MRI, CT & PET Scan results

Patty

All was okay except for the PET Scan showed "something" at surgery site where the mass was removed. Onc doesn't believe it is cancer, either inflammation, scar tissue, etc. but needs to be looked at again in 2-1/2 months. Referred me to a pulmonary dr, maybe he can do something to help with the pain, coughing, shortness of breath or whatever the problem is down in there, I guess. Soooooooo....I'd really like to believe that it's not cancer and that I am going to be cured, but lately the lung cancer survival "statistics" have really gotten me down. They have told me that I have a good chance of being cured, but a big part of me says that I'm not going to be that lucky, so I am going to worry for another 2-1/2 month. My Onc says I probably have over a 50% chance. To me that is the difference between yes & no. A flip of the coin as to whether I am going to live or die! I know, I know, I still have a LOT to be thankful for, and I know it in my head, just need to convince my emotions, heart, nerves, all my aches & pains etc. Any opinions about my PET Scan results or anything else anybody can share with me? Thanks, Patty

Patty,

I know that many people's PET's on here have lit up from time to time, and there was nothing wrong- it was from scar tissue, etc.

That said, I understand everything that you are saying, and have been there and back and there again! Right now I am nearing my first 6 month checkup with my Onc (before now it had always been every 3 or 4 months - the waiting 6 months is killing me) and am a bundle of nerves - every ache and pain I am sure is the cancer.

This survival thing isn't easy. Between second guessing each pain and wondering why we are the 'chosen ones', it leaves us little time to celebrate the fact we're alive. I hope that in the 2 1/2 months ahead, you find some time to do that. Whether we worry or not, the outcome is going to be the outcome..worrying never really changed anything that I know of. :roll:

Anyway, all you have to do is read some of the Early Stage posts to see what a mess I (and dare I add others? :wink: ) can be dealing with this disease, so don't feel bad. You're in good company here.. keep posting.

Hi Patty,

I'd like to introduce myself--I am the Anxiety Queen of doctor's visits. I understand very well how you're feeling, but like Debi said, many many pet scans have come back with 'something' for the people here, only to find out it turns out to be nothing after all.

Before I had my pre-surgery PET, I was told by my surgeon that a PET can light up over infection, inflammation, or malignancy. If they don't think it's the cancer, then they probably have a very good reason for feeling that way. Maybe the uptake was lower than a tumor would show.

By the way, it takes a long time after surgery to feel right again, so those nerves and muscles are all jumbled up right now too.

Keep visiting here, we'll help you through all this...it's a lot, but I hope you at least feel better knowing that we all get worried like you.

Cindy

Hi Patty,

I too know how you feel. I have been there and am still there. I just had my 2nd scan since surgery. I was told that something is always going to be there. Most likely scar tissue. I had a nodule to light up in my left lung and it was not cancer, just scar tissue. I still feel scared until I get my test results. Then in about two weeks I start to worry again. I have got to stop doing this. I want to live very badly, but living in fear of death is no way to live. This board helps me with my fears and I hope it helps you also. It is a safe and comforting place to be.

Prayers

Hi Patty,

I know it is impossible to say not to worry. Worry is what most of us do here with most of our time. But I hope I can put you at a little more ease with your PET scan results. My husband has had 3-4 PET scans, and on each one he has had spots that lit up where other tests showed no tumor activity. When we went to the Mayo Clinic, they did a PET and we talked at length about the process. With a PET scan, they use a radiated sugar solution because the theory is that tumor absorb more sugars than normal tissue. However, we were told that other normal things also absorb sugar in high volumes, such as the liver, so a PET scan is not really the best test to look at a liver, bowel and digestive activity lights up, tissues fighting infection and damage light up. But also scar tissue, especially scar tissue that is still in the process of healing and rebuilding from damage consumes a lot more sugar than the surrounding tissue. That is why my daredevil husband always has lit up spots on his scans. His scar tissue always shows up. If this spot is where your surgery was, I think you have every reason and ever right to hold onto hope that it is scar tissue.

I will be praying that you are comforted and brought peace while you go through the next 2 1/2 months until you get results, and I pray they results show scar tissue.

Love to you

Carleen

Hi Patty: I had a PET scan light up my chest wall and hilar area more than a year after my first surgery, and it turned out to not be malignant. I hope you can put your mind at rest. I know it is not easy though. At least it is being closely monitored. That in itself should help put your mind at ease.

Don M