Wow! First Chemo Response

Guest dantedressage

Guest dantedressage

:shock: Well, My Dad went in for his second round of chemo this morning after dx'd with extensive on Jan 6th. Doc said on chest xray a 75% reduction of the mass!! He has done so well with the chemo. Doc says keep a high outlook and to remember that sclc usually responds quickly to therapy because it is so aggressive. I told my dad how so very proud of him I am and how strong he has always been and still is! I'm VERY excited! Thanks guys for you all being so supportive.

Question; To those of you who have family members with cancer, has anyone quit their job or struggled with work? I am in a high stress industry, expected to produce certain numbers and put up with a lot of BS but I have just felt myself slip and have actually contemplated taking some time to myself and re-evaluating. Any experiences out there?

Thanks so much

Kimberly

Kimberly...so glad to hear your dad had a good response to the first chemo. That kind of news always helps to make you feel so much better about the situation.

I was in an extrememly high stress job when Dennis was diagnosed. Thank goodness the company I worked for was very flexible and cooperative and adjusted my schedule so I could always go with him for all his appointments. I worked up until a month before losing him. Looking back, I wish I could have afforded to stop working much earlier in his illness and have more time with him.

Kimberly - I am so glad to hear about the great response to chemo. That is wonderful.

I too am in a high stress job situation and good part part of my performance is evaluated based on the number of hours billed out. After my dad's diagnosis, I was at work, but billed a very small amount for about 1-1/2 months. After that period of time, I was able to reinsert myself into my job. I think there is an initial period of time after diagnosis where you become essential nonfunctional.

Lynn

Kimberly,

Glad to hear your dad had such a great response. As far as struggling at work, yes yes and yes.

My job requires full concentration and I just don't have that sometimes. You can probably take FMLA, but be careful. I took it intermittently when mom was going through chemo/brain mets were diagnosed and I am very glad I was there with her through that, but now I really really need it (for me and her)and it is not available. It is so hard to decide WHEN is the most critical time to be with your loved one. Good luck!

Hi Kimberly -

After a lot of thought, I quit my job to be with my mom...and I will never regret that -- yet, wait til you see how he does with more chemo. I agree with Lori, the hardest thing is to know when you really have to be there -- but you will know, it became very clear to me one morning.

I am thrilled for your dad -- that is such fantastic news.

Holly

Glad to hear about your Dad's great response to chemo so far. I only work part-time so I didn't have quite the pressures that you face. I did lots of 5 am drives to my mom's out of state just to take her to her onc, have lunch, and drive 2 hrs home. Don't remember how I did it. You just go. It all seems so long ago, yet just like yesterday. Hope your Dad continues to sail thru chemo.

Nancy

Kimberly,

this is great news how your Dad has responded to his treatments.

As for the work issue most my income comes from commission and if I am not working not getting as much money to live on, but Alan's health was way more important. Also my company was great in letting me come and go as I needed to attend to Alan and then let me change my hours altoghther so I am home in the early afternoon to spend as many good hours a day with Alan as I can. He is usually in bed by 7:00pm so when I was getting home at 5:30 we had so little time together. I am now home by 2:15.

I also did take about 3 weeks of family leave in August and will never regret that. I truly wish I could just up a quit and that is just not an option. The hardest part of my day is walking out the front door to come to work in the morning. I hope you will be able to find a solution that works for you and your dad. Prayers for you and your family