Celebrites who died of Lung Cancer

Guest DaveG

Celebrities who died of Lung Cancer

Kim Perrot (32)

Nat "King" Cole (45) Doug McLure (56) Warren Zevon (56)

Steve McQueen (50) Chris Andromidas (50) Betty Grable (57)

Carl Wison, Beach Boys (51) Edward R. Morrow (57)

Bobby Bonds, Baseball Player, San Francisco Giants (57)

George Harrison, Beatles, (57)

Elizabeth Montgomery, Actress

Wayne McLaren, Marlboro Man, (51) Dick Powell (59)

Roger Maris (51) Larry Linville, M*A*S*H star (60)

Eddie Kendrick (52) Gary Cooper (60)

Jimmy Dorsey (53) Gary Crosby (61)

Larry Gilbert, Golfer (54) Chet Huntley (62)

Mark Belanger, Baltimor Orioles (54) Cal Ripkin, Sr. (63)

Lee Remick (55) Franchot Tone (63)

Susan Hayward (55) Walt Disney (65)

Will Thornbury, Camel Model (56) Yul Brynner (65)

Eddie Rabbit (56) George Peppard (65)

Stephen Ambrose (66)

Sarah Vaughan (66)

Spencer Tracy (66)

Patrick O'Neal (66)

Harry Reasoner (68)

Alan J. Lerner (68)

Desi Arnaz (69)

Nancy Walker (69)

Audrey Meadows (69)

Chuck Connors (71)

John Wayne (72)

Ed Sullivan (72)

Leonard Bernstein (72)

Duke Ellington (75)

Mo Howard, Three Stooges (77)

Henry Morgan (79)

Jack Benny (80)

Arthur Godfrey (81)

This is exactly why I like to re-post this list, as new names are always popping up to be added. It appears as if we may have add baseball great Bobby Bonds, very soon. When on considers the number of basball players, on the list, on wonders why baseball(?).

Many, I know are a direct result of smoking, but why is baseball so much higher than the other areas.

• 2 weeks later...

Those names are listed. All names are listed by age at death. Its good to run this list every now and then to remind ourselves of our vulnerability.

Baseball Players?

Chalk outlining the diamond; dust from sliding face first into home plate; dust and chalk used to dry the hands before batting; Pesticides on the grass; dipping snuff....all of the above or none at all...

Tailors and Dressmakers are at high risk for Interstial Fibrosis of the lungs. Cloth fibers, and dressmakers chalk...

Any one who works in a dusty trade is at risk.

Fay A.

• 3 months later...
Celebrities who died of Lung Cancer

Kim Perrot (32)

Nat "King" Cole (45) Doug McLure (56) Warren Zevon (56)

Steve McQueen (50) Chris Andromidas (50) Betty Grable (57)

Carl Wison, Beach Boys (51) Edward R. Morrow (57)

Bobby Bonds, Baseball Player, San Francisco Giants (57)

George Harrison, Beatles, (57)

Elizabeth Montgomery, Actress

Wayne McLaren, Marlboro Man, (51) Dick Powell (59)

Roger Maris (51) Larry Linville, M*A*S*H star (60)

Eddie Kendrick (52) Gary Cooper (60)

Jimmy Dorsey (53) Gary Crosby (61)

Larry Gilbert, Golfer (54) Chet Huntley (62)

Mark Belanger, Baltimor Orioles (54) Cal Ripkin, Sr. (63)

Lee Remick (55) Franchot Tone (63)

Susan Hayward (55) Walt Disney (65)

Will Thornbury, Camel Model (56) Yul Brynner (65)

Eddie Rabbit (56) George Peppard (65)

Stephen Ambrose (66)

Sarah Vaughan (66)

Spencer Tracy (66)

Patrick O'Neal (66)

Harry Reasoner (68)

Alan J. Lerner (68)

Desi Arnaz (69)

Nancy Walker (69)

Audrey Meadows (69)

Chuck Connors (71)

John Wayne (72)

Ed Sullivan (72)

Leonard Bernstein (72)

Duke Ellington (75)

Mo Howard, Three Stooges (77)

Henry Morgan (79)

Jack Benny (80)

Arthur Godfrey (81)

I have to agree with Estrea. Whenever I see an obit on someone in their 50's, and fought a battle of cancer, I can just guess that it was lung cancer. If families would be more honest, in listing the cause of death, the American public would realize the devastation that lung cancer is causing in the US today. In the time it took me to type this message out, 40 or more people, in the US, died of lung cancer, 1 every 3 seconds.

Guest Estrea

Cary...thanks for that. But, he is an exception. Most of the time you can search the Internet for weeks and not get a specific type of cancer when they say they died of "cancer." In his case, there was the stigma of liver cancer and its association to alcohol. Same kind of thing as lung cancer!

I have noticed that when someone dies of cancer it is often lung cancer, however to hide the fact that it was lung cancer, they use the cancer from a met. I.E. Died from liver Cancer, when in fact the liver became cancerous from the actual lung cancer. This is a lot like aids when they were reporting everyone famous that died from aids the said pneumonia.

When Kates dad died, his cause of death on the death certificate I beleive was heart failure. Later added due to Lung Cancer. Kate will have to validate this.

It is really sad that the invisible killer is still kept secret by so many.

When someone gets brain or neck cancer, we don't ask if they smoked and drank alcohol. When a women gets cervical or vaginal cancer we don't ask about her sex life. When someone gets stomach cancer or heart cancer, we don't ask if they ate red meat. When someone gets liver cancer we don't ask if they are an alcoholic.

Lung Cancer is the ONLY cancer where the person making the inquiry, asks about your smoking history. In most cases this is a way out for them as the common comebacks will be: "I'm glad that I switched to a low tar/nicotine cigarette", or "I'm glad that I quit smoking x years ago", or "I'm glad that I never smoked". On a few occasions I have actually had people ask about my condition and how am I doing. (The stress is: "on a few occasions")

I know I just read that the Guy that played on the TOOL MAN, TIM TAYLOR Mr. Wilson just died from lung cancer at the age of 58.

Katie, I have to tell you and Rick that on my dad, mom and sisters Death Certificates that all three state cause of death, (Heart failure, Congestive Heart Failure) from compications of Lung cancer. I have never seen a death certificate state (Cause of death: LUNG CANCER). I even have asked many others that I know that have lost family members from it and they to say the same thing you and I have said.

So, if SMOKING CAUSE LUNG CANCER and DEATH, then WHY ISN'T IT ON A DEATH CERTIFICATE???????? I'm just going to stick with what a LOT of doctor's have said to me regarding HOW YOU GET LUNG CANCER and they have said it LOUD AND CLEAR. "Smoking is ONE OF THE FACTORS in HOW PEOPLE GET LUNG CANCER" When they say that SMALL CELL is a smokers disease, my doctor friends have all said, OTHER THINGS FACTOR IN ON SMALL CELL AND SQUAMOUS CELL, ETC...LUNG CANCER.

DISEASES. Point being, I had Adecnocarcinoma and that is more associated with NON-SMOKERS and I was a smoker. My doc's all say SEVERAL THINGS make the the cause for lung cancer, but not just ONE thing does!!

Here's one for you. I had a phone call from a young lady who's mother died from lung cancer. Her mother NEVER smoked or was not ever around second hand smoke. The gal wanted to know from ME how did her mother get Lung Cancer (adeno NCLC) Well, I also heard from this young gal's dad asking me the same questions, I it very nicely told them they had been misinformed, and that Lung Cancer is NOT just a smokers disease. Well............. That's NOT what they wanted to hear and they were very short with me when I stated that.

I also had a phone call from the American Lung Assoc. last month, and they wanted to know HOW MANY PEOPLE I had in my Lung Cancer Support Group that were diagnosed with RADON type Lung Cancer. hummmmmmmmmMM!!!!! I said, I don't know what Radon type of lung cancer is, but I sure would like to when they get all the info on it. I said, we don't have anyone in our group that has lung cancer because of Radon. Wonder why that is?????? Radon is very nasty stuff and does cause lung cancer. hummmmm. More food for thoughts.

I'm rattling on and on. Just had to add some two cents worth on all the stuff being shared on the Activism Group.

Love & Hugs,

Dave G's list inspired me to plug these celebs into a very basic spreadsheet. Name, date of death, claim to fame, and misc. notes. Would there be a way to post it here? Maybe in a place where we could all contribute to it as needed? One of the advantages to a spreadsheet is it can be sorted alphabetically in a heartbeat.

Let's not forget Andy Kaufman, the comic, who was a non-smoker and died of lc.

And I agree, this business of always asking lc patients if they smoked (as if that means they deserve it) is cruel. Most forms of cancer are affected by lifestyle choices. So are diabetes and heart disease. Let's educate to reduce smoking, but give lc patients all the funding, support and research needed!

Jen

Guest Estrea

If we could just do something to get rid of the stigma, the world would open up to us. I have always wanted to hire a PR person to help us do that. I think you need someone who is an expert and pay them -- volunteers can't keep at it the way a professional can and will cause they are being paid.

Any thoughts?

I met a some time ago a scientist that wrote for cancer

all types and presented a paper in Europe

about LUNG CANCER and he proved that smoking was not

the cause of it.

His name is Leuben, I will try to fin him again, he lives in Montreal

Canada.

J.C.

One more for the list: from Canada

Barb Tarbox, former model antismoking activist

died of lung cancer at 42 years old in May 2003.

Also you may read:

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDD-1-75-608/sci ... /asbestos/

also

http:www.mb.lung.ca/spvr.html

so many lung cancers in Canada are put down on the cigarettes and the

people try to make their doctors understand that they were working in

places that gave them cancer, but doctors do not listen.

J.C.