Celebrites who died of Lung Cancer

Guest DaveG

I just read this post and the responding posts for the first time. Something caught my eye right away. You say that very few deaths are listed on the death certificate as lung cancer. I was upset when I got Johnny's death certificate for just the oposite reason. His cause of death is listed as lung cancer. I know for a fact that he died of acute respiratory acidosis. They also listed his time of death after diagnisis wrong. Instead of 5 months they put seven.

Now I have a question about death certificates that maybe someone here can answer. How is a doctor allowed to put the time of death and diagnosis on a death certificate if they do not see the person die or see them after they die? Johnny's is signed by his doctor stating time of death (which they listed as twenty minutes later than it was) and it says clearly to the best of his knowledge. I was with him for 3 hours after he died and a doctor NEVER came into that room with us and there was none there when he died. Just me and a nurse and all she did was stand and watch nothing else!!!!

I know this does not go along with what you are talking about and I do understand the importance of have lung cancer deaths listed properly but too I think that everything on a death certificate should be honest not listed improperly for the purposes of the doctors.

I understand exactly what you are talking about. When my husband, Gianni died the Hospice doctor(who never saw him) put larcogenic carcinoma on his death certificate. I questioned it-through the funeral director-(they got the certificates). I had them change it and even asked his cancer doctor if they put the correct disease the second time-bronchiogenic carcinoma.

As far as the time of death, the Hospice nurse said she had to put the time she arrived, so the time is actually an hour or so later. This didn't bother me as much as the cause of death. The funeral director actually asked if I could keep the first cause-he didn't want to run around and get the new ones.

On my father's death certificate it said Leukemia with contributing factors of other things-can't remember now axactly what. Maybe they can change it to respiratory acidosis contributed by lung cancer.

I would question it until you are satisfied.

The death certificate is part of our legacy. It is important to have it correct.

Good luck

Rosanne

We are getting so many new people posting, it takes a long time to get through everything now. This is a complaint, because lung cancer gets the raw end of the carrot. I wish we didn't need this web site or any other web sites for cancer, but, nonetheless, this website fills a big need of all our members, whether they post or just lurk.

I became very interested in the post Connie made about the husband and daughter calling her. It gets back to the same thing, LUNG CANCER IS THE ONLY CANCER WHERE AN EXPLANATION IS NECESSARY, AND THEN PEOPLE COMPLAIN IF IT IS NOT THE EXPLANATION THEY WERE WANTING. THAN WHY ASK, IN THE FIRST PLACE. DAMN IT PISSES ME OFF TO NO END.

Smoking or no smoking, we are all fighting the most dangerous cancer known to mankind. All we want is the proper recognition and the proper funding, nothing more, just that. To sum it up, if the American people were able to that, we would have the cure. It sickens me that people just don't give a rat's *ss if you have lung cancer. To them, it's our fault.

HORSE HOCKEY, IT'S NOT OUR FAULT WE GOT LUNG CANCER, NO MORE THAN SOMEBODY ELSE GETTING ANOTHER FORM OF CANCER :!::!::!:

• 3 weeks later...

Another one for the list:

Jesse Owens (olympic track star) - 3-31-80.

I just happened on this list and I had to go back and check, but it had struck me because my son did reports on both Jesse Owens and Nat King Cole for school and I thought I remembered both had died of lung cancer.

Jesse Owens did smoke, but I also noted when looking him up that he had bronchial issues and pneumonia as a child. (As a matter of fact, I think he started running to overcome being a sickly kid).

At least the cause of death is pretty consistent on him.

Let's see if this works...

FIRST NAME LAST NAME AGE DATES CLAIM TO FAME NOTES

Stephen Ambrose Ambrose 66 1936-2002 author/historian “Band of Brothers”

Chris Andromidas Andromidas 50 singer/songwriter

Desi Arnaz Arnaz 69 1917-1986 Actor

Mark Belanger Belanger 54 1944-1998 Baseball player, Baltimore Orioles

Jack Benny Benny 80 Comedian Some sources claim pancreatic cancer

Leonard Bernstein Bernstein 72 1918-1990 Composer, conductor, pianist

Bobby Bonds Bonds 57 Baseball player, San Francisco Giants

Yul Brynner Brynner 65 Stage actor

Eric Carr Carr 41 Drummer for Kiss

Lon Cheney Cheney 47 Silent film actor (Phantom of the Opera)

Nat “King” Cole Cole 45 singer/songwriter

Chuck Connors Connors 71 1921-1992 Actor (The Rifleman)

Gary Cooper Cooper 60 Actor

Joe DiMaggio DiMaggio 84 Baseball legend, husband of Marylin Monroe

Walt Disney Disney 65 Founder of Disney Company

Duke Ellington Ellington 75 Musician (It Don't Mean a Thing)

Larry Gilbert Gilbert 54 PGA Senior Tour Golfer

Arthur Godfrey Godfrey 81 1903-1983 Actor, “Chesterfield” pitch-man Had surgery for LC in 1959 – some sources claim emphysema as cause of death

Betty Grable Grable 57 Pin-up girl, actress

George Harrison Harrison 57 Musician (The Beatles)

Susan Hayward Hayward 55 Actress

Mo Howard Howard 77 “Mo” of the Three Stooges

Nancy Gore Hunter Hunter 46 Sister to Al Gore

Chet Huntley Huntley 62 1911-1974 Journalist, worked with David Brinkley

Andy Kaufman Kaufman 35 1949-1984 actor/comedian Non-smoker

Eddie Kendrick Kendrick 52 Singer (Temptations)

Alan Lerner Lerner 67 1918-1986 Broadway Composer

Larry Linville Linville 60 1939-2000 Actor, M*A*S*H* (Frank Burns)

Roger Maris Maris 51 Baseball player, New York Yankees

Bob Marley Marley 36 Musician, reggae Some say he had melanoma on his toe

Wayne McLaren McLaren 51 The Marlboro Man (no kidding!)

Doug McLure McLure 56 TV actor (The Virginian)

Steve McQueen McQueen 50 Actor

Audrey Meadows Meadows 69 1926-1996 “Alice Kramden” (Honeymooners)

Robert Mitchum Mitchum 79 1917-1997 Actor (Cape Fear)

Agnes Moorehead Moorehead 74 Actress (Bewitched)

Henry Morgan Morgan 79 1915-1994 Actor (I've got a secret) Not to be confused with Harry Morgan (M*A*S*H*)

Edward R. Murrow Murrow 57 1908-1965 Reporter, radio and tv

Patrick O'Neal O'Neal 66 -1994 Actor

Jesse Owens Owens 66 1913-1980 Olympian track star, humiliated Hitler Smoked a pack a day

George Peppard Peppard 65 1928-1994 Actor, “A-Team”

Kim Perrot Perrot 32 1967-1999 WNBA star Non-smoker, declined chemo after surgery, had mets to brain

Dick Powell Powell 59 1904-1963 Actor

Vincent Price Price 82 Actor

Eddie Rabbit Rabbit 56 singer/songwriter

Harry Reasoner Reasoner 1923-1991 Reporter

Lee Remick Remick 55 1935-1991 Actress Kidney and lung cancer

Cal Ripkin Sr. Ripkin 63 Baseball player

Ed Sullivan Sullivan 72 Host of “The Ed Sullivan Show”

Will Thornbury Thornbury 56 Camel Model

Franchot Tone Tone 63 1905-1968 Actor

Spencer Tracy Tracy 66 Actor

Jim Varney Varney 50 Actor (“Vern”)

Sarah Vaughn Vaughn 66 1924-1991 Jazz and bebop singer

Nancy Walker Walker 69 1922-1992 Broadway and tv actress

John Wayne Wayne 72 Actor Exposed to radiation on movie set

Stephen Weiss Weiss -2001 Artist, husband of Donna Karan

Carl Wilson Wilson 51 Musician (The Beach Boys)

Warren Zevon Zevon 56 singer/songwriter Mesothelioma

• 1 month later...