Longtime lurker, it's time I introduced myself

chloesmom

Hi all,

Been watching this board since the first hints started coming along that I may have a big, big problem. I was asymptomatic and was only in my surgeon's office for a two year follow-up on my breast cancer when he suggested a chest x-ray, just because I was a smoker and it had been two years since I had a chest x-ray. With that all the bad things started.

Had surgery on 6/20, left upper lobe removed. Not fun, but I recovered remarkably well. Was back to work in about 2 1/2 weeks.

Today I started chemo--I am a Stage 1B who is electing to get the chemo--I really need to know that I am doing everything I can to keep this away from me.

Hated to do it as I am feeling so fantastic right now, it seems a shame to do something to make myself sick, but anyway.....

Getting cisplatin and gemzar on week 1, gemzar only on week 2 and 3, then off a week. That is, if all my blood counts stay good.

Am wondering and would like to hear from other early stagers their feelings about chemo? I saw two oncs who both recommended it.

I am not so early as you. My plan from the beginning was to have chemo and radiation. Now I feel perhaps I was fortunate. The more I learn the more I feel that way. They say that 40 % of Stage I will have cancer return . To me that is too high especially where most of us have no early signs or warnings. The Oncs recently decided those stats were not comfortable to recommend no further treatment. Recently they have recommended chemo for Stage I. There are some doctors working on better diagnostic tools to detect micrometastasis but that work is still going on. So in the mean time------- perhaps it is better to be safe

Hello chloesmom; my best to ya and welcome' :):)

I was stage IIB, they took my left lung 27 months ago. I had no followup chemo as it was not recommended at that time. Now it is and if the current data was available 27 months ago, I would do exactly what you are. Ya just gotta give yourself every chance. Glad your here and that your doing well! :):)

God bless and stay well

Bobmc- NSCLC-stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

Howdy and welcome!

I'm a stage IIa, and I agree whole-heartedly with Bobmc...I would DEFINITELY go for the chemo were it offered me (which it wasn't when I had my surgery...I even got a second opinion on it at the time).

When all is said and done, no matter the outcome, you want to know you have done everything possible and not be saying to yourself "If only...".

Best of continued good progress to you!

Had first cisplatin/gemzar chemo treatment Thursday. Felt great Friday. Sat morning woke up with flu-like symptoms (tired, achy, nauseated, etc) :(

Same thing on Sunday even with the anti-nausea meds, which i had faithfully been taking since the treatment. Spent weekend alternating between bed and couch with poor husband trying to do anything he could to help, but it just has to go away, I guess.

Better today--hope it's not like this every week, but if it's for the greater good, it will pass.

Choloesmom, I am glad that you have decided to no longer just lurk, and become a part of this wonderful family. I think that I would probably do the same as you have chosen-give your body the extra boost from chemo, just in case even just one cancer cell is roaming around. Seeing as you are in such good health, the chemo may not have as bad side effects as it would on someone whose health is more compromised. I know that you said you felt sick on Sat, might I make a suggestion?

My dad was diagnosed stage 4 NSCLC in Jan 2002-believe it or not-he was also asymptomatic, but had extensive spread of the cancer to his spine and in both lungs, making his case more severe than you would have believed at the time.

Anyway, after some research that my sister and I did, Dad got Maitake mushroom tablets from the local nutrition store (it is supposed to aid against the side effects of the chemo (he had carpo/taxol as a first line of treatment). He never had the nausea associated with his treatment and he really felt 'great'. He also added flax seed to his diet-sprinkled it on his cereal every day, and ate alot of blueberries! I have to say that he got through the chemo with barely any side effects at all. Just the fatigue, but his appetite was great and he was able to really go on with life as usual.

Just wanted to share this with you. I hope that you find as time goes on that you feel better and better. My mom was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in April, and though they believe they "got it all" opted for chemo for good measure-which was a smart move. It is worth it. As the others said, you must give yourself every chance...and don't give the cancer a smidge of a chance!!!!

Take care, and keep us posted! Deb