills etc. I am making her use the computer for thing rather then me doing them for her. I watch her of course.

Hang in there and things will get better. It may seem impossible to you but they will get better in time. Think of you right now and try to take care of yourself. :)

(((((((Beth))))))))))

I care so much, Beth.

Love

P

PS one of Brian's beloved critters missed him badly enough to chew holes in the screen that is in front of the basement window and wedge his tiny body between them..............I looked like an episode of I Love Lucy trying to deal w/ that..........Where was Ethel when I needed her?

Our Jeep is 12 years old..........we were choosing another car when..................

Where are the light bulbs that fit our outside lights?

Where is the tape measure?

Where is the renewal form for the Dakota plates?

Where are the '56 chevy disks I made?

What shall I do w/ a beautiful suit and new top coat?

Shall I keep the house?

Who will love the '56?

I really get it, Beth, I am crying with you.

It sux.

Love

P

I'm sorry Beth....

My parents lived in the same house for 45 years. Yes, stuff went wrong now and then but there was usually a quick fix to whatever the problem was. It seems that as soon as my Dad passed away, everything imaginable has gone wrong with that house...roof leaks, furnace problems, hot water heater problems, deep freeze fritzing and all the food lost, garage door opener breaking and on and on.....and my poor Mom has just been at her wit's end so many times and we've cried together because we feel helpless in those situations and the grief hits us full force each time. How much we want my Dad back!! I just wanted you to know that I can relate and please know that you'll be in my prayers.

Kris

Beth, my water heater went kaflooey on a freezing cold January morning just as I as driving Earl to chemo. I can remember standing outside Fox Chase Cancer Center on my cell fighting with Sears and Home Depot to get a new water heater installed asap.

Earl was like Bill, he took very good care of me. It is very hard figuring out how to do all the 'man' stuff. Beth, with each little bump in the road, you will get stronger and more capable. It just happens without even realizing it.

We have a small but powerful group of widows here and we will help hold each other up. Not the sorority we wanted to join, but it is a wonderful group of caring women.

Hope your water problem has been solved easily and cheaply.

Oh Beth, crum-bum on the water heater! Ginny is right about our club....now, if we could just figure out how to publish the 'how to do the things they did for us' book...... I have had the tape measure stuck in a groove against the garage wall, which meant I was okay if I just wanted to keep measuring the same spot over and over.......then, my sister visited, pulled it right out. I had tugged on it for days.

I hope you have some other 'handy men' in your life that you can call for advice. If not, heck, try us. Perhaps we've been there. I hope the water is hot now????

Thinking of you Beth,

Lynne

Putting things away is always hard. As for the water heater it seems we are destined to do things that we never thought about before. Let your head clear then decide who to call and have it checked. Maybe a neighbor can check it for you. If it is shot call and have it replaced. Cold shower wow you are brave!

Since Mike has died, I also had the water heater go out, my refrig had to be replaced and I had car troubles. :( All I was able to take care of with phones calls, frustation and alot of fricking tears! And I even swore at Mike a couple times, looking at the sky, as I did it! I also never had to worry about these things. I hate this. But, all these things can be fixed...I wish our husbands could have been fixed and were still with us...... Love you all, Nancy C

Beth,

I have to ditto what others have said since their husbands have passed. I was lucky that I knew how to do alot of those things already. My dad passed alot of that kind of information on to me when I was young because I always wanted to know how things worked. Randy was mechanically challanged in alot of areas so we called my dad alot about things. :)

But still there were things I did not have a clue on. I did buy some home repair books though that have helped so much. I would suggest that to anyone.

It empowered me to try and sometimes have success in fixing things.

I wish you better days ahead and hope you have hot water too. None like taking a hot shower.

Shirleyb