Nose hurts, but hopeful

beckyg

Well, I have been on Iressa three weeks now and my nose is pretty broken out. My scalp is tender, but I have grown enough fuzz since May that I can't see a rash. I have noticed that my cough is dryer than it has been in months--that's harder on my throat thn the juicy cough I have had for so long, but maybe it means the Iressa is working. I have had a mild pleural effusion at least since June (never more than about a cup of fluid in there--not enough to drain, but it did have cancer cells in it when they sampled it.)

I am also fighting a bladder infection. It's been years since I had one and I had almost forgotten how unpleasant they can be. But I am off the oxygen and might well come off the steroids next week when I see the oncologist. I know plenty of people here take way more medications than I do, but I have been taking 6 different drugs at night lately. My medicine cabinet looks like a pharmacy to me. Every drug off the list is a little victory for me.

Thinking of you all,

Becky

Wow...I just realized that you and I were pretty much diagnosed the same week, at the same stage; and we are virtually the same age and lifelong non smokers. Amazing (in a sad sort of way)

I know what you mean about having a pharmacy in your cabinet, that was how I felt after my surgery and during radiation/chemo. It was a feeling of victory, of sorts, to get rid of the Oxycodine, Motrin, Ibiprophen, stool softeners, "magic mouthwash"....and the list goes on.

Now my medicine cabinet is full of 10 different supplements -- but I don't mind taking them as much!!! :D

Keep that positive attitude and I will be keeping you in my thoughts!

Heather

Becky,

I am so thrilled you are feeling a little better and off of some of those meds. I pray everyday for you. All you young people with this terrible desease makes my heart sad. I look at your picture with your little one and can't wait until you post, in the not to distant future, that you are feeling great and getting on with your life. God Bless Becky.....

Cheryl,

The complication was that the surgeon nicked an artery while doing the biopsy. He was unable to stop the bleeding by cauterizing, so he cracked open my sternum in order to stop the bleeding. So I have the big scar like someone who had heart surgery; I had the recovery from surgery which had no benefit to me; and I had to wait four more weeks to start treatment. (I know these things happen, and it could have happened to anyone, but I am still feeling hostility about the whole experience. Oh well.)

Becky

I hope they didn't charge you for the extended stay due to cracking your sternum because of a surgery mishap. These things do happen, and the surgeon is not necessarily a bad guy, but it stinks that you had to have a major operation for no benefit!

Glad to hear your fuzz is coming back in. Let us know if your new hair is better than the old. After my sister's chemo, she grew curly hair! And she loves it! Didn't eliminate the gray, however. :)

I hope the rash improves soon. And that the Iressa does its job!