First-time poster

trish2418

After a few weeks of lurking in this wonderful site, I've finally gathered the courage to introduced myself.

I'm a 48-yr. old wife and mother of a wonderful 12-yr. old daughter. Checked myself into the ER on 8/15/05, and 4 days and a battery of tests and procedures later, was diagnosed with Stage IIIB NSCLC (adeno with squamous features).

I began chemo late Aug. and radiation late Sept. (1xdayx25) and went in for a mediastinoscopy on 11/23/05. Unfortunately, hilar region lymph node tested positive for cancer and plans for pneumonectomy were scrapped. Back to chemo (last (hopefully) session scheduled for 2/3/05 and radiation (1xdayx10 - maximum exposure) and PET scan on 2/17/05 for restaging.

IF PET is clear, will begin Tarceva; if not, but tumor still responding, back to Taxotere (yuck).

I've been fortunate in that I have not suffered any debilitating side-effects, just the usual but tolerable fatigue, hair loss, acid reflux, etc. My daughter's schedule remains unchanged, and I continue working full-time (thank goodness for humane employers).

Worst part is having to give control over to the doctors and not knowing what my status will be at any given point in the future. Trying to take it one day at a time, but I've got the patience of a toddler and that part is difficult.

Looking forward to sharing insights with all you wonderful and compassionate people and wishing the best for everyone.

Trish

Hi Trish.

welcome!

I completely understand drifting into the future and then wising up and settling with the day! It takes practice to keep yourself in today.

Sounds like you are doing well with your treatments! Good for you.

I am a stage lllB survivor too.

Glad you joined us. Will be looking for more posts from you. Anything that we can do to help, we are here for you!

Cindi o'h

Welcome, Trish! Glad you finally posted. Soounds like the plan is in hand. My wife had Taxotere and Carboplatin as her first chemo and she had many side effects, but it was worth it. Knocked the beast in the head. Lucie is over 3 years as survivor now, so take heart. Keep us posted. Don

Welcome Trish. Glad you found us. You may be new to us but you are already a veteran of this fight. Prayers going up for a wonderful response to this next round. Keep us posted. Donna G

Hi Trish, and welcome

I, like you, was a lurker on this site since August when my husband was diagnosed with NSCLC, and have just now found my voice on this site. The compassion, advice, thoughts and prayers from all the members makes this horrible journey a little easier.

I'm glad you're feeling well. Our prayers will be with you as you continue this journey.

Sandra

Hi Trish,

I think the ability to tolerate treatment is a very important factor in this battle. It seems that those who can get through the prescribed course of treatment without any major hitches have a lot of success. I wish you continued good results....

Cindy

Hi Trish. I'm glad you "came out" and are no longer lurking. I have found so much support and great knowledge form the people on this site. I'm replying just to let you know that my friend Marc, also diagnosed with IIIb, and also, after mediastinoscopy, was deemed inorperable (at the time) due to lymph node involvement, has had great success with a combo of Gemzar, Alimta, and Avastin. I know each person is different, and each case unique, but it may be worth asking your doc about. Marc had been on "traditional" chemos without much result, but is really responding to this new cocktail. I wish you the best of luck and remission. Take care.

Hey Trish,

It seems our staging and treatment is very similar. I have had very good success with my treatment. If you have any questions, I will do my best to help!!!!

I am so glad you are holding up so well.

Welcome and God Bless!!

Jamie

Welcome Trish,

Sorry you had to come here, but great place for info. and support. The waiting for the other shoe to drop is the most difficult for me too. It will be less and less in your mind if your test results remain good, but it will always be there to a degree, if that makes any sense. It's the new normal and you do learn to live with it. Not like we have a choice. Take care and good luck to you. Your very lucky to have good employers.

Mare

Hi Trish!

Glad you found us. I've been here a while but I guess that's a good thing. :D

I was in my 30's when diagnosed. I'm "older now" but my youngest is now 12 (I have 2 that are older). Having the kids does seem to help motivate you. At least it did for me. I kept up the fight through the chemo, rads and surgery. Mine ended in a pneumonectomy. It is a blessing that you have not suffered too many side effects from treatment. You are very fortunate. I also worked through treatment and it was tough. Make sure you take care of yourself too. Don't try to do it all!!

I will keep you in my prayers for a successful PET scan and that treatment will do the job! I will also pray that you find patience as you continue this journey. Waiting for scans, test results, treatment decisions etc. is absolutely crazy at times. We've all been there.

Good luck and keep us posted.