My mom passed away

Remembering Dave

Dear Karen,

I am so sorry you lost your mom. It's been a really tough year, hasn't it? I am glad we got to hear from you, but I sure wish the circumstances were different.

I hope your little beauty, Faith, is getting along well and that things are going better for her in school now.

God bless you, Karen, and take care of yourself.

Love,

Peggy

One of our good neighbors out on the river - where I moved from after Dave died - dropped dead of a heart attack on Friday morning, on his 48th birthday. We weren't that close to him but knew him well and he dropped in to see Dave every now and then - he was a big fisherman and promised to take Dave out on his boat he kept on the outer banks after Dave got better - which never happened. He was a very popular middle school agriculture and shop teacher and was on our county's board of supervisors. Had two sweet teenage daughters and a wonderful, sweet, almost shy wife. Her mother died the same week as Dave, then her husband dies the same week as my mother. I called her and we just cried and cried. I went to his memorial service but only got to speak to them for a minute, there were hundreds of people there. what a wonderful family, and now Gene is gone, just like that. I'm almost afraid of who is going to go next.

Hey. We're Ok. It's REALLY hard. I feel bad for my Dad. he's a mixture of defiance (finally, after 49 years, I can put a six pack in my fridge, he says!) (my mom HATED drinking) and a mixture of sorrow, he breaks down and crys over how nicely Mom would sit on the couch and read books to Faith when she couldn't do anything else. He went to Pittsburgh to a family funeral (no one close, but I think he liked the excuse to get out of town) and I missed him so much yesterday, after spending every day with him lately and talking talking talking, all of a sudden I felt so ALONE. Here I go again, after not being able to pick up the phone and tell Dave something, the last couple of weeks I haven't been able to pick up the phone and tell my mom something, and then for one day or two I can't just pick up the phone and call my Dad (well, I can call his cell, but he's conservative with his minutes). I cried to my friend Roger (he was dave's best friend, how he's MY friend) and he was busy but sent Laura (his 16 year old daughter, she's like my second child) over to spend the night so I wouldn't feel lonely. They are going to take my dad and I out for my birthday next week, even getting rog's mom to babysit Faith so we can have a nice "adult" dinner out. rog and my dad are now each other's biggest fans for some reason. rog sang at my mom's funeral and my dad thought it was awesome, rog thinks my dad is the coolest cat around especially for a 76 year old. anyway, we're struggling, but we'll be OK I guess. I helped my dad get all of my mom's clothes and stuff to Goodwill on monday and tuesday, and it felt weird, everything was so familiar but it looked cheap and worn but when my mom wore the clothes they just looked nice on her. when a person leaves this world, nothing material can help, it's memories and legacies that are important, that's for sure. even the clothing seems empty

well, 'nuff rambling.

Karen

Dennie, Elizabeth Withrow

Elizabeth Withrow Dennie, 73, passed away at home in Glen Allen, Va., on January 25, 2006, after a courageous battle with colon cancer. She is survived by her husband of 49 years, Vincent; three children, David Dennie of Norfolk, Va., Karen Dennie Chapman of Mechanicsville, Va., and Joseph Dennie and his wife, Helen of Yorktown, Va.; one brother, Kenneth Withrow and his wife, Ruth of Rainelle, W.Va.; one sister, Margaret Withrow Rose and her husband, Wade of Rainelle, W.Va.; four grandchildren, Elena, Angela and Joseph Dennie of Yorktown, Va., and Cynthia Faith Chapman of Mechanicsville, Va. She was preceded in death by her son-in-law, David Chapman. She was an active and beloved member of Greenwood United Methodist Church. Mrs. Dennie was a native of Fayette County, W.Va., attended Concord College, was an executive secretary and retired from the County of Henrico. Elizabeth was an avid gardener and many people enjoyed her blueberries. The family will receive friends at the Bliley Funeral Homes' Staples Mill Chapel, 8510 Staples Mill Rd., 2 to 4 and 6 to 8 p.m. Friday, January 27. Funeral services will be held 11 a.m. Saturday, January 28, at Greenwood United Methodist Church, 10040 Greenwood Rd., Glen Allen, Va., Rev. G. Dean Pittman officiating. Interment will follow at Westhampton Memorial Park.