is chemo worth it?

tammy_

I've heard so many different opinions about how chemo is so hard to go through that it's not worth it at all. Is it? From what I"ve read chemo can extend your life expectancy by more than double. But it's also hell to go through. Is chemo worth going through or should we just say no to chemo?

I really need some advice...thanks,

Tammy

I had chemo and radiation at the same time. That was 8 yrs ago. Mostly I was just very tired. I am sure some of the fatigue was also from the "stress" of being told you have lung cancer that is pressing on nerves and blood vessels and pleura etc and going through all the testing etc.

I am alive. I am NED. I think it was well worth it. Besides that the pain I was having was gone in just a couple of treatments.

Donna G

P S I forgot to mention I did loose hair! The up side, no shaving for months! Very quick blow dry ( very few stands of hair to fix)

Tammy,

It's worth it. Of course everyone is different (I have had few side effects, been lucky) and a lot of factors (type, size, stage, age, health etc) play into the equation. Bottom line a individual choice. One does not know unless one tries it. I myself would still do it regardless of the side effects if it's going to help me beat this thing or at the very least stay alive as long as possible. Been doing the chemo tango for 37 months and still have a life. They have come a long way in chemo and medications to off set side effects. Hope this helps.

Rich

I just finished 8weeks of chemo and radiation.Felt achy a couple days a week and tired but no really bad side effects,no nausea at all,didnt even lose my hair.Go for it!Yes it is worth it.I dont know if it worked for me or not,scans next month will tell,but anything that will fight this monster is definatly worth a try.

prayers to you

Marie

10-1/2 years after chemo and radiation treatments my vote is, YES it's worth it! I had minor side effects from my treatments.

And FayA said a mouth full regarding LIFE! The what if's will haunt you no matter which way you go.

Sometimes chemo works and sometimes it don't.

POSITIVE ATTITUDE is half the battle in surviving cancer. I went into my treatments saying over and over and over, I CAN DO THIS, I CAN DO THIS, I WON'T GET SICK!

Hi Tammy,

You always hear the bad things about chemo. I think it depends on the kind, amount and each person is sooo different. I had 8 rounds of chemo, and had radiation at the same time. My radiation was way hard. I also believe it saved my life. I tolerated chemo extremely well. I was tired, but a far as the stomach, I was only sick two times. Chemo is way worth it whether you get sick or not. What is a few months of sickness and pain if you live. Good luck to you and take care.

Mare

It's at least worth a try. If you can't tolerate it, you can re-evaluate then, but you won't know how your body reacts until you give it a shot. For instance, my mother got through six cycles Cisplatin/Etposide, which is very heavy-duty, with manageable side effects. She was pretty sick (tired nauseous) for a few days each cycle, but that was the trade-off for the tumor shrinking 90 percent and being able to enjoy most days during a four-month period. She just went through a couple of cycles of a different, second-line chemo -- Topotecan -- that was much tougher on her. So after consulting with the doctor, she stopped -- which any patient can do at any time. Now she's waiting to get some of her strength back so she can try something new and keep on living!

Hi Tammy,

For my Mom chemo was not too bad...she lost hair and was tired but thats about it...the hair grew back. The chemo/radiation gave her a lot more time and it was also her decision to fight. She didnt have nausea, vomiting or any of the other things you may worry about. Im sure you will come to the right decision for you...Janet

Tammy,

Like most of the responses, mine is also a yes. Chemo has been fairly easy for me - I start my 8th cycle next week. I have only had nausea a few times and the pills handle that. Other than that, I have had a few times where I was tired and needed extra sleep, and one period where I was quite achy, attributed to a drug taken for my white cells.

Living a few more years is worth the minimal side effects.

Best wishes.

Mary

DEb has had I think 5 Lines of chemo plus 8 weeks of Maximum Curative Radiation, ove rthe last 3 years and I love and respect her so much, UHOH MELTDOWN STARTING I THINK!?, that I loved her so much more each day. She fought so hard every day to have another day to live and fight that it is amazing actually. She was 9 weeks shy of a 3 year fight and was to start Alimta Avastin the day she went home from this earthly place. 10 people were at her funeral yesterday and it was the same 10 who were at our wedding almost 9 years ago. Remember yesterday, Liv efor today and Pray for tomorrow. I know this firsthand. Much love and prayers for you now.

This is a decision that only you can make, and I pray that God aids you in your decision and brings you comfort in whatever it may be.

I know for my husband, the chemo was absolutely worth it. I can say that I think it was worth it for him, and definitely worth it for me.

Each person reacts differently to chemo, but there are so many different ones out there, and so many new antinausea medications available now to help with it.

All I can say is that upon diagnosis my husband was told he could expect about 9 months. He's had a LOT of chemo, and I think because of it he's going on 3 years now. I am grateful and thankful for each and every one of these extra days we are being blessed with. After this length of time, it is more difficult because chemo does cumulate and wear the body down. In the beginning, Keith tolerated it well; a day or two of nausea and some exhaustion. He likened it to having a hangover. Now, he has more side effects from his chemo, mostly severe exhaustion and nausea, but he still is able to work full time. He is still able to laugh and enjoy the many good moments we have together. He is still here and able to hold me as we fall asleep at night. He is still alive and not just technically alive but he is still LIVING life to its fullest. For us... it was worth it 100%.

You are in my prayers

Carleen