Question for Girl's Only

-Cheryl-

Ladies,

I was told by my doctor that I would go through menopause because of the chemo, atleast temporarily. Has anyone else out there continued to have regular cycles. I have only done 12 chemos over 5 weeks......What does the future look like? No let up in Mother Nature yet!

Cheryl

Cheryl,

I missed my first cycle in July, though I had Cisplatin and VP-16 in March and April. I don't know if it was a delayed reaction or it the Taxotere I had in June and July actually did it. Anyway, now I am having hot flashes along with my mom. The oncologist still says that given my age it is likely it will be temprary.

Becky

I had 6 weekly doses of Taxotere/Carboplatin -- my doc told me that it SHOULDN'T effect my firtility -- the only problem I had at the time was 3 weeks into it when my period should have come and was about a week late. When I finally got it, I had the worst cramps I've had in my life and had a VERY heavy flow. I actually got concerned after the first 3 days because I thought I was hemmoraging. My OBGYN said it was probably the chemo that wacked out my regular cycle and caused it to be so heavy. By the next cycle, I was back to normal, but I really only had chemo treatments during ONE monthly cycle.

This is a little off topic, but since this is a post we women will look at I wanted to ask how many of you have had your tumor tested for Estrogen Receptors? The reason being that there are trials going on using Herceptin along with some of the EGFRI in lung cancers, and this may be a promising new treatment for those who test positive for Estrogen Receptors.

I had chemo from Dec. 2000 through July 2001. I had only one period during that time. I haven't had any periods since then. I am 51 and that may make a difference. But my onc. told me the chemo would screw up my hormones and I probably wouldn't have any more periods. :D

I skipped one during treatments, and at age 41, the doc said that's probably gonna be the onset of menopause for me.......

Well, the next one (still on treatments) was a little late, but did come, and it's been back to normal ever since - go figure.

SandyS