New Game - Remember When

Ann

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wait till you read this one.....

I remember when the elementary school I attended for the first three grades had a coal stove in each room. The boys would take turns bring in coal for each morning.

I'm really not as old as Abraham Lincoln!!! This school was a little school in the Applachians. We did have electricity...lol. There was a coal furnace in the basement and a stove in each room, as the furnance couldn't really warm all of the two story building.

I remember when we watched filmstrips at school.. and it was quite a priviledge to be asked by the teacher to turn the knob & advance each frame.. sometimes there would even be a record to match the filmstrip.. and it would beep each time it was time to advance the film !!!

I also remember the ditto sheets.. is that what they were called? The teacher would pass out the fresh "run offs" and everybody would be inhaling the ink as the sheets went back.. the ink would still be wet. In 6th and 7th grade my math teacher had his own "run off machine" in the back of the room.. I can still see him cranking each page out.. one at a time.

I remember when having to stand in the corner was a standard punishment... and if you turned your head the teacher would yell "keep that nose in the corner!"

Waiting for the TV to warm up.

Portable TV's on the TV stands

TV Repairmen

Fireman not Firefighters

Gaucho Pants

Rolled Up Jeans

Calvin Klein Jeans & Brooke Shields

Farrah Fawcett Hair (the flip out wings)

Dorothy Hammill Hair and Short and Sassy Shampoo

"Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific" Shampoo

"Pong" video game

IBM Selectric Typewriters

Manual Typewriters

Library Science and having to learn the "Dewey Decimal System."

110 Film for cameras and the Flip Flop flashcubes

Watching the Gong Show and actually thinking it was funny

Getting the smallpox vaccination.. and my mom telling me my arm would fall off if I scratched it.

Penny Candy

When the TV stations signed off after the Tonight Show and everything turned to "snow."

Holding the microphone of my taperecorder next to the radio to tape my favorite songs on AM radio.

Eight Track Tapes

50's dress up days in middle school

When Gone With the Wind had its TV premier (1976?)

Watching Guy Lombardo on NYE

Watching The Lawrence Welk show & Hee Haw

FotoHuts? - The place to drop off film to be developed.

Homemade Wine Coolers

When you actually had to spit in the dentists bowl (not the little suction thingys.

Home Economics for Girls and Shop for boys

Cartoons before the movie

Drive-In Movies

There is not mentioned so far that I don't remember :oops:

Ok here goes

Wood stoves, out houses,Beanie and Cecil, When INTERMISSON came on the tv screen, Spin and Marty,gas wars when you could get gas for 16 cents a gallon, MCDonald's 15 for a dollar hamburgers,riding in a convertable with the top down, Puddle skirts and neckerchiefs and cardigan sweaters worn backwards buttoned up the back, 5 cent cokes in the little bottles you returned for the deposit, saddle shoes, school nurses who made sure you ate all of your lunch, passenger trains with chefs and meals made fresh, baby asperine.

I could go on all night but boy does it make me wish some of these things were still around!

What about:

parachute pants, MC Hammer pants, Tight-rolling jeans, Really tight jeans--(the tighter the better), you could buy Charles chips from the truck.

BIG hair( the bigger the better).

(The eighties were a big influence obviously)

I thought of some more!

Station wagons, Hudsons, Studebakers, going to the movie and staying all day when you saw 2 or 3 movies, a news reel and several cartoons and it only cost about 80 cents.Going shopping when there were no big malls and you walked from store to store dodging the rain and listening to the Christmas music that played so loud you could hear it everywhere you went. Everyone said Merry Christmas and no one thought about telling you that it was wrong. Making mud pies and playing cowboy and indians using sticks for rifles and hatchets. Flash Gordon and Roy Rodgers.

My older cousin used to be my babysitter. She saved her babysitting money and bought the most beautiful poodle skirt you could ever imagine.....and a big petticoat to go underneath!!!!

Lilly,

I rememeber the Sat. mattinees (sp ?). My mom gave me 50 cents, for the movie, pop corn and a drink. Used to spend all my Sat. afternoons there.

Wow what a memory.. :D

I rally like Flash Gordon, Could you believe how phoney it would look today? Clutch Cargo, was really dumb with the moving mouths :roll:

Always like Star Trek and the Next Generation

Maryanne

Geri,

Don't laugh, but in 2003 it cost me less

for better food for two people than now

for one person, inflation????

Remeber some prices of the old days after

all I'm 78, for $1.00 you got

1 bread

i dozen eggs

1 quart of milk

1 pound of butter

I remember the price of beer at $6.99

for 24 poor Frank he was too young top drink in those days.

Jackie

I remember 5 cent candy bars

I remember 10 cent pay phones

I remember when 50 cents worth of gas

gt you some place

I remember going to the "little"

store down the street, getting bread,

milk and mom's cigarettes and saying

put it on dad's tab.

They sold cigarettes to anyone back then.

Hi Joanie,

We did't call them matrons here we called them ushers. You made me laugh when I remembered the flashlights. They always found a seat for you. Made people move over.

Did you every listen to your party line? We had phone numbers begining with letters. Ours was Saratoga 5, and Cumberland 9

Maryanne

I guess i'm a lot younger than everyone else. I dont remember any of this stuff. Here's what my generation probably remembers.

POGS, the new kids on the block tapes, wind pants, huge barrettes made out of shoe laces, watching the Gulf War on the news, the OJ verdict,bubbletape gum,and Titanic the Movie.

Wow I couldn't find this and thought I had really lost my marbles :oops: I see some of the responses seem to have gotten lost in the transfer. Anyway I have a few more to add.

wringer washers

wash boards

cloth diapers

wood cooking stoves

15 minute soap operas like

Valiant Lady

Search for Tomorrow

Love of Life

Old show Hop Along Cassidy

Radio soap Helen Trent

Amos and Andy

While growing up I remember watching the train go by. we would count the cars on it. My biggest memory of all this was to see new automobiles that were on the train to be delivered. You know those little name tags that the dealer puts on the trunk lid. They used to be made of metal and had 2 screws that held them on. Anyway, I used to think that the car came from the factory with them so the train station would know where to deliver the cars to. :lol::lol: