TAnn update

TAnn

Thank you to everyone for all the love and support. As usual, I've been overwhelmed by the kind words and offerings of support from all my friends here.

Well, my doctor is finally back from "baby leave" and we met with him on Wednesday. I've decided not to go for a phase I trial, for many reasons.

I'm starting a new chemo tomorrow. Gemzar/Carboplatin. I'll have the Gemzar and Carbo, then in 1 week just the Gemzar and 1 week off, then start all over again.

The pain in my abdomen from the new spread is giving me fits. I went to the pain management department yesterday and they put me on Methadone. 2.5mg twice a day. I started it last night and it didn't even touch the pain. I'm a difficult patient to treat because so many of the narcotic meds either don't work or they make me sick! I took my dose this morning and waited about 2 1/2 hours and then went ahead and took my old reliable Advil Liquigels. That at least took the edge off the pain.

Sometimes I wonder how we are expected to take all this torture. :(

My hope is that the chemo will at least reduce the fluid in my "belly" and help with the pain. The pain center said the next step would be to have a "nerve block". At this point, I'm willing to try anything.

I'm nervous about this chemo, please keep your fingers and toes crossed for me....

TAnn

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lot's of prayers and well wishes. I pray the new chemo will destroy all the bad guys and you'll be on the road to recovery and healing.

It's amazing how OTC meds seem to work better than the scripts. The Advil worked for the pain in my legs. Hmmm, what is going on. Support of the drug companies, lol Glad it has helped your pain. Please keep us posted, you were missed...

Karen

Terri,

Really sorry to hear about all the pain. Is it from the fluid? I agree to do whatever it takes to relieve the pain. The rest we are just about used to tolerating.

I had the Gemzar/Carbo first go around. Wasn't as bad as the Alimta. It helped the fluid around the pleura and casused some shrinkage. Kept me stable which is what we want. Keep the chin up and good luck with it. God Bless.

CharlieD

I hope you get some relief.

My mom was on Carbo/Gemzar and tolerated it very well. My understanding is that it is supposed to be "gentler" on the body than other chemos. I believe it was chosen for my mom b/c she is fluffy and diabetic and the dr wanted to make sure her body could tolerate chemo and the combo did the trick.

TAnn - good luck. My dad had both plus a third one as part of a Phase II trial. He tolerated all very well. Occassionally a feeling of unease on Sats (treatment was Weds maybe ?) but otherwise felt pretty good (see the sig).

If I remember correctly he would have been as Group 3 from http://www.cancer.gov/search/ViewClinic ... id=2061798

"Patients will be randomly assigned to one of three groups. Patients in group one will receive an infusion of gemcitabine on days 1 and 8. They will also receive an infusion of carboplatin on day 1. Patients in group two will receive gemcitabine as in group one and a 3-hour infusion of paclitaxel on day 1. Patients in group three will receive paclitaxel as in group two and carboplatin as in group one. Treatment in all groups may be repeated every 3 weeks for up to six courses. Quality of life will be assessed periodically. Patients will be evaluated every 3 months."

Paula

TAnn,

You have many prayers for this regimen to be effective and quick...quick with some pain relief. You are awesome, TAnn, a true example of how to battle this beast. I have prayers also that this time you catch a much needed break and can feel a bit better and gain some on this disease. I hope you will believe that you will thought of and prayed for every day. I am sorry you must gear up for this again.

Kasey

The pain in my abdomen from the new spread is giving me fits. I went to the pain management department yesterday and they put me on Methadone. 2.5mg twice a day. I started it last night and it didn't even touch the pain. I'm a difficult patient to treat because so many of the narcotic meds either don't work or they make me sick! I took my dose this morning and waited about 2 1/2 hours and then went ahead and took my old reliable Advil Liquigels. That at least took the edge off the pain.

Sometimes I wonder how we are expected to take all this torture. :(

My hope is that the chemo will at least reduce the fluid in my "belly" and help with the pain. The pain center said the next step would be to have a "nerve block". At this point, I'm willing to try anything.

TAnn

I'm very sorry to read about your setback. I have a couple of suggestions re: your viscera pain. I'd urge you to request a consult with a hospital-based clinical pharmacist. The pain management dept. may have a clinical pharmacist on staff which would be even better. Explain your situation and maybe he or she can sort this out and get you some better pain relief. Advil and related products usually are ineffective against viscera pain and deep soft tissue pain generally speaking. The fact that this isn't so in your case, along with the poor response with narcotics, would be important to discuss with a drug expert such as an experienced clinical pharmacist. There are several combination products to consider and, if necessary, a specialty prescription product can be compounded for you. Also, some narcotic analgesics cause less gastrointestinal side effects than others. That would seem to be an important consideration in your case. Have you tried Demerol alone or in combo ?

Good luck.