Feeding tube...what to expect?

Irisheyes

My dad saw his oncologist today and he wants him to get in to see a gastrointologist asap. They called off radiation for a 2nd week due to his esophagus pain and weight loss. He is scheduled to see the gastrointologist Friday morning and will probably have a feeding tube put in.

Based on everyones experiences, will he be hospitalized during the time he has a feeding tube or is this something you can go home with?

So hard not being there for the doc visit and would like to clear my schedule in case he is hospitalized and I need to get on a plane.

Thanks, again...Shannon

Hi Shannon,

My Mom had a feeding for awhile as she could not swallow. Without it she would not have made it as long as she did. I took care of her tube and once you get the correct info it is nort hard. The good thing is you can build up your Dads calories without any effort from him. Also his meds can all be put through the tube. If he doesnt need it at a later date they can remove it. Good luck with it

Janet

My FIL had severe pancreatitis and was unable to eat. He had a feeding tube in for months. He was hospitalized for a few days and then came home with the tube. My MIL was able to care for him and became very comfortable with the tube. They did have a home nurse that came in and checked things out. The tube is now out and he is tolerating soft foods. This sshould be great for adding weight and nourishment. Praying things go well for your dad.

Is he having the NG (nasal gastric) tube or the one that is placed directly into the stomach? I have friends who have had both, and they agree that the stomach tube is the way to go. Easier on them-physically. Just have to make sure the tube is kept clean at the insertion site.

I want to tell you about my friend, Jim. Most of his docs had given up on him. He went to several places trying to find someone to treat his mets (he had only one lung and the mets were on the side of his only Lung.) He finally found a radiologist willing to help him, and in order to do the radiation he had to have a feeding tube. So he did. And here it is, many years later, and Jim is still with us. He is short of breath, but he is happy to breathing, and he lives each day with joy. (He raises Jack Russells!)

Tell your Dad I'm thinking of him and wishing him strength to get through what he needs to go through in order to live well.

i have had good and bad with the feeding tube issue. My cousin tom had his in for over a year because he had mouth and tounge cancer and could not eat solid foods and only took in meal replacements and jucie that he made himself in that Jack LaLane juicer. he did well with it.

my mom had one and we had nothing but bad results with it. it got infected, fell out once and whenever we fed her sometimes the liquid would leak back out and cause her great discomfort.

just make sure a good surgeon does the procedure and clean it as often as they tell him too.

good luck

I had a feeding tube for about three months after radiation for basically the same reason.

It was an out patient procedure and I felt no pain at all. Make sure it is kept clean watch for any infection. My nutritionist said that I could be the poster child for feeding tubes (cause mine was so clean). From what I understand they can get pretty yucky. It was a pain in the butt sometimes but it saved my life. I had it removed once I could start eating again. I have a little hole in my tummy. I thought about getting the feeding tube hole and my belly button pierced and connecting the two holes with a silver chain. Let me know when it's time for it to be removed---I have some helpful tips.

GOD BLESS!!

Jamie

The only thing I didn't see mentioned is clogging the tube. You have to be very careful if you are using it for medications that it does not get clogged. That means a trip to the ER and maybe a replacement of the tube. You can get some with a pump and some are gravity fed using a pole. She'll be fine -- just keep it clean and make sure it doesn't get pulled on when you move her or it will have to be reinserted. They're doable. Good luck.

Along with what Ry said---you may want to check with your doc. on this one.

If my tube ever got clogged--I would pour coca cola in it and it would unclog it. It did make the tube look brown (which was not very attractive) but it did work.

I used sodas on a regular basis to keep it unclogged.

Club Soda would not leave the tubing brown as did the Coca Cola, but you should first check with the docs. Also, don't assume that medication in pill form can be (safely) crushed to make it pass through the tubing more easily...This may not be true. Ask the pharmacist if medications can be crushed before doing so. Also, may want to check to see if any meds are available in liquid form for ease in taking.

My dad had gastric bypass and a feeding tube because of obstructive tumor in his small intestine. Yes, you can go home with a g-tube. You may beed a pump, and some have a portable pouch so you can take it with you.

We had to fluch Dad's tube every 4 hours with tap water. His flow rate was very slow because he couldn't tolerate a fast rate, so he was prone to plugs. If you have any problems with that, please PM me. We had great sucess with a small 10 cc syringe to force out the plug. Oncologic surgeon also okayed a little hydrogen peroxide when the plug was very tough.

If you have problems with spillage from the tube site, it can be bery painful as the stomach acid will eat at the skin. A barrier cream works well keeping the spillage off the skin.

I hope this will allow time for the esophagus to heal. Maybe a stomach acid reducer will help prevent backsplash into the esophagus.

best wishes,

Suz

Hi, I'm a little late here but wanted to add a positive note. My Dad has Parkinson's Disease and has swallowing problems. His weight had dropped drastically. He decided to go with the feeding tube (into the stomach) and he has gained alot of weight! He lives in a nursing facility so they manage the care of it but he has had it for a year and has had no problems. The staff recently mentioned that they should be replaced every year, but I do not know what they were basing that on and that isn't where you are at yet. Good luck and hope you get lots of info tomorrow!

Lynne